• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Honda Accord 2018 Sport and installing Apps

Search This thread

broly10000

Jul 6, 2012
HI all,

So far I've been reading the threads here for the Civic and the Pilot for hacking the Honda head unit for installing Waze and Google Play Music, but nothing seems to work with the 2018 Accord, I may be missing something.. I don's seem to need anything else so far. Just getting tired of the slow charges, using my music just from my phone and having to turn on and off "Stay Awake" from the developers menu on my phone for Waze to get GPS signal. So I was thinking of just going back to Bluetooth Calls and using a 256GB drive in the USB with MP3 and FLAC files ad using Waze directly from the head unit. Will also like to install an app that will get rid of the 50hz bass roll-off from the head unit and a better EQ, 3 bands is not enough adjustment or I might just go and buy a DSR1 processor.

This is what I've done so far

1. Enable developers mode on the head unit.
2. Enable ADB
3. Go to the yellow diagnostics menu and check all settings, can't seem to find a wireless ADB setting or how to change from device/Host mode.
4. Extract the app info text from the app I want to install but cant find the White list file to update without going into device mode first to navigate the file structure.

My head unit is running Android 6 and all works fine, is just the small inconveniences. Thanks everyone for your help.

seandop

Apr 16, 2013
Have you had any luck connecting with ADB over USB? I've got a 2018 EX-L and haven't had any luck with ADB, putting the head into Device mode, or finding a way to enable the web browser. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there yet about the 2018 heads. I found a post on Reddit about how one guy was able to gain access to the web browser on a 2018 Pilot with a similar head, but that trick doesn't work on ours.

broly10000

Jul 6, 2012
Not yet, still trying. Found something about an extra menu once the USB A to A is plugged into the computer but havent been able to try it yet. Once the USB cable is plugged into the computer, you have to hold the menu button to switch it to device mode. Hope that works

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

seandop

Apr 16, 2013
Not yet, still trying. Found something about an extra menu once the USB A to A is plugged into the computer but havent been able to try it yet. Once the USB cable is plugged into the computer, you have to hold the menu button to switch it to device mode. Hope that works
Was that on a 2018 model? Any chance you can send me the link to that post?

seandop

Apr 16, 2013

broly10000

Jul 6, 2012
I'll try it again this weekend. With long hours at work and making head unit bypass and mercman mini harnesses for the 9th Gen, it's sometimes hard to get this stuff done. Havent been able to install my new speakers, DSP and amp either.

seandop

Apr 16, 2013
The hack that was discovered to work on the 2018 Odyssey with a very similar head unit has been fixed on ours. I keep trying to get creative, but it seems like Honda is finally working to lock these down...

Last edited:

broly10000

Jul 6, 2012
Damn, I was hoping on installing a 256GB HDD, Waze and a Google Play Music. I'll be trying this weekend again for the hack and seeing what I can find. With Android there's always a way. I could try see I I can boot in in download or recovery mode and installing SU. Honda needs a way to service these, all we have to do is find it.

Reactions: toadleyb

broly10000

Jul 6, 2012
I got access to it too. What we need is a working ADB session yoneither oush SU, or reboot in download or recovery mode. And that will be our next roadblock, finding out if we can push files in recovery.

seandop

Apr 16, 2013
So I’m not certain how or if it helps, but I have been able to get access to the web browser on my 18 Accord.
How, pray tell?

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

I got access to it too. What we need is a working ADB session yoneither oush SU, or reboot in download or recovery mode. And that will be our next roadblock, finding out if we can push files in recovery.
And have you figured out how to get into Recovery mode yet?

Stunod7

Mar 13, 2018
Ok. How did you get into the web browser?

I'll be honest, I don't know how repeatable this is, but here is how I went about it.

I did a factory reset on the stereo to troubleshoot something else. Imgur album below that kind of follows along. After I did a reset I noticed a new icon on the top bar in the spot just to the left of the clock. It resembled a cellular/wifi strength indicator with a question mark. When tapping it I would go to the system status screen where a new line appeared that reads "Sign in to network" with the options of "Open" or "Dismiss". When I click "Open" it would bring me to a bit of a controlled browser titled "Sign in to network" that has a hyperlink that lists there is a security issue with the website it's trying to direct me to. On that page it gives me the option to "Continue anyway via browser". When I click that, it launches a full browser and I can get to anywhere, as long as I'm on wifi.

If I screw up at any point, or close down the browser, or go home, I have to shut my car off for a few minutes, turn it back on and the question mark returns.

imgur.com/gallery/MTLzN

scoop_dtx

Dec 3, 2006
Do you think Panasonic service manuals or Honda manuals are needed?

Step 1 has to be able to tell the headunit to receive.

Would a Honda tech need this?
Sounds more like for programmers at Panasonic.

I will search and see who else uses Panasonic maybe mind a clue.

Last edited:

seandop

Apr 16, 2013
Do you think Panasonic service manuals or Honda manuals are needed?

Step 1 has to be able to tell the headunit to receive.

Would a Honda tech need this?
Sounds more like doors for programmers at Panasonic.

I will search and see who else uses Panasonic maybe mind a clue.
I did some quick searching last week and came up mostly empty. Presumably there's a manual somewhere that details how to put the unit into Device mode and/or enter recovery mode.

seandop

Apr 16, 2013
Check out this manual. I couldnt find anything for device mode. See if you can find anything.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArDVDBmfsf5b4lzpNJ26YDcMYaao
Thanks for the share. Unfortunately, or didn't teach me anything new. :/ I also spent the $20 for access to Honda's tech info site with their thousands of service manuals, bulletins, and updates. Nothing useful there, either. I think we need a Panasonic Automotive manual.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Damn, I was hoping on installing a 256GB HDD, Waze and a Google Play Music. I'll be trying this weekend again for the hack and seeing what I can find. With Android there's always a way. I could try see I I can boot in in download or recovery mode and installing SU. Honda needs a way to service these, all we have to do is find it.

I had wondered if we might be able to access the browser if we tried to use a WiFi network protected with a captive portal. I don't currently have such a network, but maybe it's not too difficult for me to create one.
    Update: It doesn't work. :/
    Hi all. I have read through the pages and found very helpful information. I have been trying to the ADB connection to work on my 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T and so far no luck. Few days ago I connected my pc to the HU and some pop up came up on the HU but disappeared instantly. I have tried it again couple of times but no luck. Will be trying again soon. :eek:
    Got an email from honda couple of days ago regarding system updates. Basically it says: go check youtube for WiFi update or update using USB.

I wonder if it's possible to re-pack system update on USB and make HU install it... Enabled installer should be enough.
    I just bought accord 2018 E-XL

is it possible to install google maps and assistant?

can't find anything on the web or youtube
    Pick a number and take a seat, we have cookies. We're all waiting patiently.

We tried all we know but the ADB authorization promp is not showing up for making a successful connection.