Holy mother of bloatware, batman!

Search This thread

Baldilocks

May 31, 2010
Dover, DE
So you basically disabled half the features of the phone and some at&t apps? Why do you consider SNote and Group Play to be bloat ware? I consider carrier added apps bloat ware, not manufacturer added apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

I didn't disable SNote. I don't need any of the other Samsung features at this point.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.

cl_l

Apr 9, 2013
Miami
Just got mine today. I don't really notice any lag between opening apps and going to home (except maybe that quarter second lag to get to home even though i disabled svoice). Honestly I don't see why people are being so overly dramatic and saying they're going to sell the phone instead of enjoying the fantastic hardware they have in their hands... I'm sure when more people get their hands on the S4 root will quickly become available.
I'm coming from an S2 which is why I might love this phone so much but honestly... give it time.

ama3654

May 26, 2006
London
HTC U11
i'm sure the lag and stutter will soon be ironed out with software update, S3 was the same when Jelly bean was initially released, subsequent updates took care of that. The S4 has 4.2.2 first test firmwares, give it sometime and a few updates before coming to conclusions.

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
Nothing is perfect and iOS isn't either. Look how many updates they have pushed out this year and in rapid succession for security bugs.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Nothing is perfect and iOS isn't either. Look how many updates they have pushed out this year and in rapid succession for security bugs.

At least they push out updates rapidly. Seems like android bugs will frequently be discovered but it somehow takes 6-8 months to get an update to fix a relatively simple one, because there are 50 million different android devices, and the update schedule is dictated by 1000 different carriers.

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
True and that is the trade off with so many different OEM's chip sets and carrier bloat ware. Google could have forced it another way but its open sourced OS.

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
I was going to disable them like you did and I noticed the warning that "other apps may not work properly" or have errors. Being as you did this, I'd like a report. Do you see any difference at all, having disabled them?

i know with the AT&T apps, disabling or uninstalling them you will get that warning, but they dont affect the performance of your phone in a negative way when you delete the apk's.

Reactions: fukenbiker

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
The ATT crapware is priority #1 for disabling and removal when possible via root. The other apps I will do on a case by case basis.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
I was going to disable them like you did and I noticed the warning that "other apps may not work properly" or have errors. Being as you did this, I'd like a report. Do you see any difference at all, having disabled them?

It's been almost 48 hours and I haven't had any issues at all. So I think it's safe to disable everything shown in my op. As always your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Aou

Aug 4, 2008
Arizona
I would really like to see a comprehensive list of bloatware applications on the stock rom. Something as simple as:
App Name ....... filename.apk ......... Safe to Remove (green/yellow/red) .......... Description

If someone has enough spare time in their day to create an ongoing list like this, that would likely be the best way to approach this bloatware epidemic.

raqball

Jun 21, 2010
New York
So you basically disabled half the features of the phone and some at&t apps? Why do you consider SNote and Group Play to be bloat ware? I consider carrier added apps bloat ware, not manufacturer added apps.
I consider most of the Samsung apps as bloat..

Do I really need Google Books and Samsung Books? Do I need Google Music and Samsung Music? How about Google Play and Samsung Apps, Samsung Games?

These are WTF apps --> Com2uSPoker, BlurbCheckout, Match3VS..

This phone is LOADED to the hilt with junk..

Reactions: phositadc

phositadc

May 7, 2010
I consider most of the Samsung apps as bloat..

Do I really need Google Books and Samsung Books? Do I need Google Music and Samsung Music? How about Google Play and Samsung Apps, Samsung Games?

These are WTF apps --> Com2uSPoker, BlurbCheckout, Match3VS..

This phone is LOADED to the hilt with junk..

I agree... shocking, really. If I wanted any of this garbage, Samsung should just let me download it from the freaking play store.... don't force it down my throat and prevent me from even deleting it!

cybershawngates

Jan 28, 2012
suprisingly from what I can tell none of this bloatware includes any kind of app if your phone gets lost? I'm installing lookout but turning off the malware stuff since 4.2.2 android has built in malware protection. Someone needs to a create a bloatware disabler app for those of us that don't want to install a custom rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEVER have I seen a phone with so much bloatware. And this is just the stuff I disabled!

Funny how things are so subjective. I just spent the last 2 hours with an S4 and One side by side.

I think everything is better on the S4 except the screen brightness.

I must just not be as picky. Even side by side with the One, I didn't think the S4 seemed laggy at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Just got mine today. I don't really notice any lag between opening apps and going to home (except maybe that quarter second lag to get to home even though i disabled svoice). Honestly I don't see why people are being so overly dramatic and saying they're going to sell the phone instead of enjoying the fantastic hardware they have in their hands... I'm sure when more people get their hands on the S4 root will quickly become available.
    I'm coming from an S2 which is why I might love this phone so much but honestly... give it time.
    NEVER have I seen a phone with so much bloatware. And this is just the stuff I disabled!

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are going to disable all that Samsung software whats the point in getting an S4? It seems their software was the big upgrade this time around and the hardware less so.
    I don't think Com2UsPoker, Adapt Sound, At&T Family Maps, ChoKUKor, YPmobile,TripAdvisor, BlurbCheckout, Match3VS, or most any software displayed in the screenshots are particularly unique to the GS4. I'm sure most of us will not lament the absence of the majority of the displayed list of applications. All in all, it's a rather rude of Samsung and AT&T to put all of that clearly invaluable software on a $700 phone, then make it uninstallable.

Typed on savaged goods.

In my previous post I was referring to Samsung software.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

The point? Having a beautiful screen and the best hardware on the market.

I think I speak for many people on this forum when I say that if I could get a GS4 with vanilla Android, I would do so in an instant and never look back.

Being the best is debatable. Nevertheless if you want a pure stock experience, then you might as well get a Nexus 5 when it comes out. It will be unlocked, cheaper, and probably have better specs.