Home screen weather app disappearing?

Search This thread

mcrox

Sep 13, 2020
The 9/15/21 Google update broke the weather on my Pixel 4a. The weather widget doesn't disappear, it just functions in any number of erratic ways. Occassionally it works properly, usually it says 'unable to show weather for the location', sometimes the favorites are gone, sometimes selecting a location opens a previous one, and on and on. Clicking on the temperature on the Google search page displays the info for my location but if I choose 'tomorrow' or '10 days', it shows whatever problem I'm currently experiencing. Doesn't matter if I add a duplicate widget, change Google accounts, change Nova to Pixel launcher, clear cache, clear Google data, restart phone... whatever problem I'm having continues. Only thing that fixes it is to remove Google updates and then all works as should and my original favorites are back regardless of what changes or locations I added while it was acting up while Google was updated.
Update... perhaps this should be posted elsewhere. Just noticed it's P5 forum but it's best I found while searching.

Last edited:
Reactions: andybones

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Seriously. I'm getting sick of this redundancy..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-232700.png
    Screenshot_20210918-232700.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 52

EvanVanVan

Jun 27, 2009
I've had pretty good luck with the "redundant" Google widget hidden on an unused 3rd home screen. The weather stayed for over a week. Just in the past couple days I've been in an area/buildings with terrible/zero service and the weather has disappeared, but it's come back reliably once I got home.

As an update to my last post, when I removed the redundant widget initially the weather disappeared a few hours later..but like i said, it been good when it's kept hidden on another screen.

Reactions: andybones

EvanVanVan

Jun 27, 2009
It seems that a lot of apps, weather from Google included, are not allowing VPN connections. Even XDA didn't load when connected. I'm not sure if it's only my VPN but I have seen reports of this recently. Even messages chat services will not connect unless I turn off the VPN or make an exception.

Yeah, Google maps takes forever to connect/load traffic data if I don't turn off VPN for a second.

bobby_sucker

Dec 28, 2012
Centre of Europe
Google Pixel 4 XL
Yeah same here, Proton VPN. Did you just make an exception and if so what did you exclude? I couldn't find a specific weather app so I excluded Google although I hate to open all of that.
Yes, just added "Google" and "geodata from multiple sources" (System apps exclusions) in Proton.
The geodata is probably for no reason, just to make sure navigation won't have any hiccups while running VPN.
So far, the home screen widget seems to work with no issues.
It has been like that for few days already, but i will keep monitoring tho :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobby janow

Baronik

Sep 5, 2008
Otwock, Poland
It's definitelly something wrong here, but I can't fugure out what - I've just updated to latest Google app update (2021.09.19.402388881.Release), which introduce new widgets from Pixel 6s'. Now I got on homescreen two weather indicator - one from usual widget (with date) and one from new google app. Both shows the current weather, but only the first allows to get inside and check all the data (current/tomorrow/10 days), while the other starting the same app, but says weather is not available for my place. I've tried removing all updates to Google app and re-updating it, cleared app cache, checked localisation setting, nothing helped. I use no VPN, stock soft after latest update to Android 12 on stock Pixel 5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For the past two days the temperature display on the stock home screen has disappeared. Additionally, I can't figured out how to access the Google Weather app at all. Restarting the phone brings back the temperature/app to the home screen for a few hours but then it disappears again.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Go to the Google app and tap the weather in the upper left of the screen. Then the options ellipsis "add to homescreen" and you'll always have access. Mine disappears at least 2 or 3 times / day then all of a sudden it's back. But I don't sweat it now with the home screen weather option.
    And just like that my weather is gone. Two beers at the local brewery and adios. I'll ask the Mrs. what the weather holds for tomorrow. Can I say, Ok Google you win, give me back my weather?
    With a factory reset even if does work the issue is likely to reoccur. Best to find the root cause.
    Factory resets are useful for viruses, rootkits, major firmware updates and boot loops.

The modern Android OS can be surprisingly secure, robust and long lived.
    Those who update/upgrade will not see this longevity and will be forced to do factory resets for optimum functionality (assuming the upgrade doesn't ruin the user experience, frequently it does). Google can't help itself*... you can.

*constant change is the rule and frequently Google will maim and degrade their product usability even cancel it. It's their nature...
    I have never had this problem, but I have wiped a couple of times now after updating to the next version of 12, and I've been on it since DP1.
    Maybe a wipe couldn't hurt to try. Save any apps' .apks that you didn't get from the Play Store to G Drive or Dropbox or something like that. Force a backup for everything with adb shell to backup to G Drive (Google's backup system is surprisingly good now) and after restoring it, all you'll have to do is sign into apps again. Also, save anything you want to keep in /downloads.

Wiping is really only a minor inconvenience if you do preparation and/or prepare for the possibility of it being something you have to do beforehand.

That being said, I really miss the days of TWRP backups and an extSD :D
    So what's the verdict? Did it remain or disappear again?
    Just found this solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/pixel_phones/comments/n6vxp4
    That works for now 🤞 The other tip I saw was rather than removing the new widget like in the video, keep it on another screen. For now I removed it but if it disappears again (which it probably will), I'm going to try that.
    I just had to do a full Factory reset, and still this get removed randomly. Pretty annoying since Google wont let us remove it, and I don't know of any good solutions to remove it like we can the Google search bar, thanks to eg.
    I really like the work-around outlined above.
    And just a little added info, my wife has the P5 also and doesn't know what a VPN is no less uses one. Same thing happens to her phone at different times than mine. Both of us 100% stock.