Question Honest question: why aren't you all running graphene or calyx?

Search This thread

nastyneighbor

Dec 30, 2014
To me it seems like big tech has gotten so much worse on it's intrusions that is killing your batteries, scanning your pics, literally watching your every move with sensors. All saved forever, etc etc. I am no shill I admit I've never tried graphene or calyx but I'm about to and was just wondering the arguments against it from the community who knows.

This post was inspired by Snowden.

pcriz

To me it seems like big tech has gotten so much worse on it's intrusions that is killing your batteries, scanning your pics, literally watching your every move with sensors. All saved forever, etc etc. I am no shill I admit I've never tried graphene or calyx but I'm about to and was just wondering the arguments against it from the community who knows.

I don't because of convenience. Security and privacy isn't all or nothing. There are levels to it.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Have nothing to hide and prefer having integrated apps from Google all play nice with each other.

I do plan on trying out Graphene down the line tho, there's no reason people shouldn't at least try it out. The flashing method there and back is just so good it's worth doing just to experience the future of this kinda stuff

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015

Convenience. I want all the apps and features that come with a Pixel, and Graphene would mean to sacrifice 70% convenience for more security.

I am deep into all the Google apps and will not stop doing that. They are simply too good.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011

Because if i wanted all that I'd buy a Nokia 3310.

Jan_L

Jan 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S7
OnePlus 3T
As expected you will see replies from people fully in the Google stuff and people who do not like big tech and try to get rid of it as much as possible.

Ofcourse the Pixel is a phone which is as much as possible integrated in the Google features, though I think it is also a phone which is great for unlocking and to use with another OS.

At this moment I am still on my Oneplus 3t with LOS18.1 and without any further Google stuff (Google Play Store, Google Servcies etc...). When the mobile drain issue is fixed on the Pixel 6 Pro, this will probably my next phone and the first thing I will do is unlocking and then installing Graphene.

Why?
Several reasons, but the most important one is that I will decide myself what I share with the outside world, not Google. In this time of corona, QR codes and the so called "corona passports" more and more people are seeing the bigger picture. I think it is time we get our privacy back and decide ourselfs what to share and what not. This is our right as world citizen and no-one, even the big tech or the government can take this right away from us.

The second most important one is battery life. What I see on my OP3T is that, even after 6 years the phone does have a battery life of at least two days because of a minimum of background syncing and getting the phone out of deep sleep because of sensors or other stuff I have no idea of.

May be I am a little paranoia sometimes, but I think it is good to be a little critical and to keep thinking for yourself.

So yes, almost sure the next phone is a Pix 6 Pro and yes, the next OS will be Graphene or LOS when available.

TrustAugustus

Jan 23, 2013
Hirakata
I'm waiting for TWRP and possibly other roms. I know you can install via the web, but if I'm going to go to the hassle of unlocking I want to make sure I have options and the ease of TWRP. I look forward to trying it, though.

CodeFox

Sep 7, 2014
Manchester
Wouldn't a more accurate question be why would you buy a phone that was designed with a processor to work specifically with Google's software and then strip the device completely of Google's software (other than AOSP)

I don't worry about privacy because A: I don't do any illicit activity. B: idgaf what data Google mine on me, I'm not that special and there's nothing interesting going on usually with my smartphone. If Google wants to know what shower thought questions I want the answer to whilst I'm taking a dump they can happily know 😂. I think these privacy loonies seriously overestimate how interesting or valuable their data is, we're all just consumers and statistics.

Also, having the play store and Google services is convenient with regards to updates etc. Not to mention the contact/calendar/photo syncing.

razercortex

Apr 8, 2018
Have nothing to hide and prefer having integrated apps from Google all play nice with each other.

I do plan on trying out Graphene down the line tho, there's no reason people shouldn't at least try it out. The flashing method there and back is just so good it's worth doing just to experience the future of this kinda stuff

"Nothing to hide" is a pretty baseless argument. Everyone's got something to hide, passwords, bank account login, SSN, etc.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I 98% like the way my rooted and Magisk-moduled stock ROM on the P6P works as-is. I have nothing against the custom ROMs, and definitely nothing against the so professionally developed ones. They're interesting. I think it's great that they're available. Everyone's needs and expectations are different.

DanielF50

Jul 22, 2010
Hampshire, England
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I don't worry about privacy because A: I don't do any illicit activity. B: idgaf what data Google mine on me, I'm not that special and there's nothing interesting going on usually with my smartphone. If Google wants to know what shower thought questions I want the answer to whilst I'm taking a dump they can happily know 😂. I think these privacy loonies seriously overestimate how interesting or valuable their data is, we're all just consumers and statistics.

Also, having the play store and Google services is convenient with regards to updates etc. Not to mention the contact/calendar/photo syncing.

I share the same sentiment.

I use XPrivacyLua to block certain apps (meta apps/tiktok, etc) from seeing app list, accessing camera/mic/location etc because they have no need for to access that data in the background, but Google's use of my data makes my life more convienient.

Blocking ads means that I also don't see whatever ads Google thinks are relevant to me, so despite the fact that they have the data on me, it really doesn't have the slightest effect on my life. Even if this wasn't the case, I'm very unsusceptible to advertising so I wouldn't notice any difference, but I can understand why wanting Google to have less data on you could be advantageous if you're say, a level 10 susceptible (I know a few people like this).

If anything, I'd be happier with a ROM with more features that make my life easier & phone more conveinent to use, than a privacy conscious ROM which would actually be more of a hinderance to me, personally.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
"Nothing to hide" is a pretty baseless argument. Everyone's got something to hide, passwords, bank account login, SSN, etc.
"Everyone's got something to hide" is a pretty baseless argument, as I do not. I generally do not use my phone for sensitive information.

Any info that is on here right now, Google had long before I purchased this device. I would be careful with assumptions on XDA, most here aren't exactly average users.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012

Pretty much this. The Google ecosystem works for me. I'm not afraid of feeding Google since the worst that usually happens is the same ad bothering you for a week or two. I've never been a free/libre software purist either.

The idea of microg or compatibility layers are fine, but I bought a Pixel because it's a Pixel. Having a bootloader that doesn't complain is just a bonus. Cloud backup and cloud restore is a must for me though. Maybe when Lineage comes out a stock-ish gapps experience will be possible.

At the moment, I only see custom roms as experiments. Latest firmware is important for this phone and not every rom stays current even if there are improvements being made over AOSP.

shiftr182

Oct 5, 2010
Boise
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I purchased a Google phone because I want the Google features. I have had many phones over the years, and kept coming back to Google because of the integration. I don't want to login 5 times to get my email, cloud storage, photos, calendar, etc. working. I also use a lot of Google products at home (Google TV, Google Home, Nest, etc) so my phone and house play well together. When they started making Pixels, and adding exclusive features to them, it made it even harder to go with another OEM, or even ROM at that point. It seems like every time I've tried a ROM I end up losing some functionality of the Pixel. I like the stock ROM for the most part, and there are magisk modules to fix the things I don't like, therefore making it perfect 😁.

razercortex

Apr 8, 2018
"Everyone's got something to hide" is a pretty baseless argument, as I do not. I generally do not use my phone for sensitive information.

Any info that is on here right now, Google had long before I purchased this device. I would be careful with assumptions on XDA, most here aren't exactly average users.

Apologies, I didn't mean it as an attack, just generally.

Unfortunately, I handle sensitive information like bank login on my phone, so I have to safeguard it :/

scott.hart.bti

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 19, 2012
Reading
I will not waste my time on those because I'm not a paranoid conspiracy nut. Why in the world would anyone pay close to 1k on a smartphone, just to eliminate a majority of the features and functions is beyond me. Everything is already out there and has been for years. If I was that concerned about privacy, I'd smash my phone, destroy my sim, and lock myself in a bomb shelter and never come out. When I first heard people mention those builds, I thought it was like an April fool's prank.

TheForceUnleashed

Feb 11, 2012
Louisiana
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I will not waste my time on those because I'm not a paranoid conspiracy nut. Why in the world would anyone pay close to 1k on a smartphone, just to eliminate a majority of the features and functions is beyond me. Everything is already out there and has been for years. If I was that concerned about privacy, I'd smash my phone, destroy my sim, and lock myself in a bomb shelter and never come out. When I first heard people mention those builds, I thought it was like an April fool's prank.
This. This is exactly how I feel, right on the nose.

You can't buy a $1000 Google flagship phone and put a custom ROM on it and expect that it's good enough to hide your information from the world well enough to satisfy you. This is the prime age of technology, information moves way too fast for anybody to stop it. Even if you put GrapheneOS on the phone, you still have a cellular carrier that knows your information, you still have to access the internet in some fashion and because your phone is basically an extension of yourself you're going to identify yourself in a multitude of ways regardless of how many services you take off the phone.

I just think, in my opinion, it's better to accept it and just live within your means than go through all the stresses of trying to shrink your footprint. You can't even reap the total value of having a phone this expensive if you're basically ridding it of all of what makes it as valuable as it is. If you worry about your information being snooped upon to that extent you'd be better off buying an old Blackberry or flip phone.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I don't because of convenience. Security and privacy isn't all or nothing. There are levels to it.
    I 98% like the way my rooted and Magisk-moduled stock ROM on the P6P works as-is. I have nothing against the custom ROMs, and definitely nothing against the so professionally developed ones. They're interesting. I think it's great that they're available. Everyone's needs and expectations are different.

Convenience. I want all the apps and features that come with a Pixel, and Graphene would mean to sacrifice 70% convenience for more security.

I am deep into all the Google apps and will not stop doing that. They are simply too good.
    Wouldn't a more accurate question be why would you buy a phone that was designed with a processor to work specifically with Google's software and then strip the device completely of Google's software (other than AOSP)

Privacy is an illusion just like the American Dream. Have to be asleep to believe them both. Joking aside, convenience is why.