Honda Connect Android System

Search This thread
First of all, I love this initiative and Im eternally thankful that you have made this app. I love it.
Here comes some feedback.

After initial testing I have the following to say.

My phone never auto connects. In the previous version I had to select my USB connected unit each time I wanted to connect to Auto, the app also asked for permission each time.
In this new version the app never auto starts when the cable is inserted, my phone says that Auto is connecting but never actually does so.,

The app recognize only device with vendor id google. If you enable usb debug on phone the vendor id should be 18D1 (it means google device because of adb). Have you usb debug enabled? You can find it in device manager on windows (or lsusb in unix)

1649940084934.png

When I then manually start the app it asks me what device I wanna use and I select my phone the same way I previously did and add permission every single time.
The only noticable difference here is that I no longer have to press the USB icon when connecting but it still requires 4-6 button presses to work.

I dont know if this has something to do with how I set up permissions or whatnot, but that is my initial verdict.

Yes, that is a behaviour I've implemented. If autostart in enabled I assume you want to connect directly to a device so, if no device is selected, it opens the devices list dialog. When you tap on device, the app request permission and than it asks to smartphone to switch to AOAP protocol used for android auto. It is like a new device so the app must ask another time permission to access it. After that andorid auto should start. On my car I have checked to remember the choice for second permission to avoid to give it every time. It's strange that you have to tap so many times.

I also feel like it is harder to successfully connect now, hard to say after such a short period. But it crashed more often than I remember, resulting in a AA error when trying to reconnect forcing me to manually restart and reconnect.
This is especially annoying when the reversing camera is used and the app crashes because it tries to reconnect.

The app always have had a bug on device disconnection (or at least on my car). When you connect to andorid auto and than exit you have to remove the smatphone manually, otherwise you will have AA error. In this new version I've tryed to fix it with a workaround (the device is unmounted automatically and reconnected).
When you use the rear camera the phone still remains connected, it only lost video focus.

Reactions: pepaone and borba0

Mirinmaru

Jun 18, 2021
Okay so from what I've gathered is that the only non intended behaviour of my devices is that my head unit does not seem to remember my device. Because I have to hit the button set as default and remember permissions every time (dont remember the exact prompts).

I just assumed that "auto-start" meant that the app launched when a recognized device was connected.

Great work all around mate, I really appreciate all the effort.

Okay so from what I've gathered is that the only non intended behaviour of my devices is that my head unit does not seem to remember my device. Because I have to hit the button set as default and remember permissions every time (dont remember the exact prompts).

I just assumed that "auto-start" meant that the app launched when a recognized device was connected.

Great work all around mate, I really appreciate all the effort.

Yes, when you connect the device on headunit and if the device is one of those enabled in the app (with vendorid google) Android asks you if you want to start the app. If you accept (twice because of aoap device), instead of show the main activity it show a loading windows and than android auto. This is the intended behaviour.

The same is inside the app: if you open the app and the connect the device android auto shiuld start automatically without press start button.

emilic

Mar 15, 2007
Mine works just fine :)
Auto started, it took a bit to load everything but there it was google maps showing no effort ^^.

I did had one quick crash the first time I put it, but after that I exit the app, reconnected my phone and worked without any problems.

I am still sending my audio through the bluetooth thou, not through the app, which means I only have 1 speaker working ^^... I'll try to change the config files later and see how it is handing the sound now...

I do have USB debuging enabled, a rooted android and i am running RC8.

Mirinmaru

Jun 18, 2021
Mine works just fine :)
Auto started, it took a bit to load everything but there it was google maps showing no effort ^^.

I did had one quick crash the first time I put it, but after that I exit the app, reconnected my phone and worked without any problems.

I am still sending my audio through the bluetooth thou, not through the app, which means I only have 1 speaker working ^^... I'll try to change the config files later and see how it is handing the sound now...

I do have USB debuging enabled, a rooted android and i am running RC8.
God I'm jealous, I'm gonna fiddle around with my settings and see why my permissions aren't saved and why the app isn't autostarting.
I'm running RC6 and am a bit scared of updating, do you suggest a update to RC8?

emilic

Mar 15, 2007
God I'm jealous, I'm gonna fiddle around with my settings and see why my permissions aren't saved and why the app isn't autostarting.
I'm running RC6 and am a bit scared of updating, do you suggest a update to RC8?
To be honest I don't notice much of a change...
I did it because my bluetooth sound was jumping a bit sometimes... and RC8 is meant to improve a DAB audio connection... but didn't really help ^^

That said, as long as you dont reset your system, you can work with RC8. So that is what I am doing, that way I am in the latest updated version of FW,SW, etc... and can still use my modified system ^^

Mirinmaru

Jun 18, 2021
To be honest I don't notice much of a change...
I did it because my bluetooth sound was jumping a bit sometimes... and RC8 is meant to improve a DAB audio connection... but didn't really help ^^

That said, as long as you dont reset your system, you can work with RC8. So that is what I am doing, that way I am in the latest updated version of FW,SW, etc... and can still use my modified system ^^
I did a OTA update this week and didnt lose any apps. All the Process permissions got reset, but I was able to add new permissions.
Yes, when you connect the device on headunit and if the device is one of those enabled in the app (with vendorid google) Android asks you if you want to start the app. If you accept (twice because of aoap device), instead of show the main activity it show a loading windows and than android auto. This is the intended behaviour.

The same is inside the app: if you open the app and the connect the device android auto shiuld start automatically without press start button.
Ok so I went through my settings and devmode stuff and redid everything and now Auto works as intended.
No longer asking for usb permissions each time and generally launches each and every time.
Auto will not however launch automatically when plugging in my phone but that is not a big deal for me. Looking forward to the next version! :)

How you considered creating a public git of the project. I'm certain this app could be applied to other, OEM android based headunits.

nydas3k

Aug 17, 2021
Anyone experiences from Maki83's Android Auto sluttering/robotic music voice for some time while Spotify is playing with Google Maps?

Mirinmaru

Jun 18, 2021
Anyone experiences from Maki83's Android Auto sluttering/robotic music voice for some time while Spotify is playing with Google Maps?
I personally dont use Spotify, but I get some intermittent stuttering sometimes.
I think that audio is streamed via bluetooth when using the app so perhaps your phones bandwidth is strained.

nydas3k

Aug 17, 2021
I personally dont use Spotify, but I get some intermittent stuttering sometimes.
I think that audio is streamed via bluetooth when using the app so perhaps your phones bandwidth is strained.
Spotify apk in HC is playing smoothly
Spotify phone only with bluetooth streaming is playing smoothly
Only while on Android Auto is on maps+spotify are getting sluttering so... not a internet bandwith problem

Robbie2

Apr 26, 2022
I recently bought a 2016 Honda Jazz and wanted to share my experience from reading this thread:

The dealership had updated the HU to RC8, which I was able to downgrade to RC6 via the .iso file shared and install the Permissions app. My unit is 6YH2 (right hand drive UK model). This was much less painful than disassembling the dashboard.

The GPS is not good, but usable via Waze+wifi. Sygic, google maps and Copilot are not working, nor is google maps via browser.

I had similar thoughts for a 4.0.4 port of the android auto emu and was very happy when I saw Maki83's post.

For me, on my stock Andoid 9.0 Samsung J3 (2017), Android Auto has an initial black screen but usually loads up OK after ~10 seconds. There is however no audio, neither using SoundOut or SoundInterupt and SoundInteruptMute. The video delay is noticable but OK. Pressing home causes Android Auto to disconnect.

I'm using it with the phone paired in bluetooth mode, and the audio source set to bluetooth. Is this the correct configuration for audio?

I have some C++17 experience and would be happy to assist in debugging, though I've never worked on android before.

Reactions: Mirinmaru

Mirinmaru

Jun 18, 2021
I recently bought a 2016 Honda Jazz and wanted to share my experience from reading this thread:

The dealership had updated the HU to RC8, which I was able to downgrade to RC6 via the .iso file shared and install the Permissions app. My unit is 6YH2 (right hand drive UK model). This was much less painful than disassembling the dashboard.

The GPS is not good, but usable via Waze+wifi. Sygic, google maps and Copilot are not working, nor is google maps via browser.

I had similar thoughts for a 4.0.4 port of the android auto emu and was very happy when I saw Maki83's post.

For me, on my stock Andoid 9.0 Samsung J3 (2017), Android Auto has an initial black screen but usually loads up OK after ~10 seconds. There is however no audio, neither using SoundOut or SoundInterupt and SoundInteruptMute. The video delay is noticable but OK. Pressing home causes Android Auto to disconnect.

I'm using it with the phone paired in bluetooth mode, and the audio source set to bluetooth. Is this the correct configuration for audio?

I have some C++17 experience and would be happy to assist in debugging, though I've never worked on android before.
Much of what you describes sound like normal behaviour except the part with no sound.
Have you set the correct package name and process name? In that case you could try turn soundout off and save and then reactivate it. That helped me when I had a similar problem.

rjay45

Feb 1, 2016
Hello community, I want to share my experience in dealing with your struggle! Hope someone find it useful.

I have an 2018 Honda Jazz (Head Unit 6VH4). I've entered the maintenance menu with the combo MENU+BRIGHTNESS+POWER for few seconds (press menu slightly before power, otherwise the unit simply reload itself). Enabled developer mode. While in this menu, I've plugged in a USB key with the RC6 firmware from cmdroid. It prompt me if I wanted to upgrade the system and answered yes. After the reboot I successfully downgraded and able to use the install APK feature for the apps named "HondaAppCenter_A1.apk". I've also installed the OpenDroidAuto app from @MaKi83 (also please let me know how to donate you for few beers or, better, a full dinner!) with success....

....BUT, while driving, the head unit complain that, for safety, I cannot run app while driving! How do you overcome this problem?! I'm trying to catch up with the full thread, not an easy task going through a 4 year long posting....

Thanks everyone for any help you can give to me!

EDIT: i found out that Mike's Honda permission app is the key to enable app to remain on while driving!

EDIT2: i also tried to update to RC8 as found along in the thread... but now i'm stuck into bootloop ^^'. So, as far as i know for now, i suggest to stay into the RC6. Anyone know how to fix the bootloop? (I've already found some hint on how to dismantle the HU to reach the service usb, but then what can i do with ADB?)

Last edited:

Latinofreaks

Nov 6, 2021
@MaKi83 ive tried your latest android auto apk. Honda app settings:
Process/package: it.smg.hu
Sound out: on
Last mode: on

It works well the first time I connected it. Though I've had 3 reboot crashes. When I try to re-conmect. Reversecamera does throw me back to the HU menu and the connection process needs to be done again.

I've experienced som sound problems with Spotify. The first time I connect it to the HU source is set to "Apps". But then it seems to loose connection the second time I try to activate the app. If I turn off and on the "sound out" option it works again. But it doesn't stay in "Apps" source mode.

I've tried to use Spotify through the phones Bluetooth. But It doesn't work because the phone prioritises the sound through android auto. And I can't seem to turn it off manually.

I've noticed that my previously installed Waze app boots at the same time as your android auto app. I will try to disable it and run your app again and really check if other apps are interfering.

Edit : I removed waze. It didn't interfere. Still have the same issues with "apps" as source not applying.

I use "task killer" to check wich apps boots at the same time as I use android auto.

Otherwise.. Im really impressed with your programing skills. And it feels that you are nearly there. Your work is awesome. And thank you very much!

Edit 2: Somehow I switch the permissions to third_party, I used to have prribstalled. And it seems to work better.

Last edited:
Reactions: borba0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No. This is not your wrong behaviour.
    As far as I can well remember, MaKi93 wrote some days ago, that it is one of the unsolved problem yet.
    Well it doesn't hurt to share permissions. Just to compare.
    Well it doesn't hurt to share permissions. Just to compare.
    You can see mine here>

Although I am not passing audio through the app, I am keeping the bluetooth usage apart to send music, etc.
    Hola colegas, ¿cómo podría usar la aplicación Android Auto junto con audio directo desde bluetooth o fm? con las indicaciones gps y con la música por separado sería un gran logro.
    Hey we try to keep this forum in English ^^

Pero, sigue los permisos que puse en mi post anterior. Son para tener el audio desde bluetooth (creo yo que funcionara tambien para FM) y android auto de forma separada.
    Hi, does anyone one know if its possible to delete the Garmin folder with the maps? Not loading in my Civic and seems to be from corrupt map data. Thanks.
    I deleted it... the app I mean... as I am not using it in my HR-V...
    So you can delete it, no idea how to recover it or solve your issue but I did remove it.
    Hello, any new releases coming up soon?

Overall its working good but performance is very slow. can you improve it?

Amazing job brother
    Hello Guys,

Last time I showed you how to install custom application. Now it's time to move on.
    I present you complete solution. Not hardware, but software :)
    I created application which allow you to change process_controls.list and allowed_installations.list direct in your Honda head unit !!
    I note that it works and it has been tested a little in my Honda with android 4.0.4.

I spent some time working on it, so give me some thanks if you use it.
    I don't expect any payments, but if you would like to send me some beers. I will sent you my paypal address by PM.

I tested the application only a little. So it could have some bugs. Use it for your own risk.
    Do full backup (in two formats) before you start changing something, there is option for this. I haven't tested restore option yet. It should work, but I'm not guarantee this.
    I don't know what each flags and options in process control mean. I haven't tested this yet. Maybe someone would like to do some manual?

Warnings:
    1. I'm not responsible for any damage of your head unit. Use it for your own risk.
    2. Don't remove HondaAppCenter_A1.apk from allowed installations, because if something goes wrong you won't be able to install any new applications or new versions.
    3. Be careful with changing version number. If you increase it then updating Honda oryginal applications won't overwrite your changes in process controls.
    If you decrease it then reboot you head unit will overwrite your changes.
    4. Be careful with changing permissions flags in existing packages and applications.
    5. And last be careful when you driving.

Enjoy!!!
    Hello guys,

Firstly I would like to thanks all of you who support me by donations and sending beers ;) Special thanks to CMhonda group for their donation.

Some of you asked me to implement new features to Honda Permissions app. It took me awhile but here it is. New version of Honda Permissions - v 1.1.0

What's new:
    - Added search functionality in Allowed installations and Process Controls list
    - Added copy action in Process Controls list (now you can create new permission by copy settings from another)
    - Now you can save/restore backup files direct to/from usb device (you can choose any path you want)

As always: I'm not responsible for any damage of your head unit. Use it for your own risk.

Enjoy
    Step By Step Tutorial

Ok Here is a Step by Step Tutorial on how I have been able to install any application on my Honda Connect RC7 .

Disclaimer: I am not responsible of any damage this could make to your device. Do it at your own risk. The only thing I know is that it worked fine on my RC7 unit… I hope this could help you to install application on your head unit.

How to check your version :
    Go to the android parameter and click on About this device . You should find Build Number : 0F.095.01.1123. Ok You have the RC7

RfWGzkE.jpg

What you need:
    A – Hardware:
    1/ USB OTG Cable - Female A to Micro A ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11604 )
    2/ USB A Male To A Male Cable ( https://www.amazon.com/DTOL-Feet-USB-Male-Cable/dp/B000BSJFFC )
    3/ Screwdriver philips ph00

B – Software:
    1/ iRoot
    2/ Honda Permission from S_Mike

Here is the files I used: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hl4egyh1x49y14r/AABd2cZYYzmh6Mt0MPQcE9Mea?dl=0

Step One: Preparing your computer and the iRoot software.
    Before everything, I have installed the Intel Android Drivers (not sure it is important but …)

A/install iRoot on your Windows computer
    B/Go to the install directory of iRoot ( in my case this is c:\Program File (x86)\iRoot\ )
    C/There you should find a directory ( in my case this is \1.8.9.21144) which contain kinguser.zip
    D1/ Easy Way : Replace it with the one I have included in my dropbox link.
    D2/ Hard Way : edit the kinguser.zip file and replace the kinguser.apk with the application that you want to inject. In this case we want to inject the Honda Permissions application from S_Mike. I have downloaded the one from cmdroid.com that’s why it is HondaAppCenter_A1.apk. Just rename it as kinguser.apk and replace it in the kinguser.zip

Step Two: Connecting the device to your computer

1 – Enable the Developer Option

A/start the device
    B/Press and hold "MENU"+"Day/Night"(Brightness)+"POWER" button (in this order) for about five seconds until the display changes
    C/Select "Detail Information & Setting"

j0lGb87.jpg

D/Select “Functional Setup”

mvlUGT0.jpg

E/Select “Developer Option Enable”

Dn2lrak.jpg

F/Select “On” to enable the developer option menu.

sgQ0fiH.jpg

G/Push Return to come back to the Welcome screen

2 – Enable the USB Debug mode in the developer option Menu

A/Go to the Android settings.
    B/Select Developer Options

6Kep1UA.jpg

C/Tick USB Debugging. ( I have also tick the Stay awake but I don’t think it would change anything…)

tofmTuZ.jpg

3 – Connecting the device to the computer

A/Flip the screen (push the eject button)
    B/Unscrew the 4 screws which hold the screen

KY0FR6B.jpg

C/Get the screen slowly out (it could be tighten but mind the ribbon cable of the screen !)
    D/Hold the screen with one hand and use the other hand get the plastic cache ( just above the ribbon cable) out.

DgCDlEB.jpg

PcUoyc7.jpg

tGojL7j.jpg

E/Use something to support the screen.
    F/ Now that the screen is raised, you can access to the micro USB Type A port.

ZVBLPyh.jpg

G/Plug your cable in that port

1ZI7kxR.jpg

Step Three : Inject the Honda Permission application

A/Start iRoot

WfT1iPI.jpg

B/Plug the cable to your computer and you should see

i32IiNz.jpg

C/Wait until this

uAlML5U.jpg

D/Click on Root

E/Wait ( The sound of your head unit might stop sometimes)

vYRg4f2.jpg

F/Now you should have that screen and your unit should restart.

PVI2C2F.jpg

G/After restart you should find the Honda Permission installed.

Step Four : Installing any application

A/Start Honda Permission
    B/You can Edit the HondaAppcenter_A1.apk (leave your finger on it until the pencil arrives on the top right side of the screen)
    C/replace the “Sig digest sha256” with PREINSTALL value
    This should activate the “HondaAppCenter_A1.apk” BackDoor.

BUT in my case The Install button was still greyed out…

Here is my solution:

A/ Start Honda Permission
    B/Click on the + button in the Allowed Installations menu

Zd4pq2Q.jpg

C/Create a new rule with :
    • APK Name : application.apk
    • Package name:
    • Sig digest sha256 : PREINSTALL

J1QfyfZ.jpg

D/Now you can install any application that you have renamed application.apk.
    Installing app on RC7

Hi everyone,

I have a European Honda Civic Tourer Executive (who cares ?) latest model with a Honda Connect RC7 (0F.095.01.1123).

However (thanks to @sobvan) I have ordered a micro-USB-type-A cable and used a USB Male A to Male A cable to connect it to my computer.

Like sobvan I was able to locate the "allowed_installations.list" file but I wasn’t able to get the root access to modify it.

So I have tried some application to root it ( Kingoroot, SRSroot,…) without any luck…

BUT the latest version of iRoot (iRoot_171024.zip) has been able to inject the Kinguser.apk. The app is working fine but isn’t able to root the unit (Anyway I’m not sure that I was looking for a rooted device).

So I tried to modify iRoot software to inject HondaPermission.apk and it did the trick !

Simply go to your “\Program File (x86)\iRoot\1.8.9.21144” directory.
    You should find a kinguser.zip file.
    Edit this file with winzip or winrar or whatever.
    Remove the kinguser.apk file.
    Rename your HondaPermission.apk to kinguser.apk and copy it in the kinguser.zip of the iRoot directory.
    Now launch iRoot with your device connected (in debug USB mode !).
    Your unit should reboot and then you should find the Honda Permission installed !

Now launch Honda Permission and in “Allowed installation” modify the HondaAppcenter_A1.APK rule (leave your finger on it until the pencil arrives on the top right side of the screen) and replace the “Sig digest sha256” with PREINSTALL value.

And that’s it now you can install applications on the F****ing RC7 version. (I have not tested on the RC8, but it should work)

Big thanks to sobvan who found the port and the iRoot team for their great software.
    Some of you have posted in the past about wanting to mirror their phone to the HU.
    Up to now, no one seems to have achieved it very successfully, if at all.

However, now there's a way. Using TeamViewer.

Install THIS app on the phone (TeamViewer Host for Android)
    If you have a Samsung phone, there's a TeamViewer Host for Samsung HERE

Then install THIS on the Honda HU, renaming the file, obviously, to HondaAppCenter_A1.apk to be able to install it.

Run the Host on the phone and the Remote Control on the HU to connect to the phone. You need to be connected via WiFi Hotspot of course.
    Tilt phone Landscape. You can now see and control phone from HU screen, including running any apps on phone on the HU, even Google Maps.

Working for me so far. Hope this helps anyone interested.