[Homebrew] JWMD Apps Start v1.0

Nullstring

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2009
Baguio
www.jaysonragasa.net

Well I just hope this is not just another Start menu replacement that you already have installed in your Windows Phone. Well it be great if you have another alternative that you can play with..

Here's "Start", yes, that's how simple the application name was.

So what's in this application?
  1. It's a Start menu replacement
  2. You can add your quick lunch application
  3. Intuitive search function
  4. Able to run application
  5. And it's fast

It's a Start menu replacement because I got bored with the native one, scrolling down on the list, or even having a jump function still makes me feel bored.. So I made my own. Don't you like having a 4 column, big icons as a start menu? Well I do :)

So here's a short video demo of the application

Tap the text on the top-right "JWMD Apps" to see more information

SUPPORT
Windows Phone 7, Mango, Tango. 7.8

TAKE NOTE
THIS MAY NOT WORK ON OTHER ROMS. Am sorry but I couldn't do anything about that. One reason I can think of why will not work is because Application folder, or the Install folder is hidden. Kind of stupid reason but I have already flash 2 different ROMs in my Mozart and 1 reason the application fail is because those folder I mentioned were hidden. so .. sorry. :eek:
UPDATE 2
You may want to enable root for this application using Root Manager by ultrashot

Attachments

Last edited:

jibgilmon

Apr 29, 2009
This looks great! Question though: For those of us who have 7.8, what is the use of this other than the search bar? And is it fast enough on the device to be a seamless replacement? I'll try it out later today when I have WiFi, and if it works without slowing down, I would be very happy :)

Nullstring

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2009
Baguio
www.jaysonragasa.net
This looks great! Question though: For those of us who have 7.8, what is the use of this other than the search bar? And is it fast enough on the device to be a seamless replacement? I'll try it out later today when I have WiFi, and if it works without slowing down, I would be very happy :)
I use 7.8 too and I don't use search bar often (I never really use it), I used to tap on those quick jump letters.
If we talk about "seamless replacement" then no because what's on the start menu list in WP has already loaded in the memory right after you boot your device and it's not like an application that you can just terminate using back button.

You got to know that this is an application. It reads all the installed application just about 2 sec to show the main UI and another couple of seconds to read the icons from the cache. Once you run the application again, you'll have the same duration. Although there's a hidden stuff in my code where it uses a cache list of the applications installed, and the purpose of that is to make the loading faster (not implemented though because it's buggy).

jibgilmon

Apr 29, 2009
Tried this out today, it works well, and is not too slow. The All Programs screen is absolutely more informative than the default start screen, and it allows you to see much more at a time than the start menu.

Suggested features:
- The ability to reorganize the Start panel.
- A settings menu for options such as adding/removing/renaming/reorganizing panels.
- If that is not possible, perhaps the option to have the Start panel show up on app start instead of the All Programs panel.

Bugs:
- The Results window does not disappear if I don't pick something from it. I tried swiping up and down, as well as left and right.
- Choosing an app, from the screen or search, crashes the app and it returns to the start menu.

Phone - HTC SparkW - 7.10.8835.35

Martin7Pro

Oct 23, 2011
htc7pro.howto.cz
Hi NullString. This is very usable application. I am working on similar one, which can group applications (and groups too to tree structure, it is necessary when hundreds apps are installed). Can you try the same? I mean it is not necessary to make two similar application.
Any notes:
1. When I want "pin to start" allready pinned application, program crashes.
2. When I tap to immediatelly last started application, this shows not back. When another one is launched between it, app is showed.
3. You can add "startup" option (after device reset) to your app by creating/deleting link in \windows\startup directory. I am programming launcher to your app in this startup way now (startup link for *.exe can be created by my Phone Commander, but it may be possible to create/delete it for managed dll programmatically).
4. Are you able to make orientation sensor accepted version? Landscape mode is necessary on HTC7Pro. I can also send you simple functions for HTC7Pro cursor keys handling, I am redesign all my programs for keyboard controlling too (also with BT keyboards in future), this is more quickly and comfortable then by touchscreen.

Martin

Last edited: