First of all, I love this initiative and Im eternally thankful that you have made this app. I love it.
Here comes some feedback.
After initial testing I have the following to say.
My phone never auto connects. In the previous version I had to select my USB connected unit each time I wanted to connect to Auto, the app also asked for permission each time.
In this new version the app never auto starts when the cable is inserted, my phone says that Auto is connecting but never actually does so.,
The app recognize only device with vendor id google. If you enable usb debug on phone the vendor id should be 18D1 (it means google device because of adb). Have you usb debug enabled? You can find it in device manager on windows (or lsusb in unix)
When I then manually start the app it asks me what device I wanna use and I select my phone the same way I previously did and add permission every single time.
The only noticable difference here is that I no longer have to press the USB icon when connecting but it still requires 4-6 button presses to work.
I dont know if this has something to do with how I set up permissions or whatnot, but that is my initial verdict.
Yes, that is a behaviour I've implemented. If autostart in enabled I assume you want to connect directly to a device so, if no device is selected, it opens the devices list dialog. When you tap on device, the app request permission and than it asks to smartphone to switch to AOAP protocol used for android auto. It is like a new device so the app must ask another time permission to access it. After that andorid auto should start. On my car I have checked to remember the choice for second permission to avoid to give it every time. It's strange that you have to tap so many times.
I also feel like it is harder to successfully connect now, hard to say after such a short period. But it crashed more often than I remember, resulting in a AA error when trying to reconnect forcing me to manually restart and reconnect.
This is especially annoying when the reversing camera is used and the app crashes because it tries to reconnect.
The app always have had a bug on device disconnection (or at least on my car). When you connect to andorid auto and than exit you have to remove the smatphone manually, otherwise you will have AA error. In this new version I've tryed to fix it with a workaround (the device is unmounted automatically and reconnected).
When you use the rear camera the phone still remains connected, it only lost video focus.