Honda Accord 2018 Sport and installing Apps

Search This thread

broly10000

Jul 6, 2012
HI all,

So far I've been reading the threads here for the Civic and the Pilot for hacking the Honda head unit for installing Waze and Google Play Music, but nothing seems to work with the 2018 Accord, I may be missing something.. I don's seem to need anything else so far. Just getting tired of the slow charges, using my music just from my phone and having to turn on and off "Stay Awake" from the developers menu on my phone for Waze to get GPS signal. So I was thinking of just going back to Bluetooth Calls and using a 256GB drive in the USB with MP3 and FLAC files ad using Waze directly from the head unit. Will also like to install an app that will get rid of the 50hz bass roll-off from the head unit and a better EQ, 3 bands is not enough adjustment or I might just go and buy a DSR1 processor.

This is what I've done so far

1. Enable developers mode on the head unit.
2. Enable ADB
3. Go to the yellow diagnostics menu and check all settings, can't seem to find a wireless ADB setting or how to change from device/Host mode.
4. Extract the app info text from the app I want to install but cant find the White list file to update without going into device mode first to navigate the file structure.

My head unit is running Android 6 and all works fine, is just the small inconveniences. Thanks everyone for your help.

BarackMitzvah

Nov 20, 2010
The Moon
The android backup password is "[email protected]&", you can use https://github.com/nelenkov/android-backup-extractor to extractor this backup and repack it, HondaLink app (packageName:com.honda.telematics.core) has a debug mode,when preference debug_home_page set to 1, in debug mode,you can startactivity/sendbroadcast through webview

View attachment 5405717

If anyone knows about .so file decompile,pls contact me. I only knows about android app/java decompile
This is a huge leap forward. Nice work

To test this on a US accord, I'd just need to run adb backup, correct?

sickpyro

Oct 29, 2021
This is the only thing that I came across in a while.
on android 7 there is an easter egg that allows you to launch a browser that plays the rick astley song... yes its true. in android auto enable the developer tools then change application mode to "developer" in the developer settings. connect your phone to your car and then launch android auto, on your car screen select the app with the android auto icon, scroll down and click UX Prototype... this will open up youtube in a browser and you can change the video and watch any youtube you want..... but, at least for me, the keyboard doesnt show up so i cant type anything.

thekyle2000

Sep 3, 2019
I can now use the web browser in my Accord sport 2018 thanks to what has been posted here and on the chinese site. In case anyone needs a recap. You can get a rar file from https://ngabbs.com/read.php?tid=17718611 extract the system_setting_value.ab to a thumb drive. In the car hold home, volume, source. Press the second menu option, then Functional Setup, Save User's Memory, Import. It will replace your main menu icons. The honda link icon with chinese on the second page is a web browser

Last edited:

vikdr

Sep 10, 2013
I can now use the web browser in my Accord sport 2018 thanks to what has been posted here and on the chinese site. In case anyone needs a recap. You can get a rar file from https://img.nga.178.com/attachments/mon_202109/09/-7da9Qj7d-b5xyZa.rar extract the system_setting_value.ab (or attached file) to a thumb drive. In the car hold home, volume, source. Press the second menu option, then Functional Setup, Save User's Memory, Import. It will replace your main menu icons. The honda link icon with chinese on the second page is a web browser
Hi. cant open your link

jermo

Aug 24, 2009
AZ
www.jermo.net
I can now use the web browser in my Accord sport 2018 thanks to what has been posted here and on the chinese site. In case anyone needs a recap. You can get a rar file from https://ngabbs.com/read.php?tid=17718611 extract the system_setting_value.ab to a thumb drive. In the car hold home, volume, source. Press the second menu option, then Functional Setup, Save User's Memory, Import. It will replace your main menu icons. The honda link icon with chinese on the second page is a web browser

Well this is awesome! Now all I need to figure out is how to get the internet connected lol Figured it would run off my phone being connected via USB but I guess not...

BarackMitzvah

Nov 20, 2010
The Moon
Is there any negatives to doing this in your opinion, and can it be reverted?

This is potentially very exciting, a head unit root would be amazing!

Does this work on the larger head units found in the EX-L/Touring trims

If this is consistently usable, then next move is to contact the HondaHack guys

thekyle2000

Sep 3, 2019

The Chinese backup only has home menu configuration in it. Half the time the browser icon shows up in Chinese. When you install it, it overwrites your home menu configuration . So you have to spend a few minutes adding and removing icons. Some people might find this difficult. Since it changes so little, not much reason to revert, but factory reset will revert it. I had trouble modifying my own save file, repacking/encrypting it, and importing it. It probably has something to do with my tar program (WinRAR) rearranging files in a different order than the radio wants them in. I want to modify the home menu to make it launch the android music player, the navigation app that seems to be installed, and some other apps that have more filesystem permissions to try to modify APK whitelist etc. I think root is within reach, just need to spend some time working on it.

BarackMitzvah

Nov 20, 2010
The Moon
The Chinese backup only has home menu configuration in it. Half the time the browser icon shows up in Chinese. When you install it, it overwrites your home menu configuration . So you have to spend a few minutes adding and removing icons. Some people might find this difficult. Since it changes so little, not much reason to revert, but factory reset will revert it. I had trouble modifying my own save file, repacking/encrypting it, and importing it. It probably has something to do with my tar program (WinRAR) rearranging files in a different order than the radio wants them in. I want to modify the home menu to make it launch the android music player, the navigation app that seems to be installed, and some other apps that have more filesystem permissions to try to modify APK whitelist etc. I think root is within reach, just need to spend some time working on it.
That's awesome, do you think you can personally get it done, or do we need to recruit some help?

jermo

Aug 24, 2009
AZ
www.jermo.net

Been trying this in my 2018 touring since I posted, so about a month now. It's been awesome! Only little issues I see is it takes a while to automatically connect to my hotspot but it does eventually. It's a bit slow and slow at responding/laggy when interacting with it but just gotta be patient and i'm watching youtube on my way to work via my cell phone hot spot. Sometimes the audio doesn't play when I first start up the car so I've found to go to a new video and then go back to the one I was watching...the sound plays fine after that.
Also I do have some random, unusable icons on the main menu that have chinese writing on them or something which is bizarre...

Could the head unit not just be connected to a home WiFi AP and access the internet that way? There is a built in WiFi radio + networks can be added via the Connections Menu in Settings
Played with the headunit a bit and just turned my cell phone hotspot on. Connected to it and we are good!

BarackMitzvah

Nov 20, 2010
The Moon
Been trying this in my 2018 touring since I posted, so about a month now. It's been awesome! Only little issues I see is it takes a while to automatically connect to my hotspot but it does eventually. It's a bit slow and slow at responding/laggy when interacting with it but just gotta be patient and i'm watching youtube on my way to work via my cell phone hot spot. Sometimes the audio doesn't play when I first start up the car so I've found to go to a new video and then go back to the one I was watching...the sound plays fine after that.
Also I do have some random, unusable icons on the main menu that have chinese writing on them or something which is bizarre...

Played with the headunit a bit and just turned my cell phone hotspot on. Connected to it and we are good!
hell yeah. So really the goal should be to use the browser to obtain root, and then after that revert to stock settings, eh?

jermo

Aug 24, 2009
AZ
www.jermo.net
hell yeah. So really the goal should be to use the browser to obtain root, and then after that revert to stock settings, eh?
Not entirely sure how that would go and how complicated it would be. It would def be nice to have the stock stuff back instead of random stuff in chinese...but it's all good, I know exactly what to press to open youtube lol I feel like rooting it and getting crazy with the headunit would just make it slower. It seems like it barely has enough memory to do the basic **** it's set out to do ya know...

BarackMitzvah

Nov 20, 2010
The Moon
Not entirely sure how that would go and how complicated it would be. It would def be nice to have the stock stuff back instead of random stuff in chinese...but it's all good, I know exactly what to press to open youtube lol I feel like rooting it and getting crazy with the headunit would just make it slower. It seems like it barely has enough memory to do the basic **** it's set out to do ya know...
Sure... But this is XDA 😈

I want to install things like HondaHack + hondata

BarackMitzvah

Nov 20, 2010
The Moon
Here's an idea: Is it possible to download an apk via the browser and get it to install?

If this circumvents the standard USB based install method the sky is the limit really - No root needed!

aziz.121

Apr 21, 2022
Here's an idea: Is it possible to download an apk via the browser and get it to install?

If this circumvents the standard USB based install method the sky is the limit really - No root needed!
I just tried that and it didn't work.

IMG_4984-min.jpg

I've seen people talk about this problem happing to some android phones and virtual devises running android. Some suggest clear cache and allow browser storage on setting but I didn't get time to try that.

Also, there is android package installer show up when I did that but when I tried to install app using it it shows parse error

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Damn, I was hoping on installing a 256GB HDD, Waze and a Google Play Music. I'll be trying this weekend again for the hack and seeing what I can find. With Android there's always a way. I could try see I I can boot in in download or recovery mode and installing SU. Honda needs a way to service these, all we have to do is find it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I had wondered if we might be able to access the browser if we tried to use a WiFi network protected with a captive portal. I don't currently have such a network, but maybe it's not too difficult for me to create one.
    Update: It doesn't work. :/
    Hi all. I have read through the pages and found very helpful information. I have been trying to the ADB connection to work on my 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T and so far no luck. Few days ago I connected my pc to the HU and some pop up came up on the HU but disappeared instantly. I have tried it again couple of times but no luck. Will be trying again soon. :eek:
    Got an email from honda couple of days ago regarding system updates. Basically it says: go check youtube for WiFi update or update using USB.

I wonder if it's possible to re-pack system update on USB and make HU install it... Enabled installer should be enough.
    I just bought accord 2018 E-XL

is it possible to install google maps and assistant?

can't find anything on the web or youtube
    Pick a number and take a seat, we have cookies. We're all waiting patiently.

We tried all we know but the ADB authorization promp is not showing up for making a successful connection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk