• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Honor 10 reboot randomly

Search This thread

eddyxx

Nov 29, 2021
Hi, I have a problem with a Honor 10.
Since August it started to restart randomly, I just replaced the battery and I just did two factory reset but the problem continues to manifest even in the configuration screen.
I would exclude the faulty power button, since before rebooting it usually froze on the activity I was performing.
Any ideas?
Thank you!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Test power button with ohm meter.
It was doing this after the reset with just it's factory load? No 3rd party apps loaded?
Try reflashing firmware.
Maybe be a mobo failure.

eddyxx

Nov 29, 2021
Test power button with ohm meter.
It was doing this after the reset with just it's factory load? No 3rd party apps loaded?
Try reflashing firmware.
Maybe be a mobo failure.
I really don't think is the power button because it reboot even in idle on the table, and i saw that if i put it on charge it reboot instantly.
I have this problem even in the configuration screens after the factory reset, indeed i've must configured two or three times because of that.
I'll try to reflash the firmware, then i'll wait for a new battery i ordered a month ago.
If it will be still broken i guess is a mobo failure.

I have a question: i didn't flashed a smartphone before, and i was asking myself if this reboot problem can mess up with flashing, bricking the phone. Can it be possible?

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I really don't think is the power button because it reboot even in idle on the table, and i saw that if i put it on charge it reboot instantly.
I have this problem even in the configuration screens after the factory reset, indeed i've must configured two or three times because of that.
I'll try to reflash the firmware, then i'll wait for a new battery i ordered a month ago.

I have a question: i didn't flashed a smartphone before, and i was asking myself if this reboot problem can mess up with flashing, bricking the phone. Can it be possible?

Yeah if it interrupts the flash that won't end well...

Reactions: eddyxx

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
If you can return it, do so... otherwise...

Before you go flashing nuts try to determine if it's a hardware issue. Check ribbon cable connectors... and that switch.
Firmware shouldn't become corrupted unless there's a flash memory failure or it was a bad flash to begin with.
Does it not do this is safe mode? 3rd party app if so.
If it does it when in the boot menu it's likely hardware.
If so it may be just a failed battery. Try with charger connected to see if this alters the behavior.

If you don't feel comfortable repairing it, let a good tech do it for you. I always remember my first mechanical alarm clock disassembly... it didn't go well🤣

eddyxx

Nov 29, 2021
If you can return it, do so... otherwise...

Before you go flashing nuts try to determine if it's a hardware issue. Check ribbon cable connectors... and that switch.
Firmware shouldn't become corrupted unless there's a flash memory failure or it was a bad flash to begin with.
Does it not do this is safe mode? 3rd party app if so.
If it does it when in the boot menu it's likely hardware.
If so it may be just a failed battery. Try with charger connected to see if this alters the behavior.

If you don't feel comfortable repairing it, let a good tech do it for you. I always remember my first mechanical alarm clock disassembly... it didn't go well🤣
It reboots even in safe mode!
It would seem a hardware problem, possible that I bought a new battery already damaged?
It’s been a few hours since it works good after charging it to 100%, it seems that it starts to reboot towards 50%.
I wanted to flash it also because before doing the factory reset, it automatically installed some "stock" apps by itself, I refer to some games that Honor automatically installs at each factory reset, every time I uninstalled them, after some restart they reinstalled themselves.
It was a weird issue but looks like fixed with the factory reset, so now i only have the reboot issue.
I am so desperate that I would like to try the battery of my Honor 10 (the one with problems is that of my girlfriend), I would not buy another battery since I have to be delivered the one I ordered from a month.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It may be the battery, they can fail at any time.
It's rare for new ones to fail but it happens.
Use a firewall to block auto updates or installs.
Karma Firewall works well but its valuable logging feature doesn't work on Android 10 and higher, but it still will block apps.

Reactions: eddyxx

eddyxx

Nov 29, 2021
Update: I just bought another battery and the problem persist.
Now im sure is not the battery so i will flash it very soon no matter what.

citibatter

Dec 27, 2021
I have been having the same problem as you guys have since last Christmas (2020), when my phone was 18 months old.

I switched phone and gave the Honor 10 to my wife for Coin Master and the problem persisted.

However, two months ago the battery started to swell and surprisingly the problem went away completely for about a month. But as it swelled to the extent of pushing out the screen the problem returned a month ago.

Thinking it was possibly a battery/battery connection related issue, I changed to a new Pisen battery last night. Sadly, the rebooting continued but only for 2-3 times today.

So it is probably an issue with the board itself.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I have been having the same problem as you guys have since last Christmas (2020), when my phone was 18 months old.

I switched phone and gave the Honor 10 to my wife for Coin Master and the problem persisted.

However, two months ago the battery started to swell and surprisingly the problem went away completely for about a month. But as it swelled to the extent of pushing out the screen the problem returned a month ago.

Thinking it was possibly a battery/battery connection related issue, I changed to a new Pisen battery last night. Sadly, the rebooting continued but only for 2-3 times today.

So it is probably an issue with the board itself.
The battery failure may have damaged the mobo or perhaps it was preexisting.
Check ribbon connector pins for damage. Look around for visible solder cracks. Try pressing gently on the mobo with a pencil eraser with device powered on to try to find the area. Check ribbon cables too by gently moving them.

One of the most likely places for a failed solder joint are the BGA chipsets. The many solder pads are under the chipset, inaccessible.
Press gently on them to try and verify this. A hot air station (and skillset to use it) is the only way to repair this type of failure.

Any battery swelling is a failure, replace it asap.

citibatter

Dec 27, 2021
The battery failure may have damaged the mobo or perhaps it was preexisting.
Check ribbon connector pins for damage. Look around for visible solder cracks. Try pressing gently on the mobo with a pencil eraser with device powered on to try to find the area. Check ribbon cables too by gently moving them.

One of the most likely places for a failed solder joint are the BGA chipsets. The many solder pads are under the chipset, inaccessible.
Press gently on them to try and verify this. A hot air station (and skillset to use it) is the only way to repair this type of failure.

Any battery swelling is a failure, replace it asap.
As I said, battery has been replaced with a brand new one. Therefore the swelling issue is fixed.

Don't have the skill set to use a hot air gun or to solder so this is it for me.

Quite disappointed by the QC of Huawei as this was my first Huawei phone. I have been using Xiaomi since my first smartphone and never had an issue like this before.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
As I said, battery has been replaced with a brand new one. Therefore the swelling issue is fixed.

Don't have the skill set to use a hot air gun or to solder so this is it for me.

Quite disappointed by the QC of Huawei as this was my first Huawei phone. I have been using Xiaomi since my first smartphone and never had an issue like this before.

My point was a mobo failure is generally a game over event.
I run strictly Samsung's as I like their UI and have become familiar with them. Of course in 2-3 years that could change if Samsung keeps dropping the ball.

citibatter

Dec 27, 2021
My point was a mobo failure is generally a game over event.
I run strictly Samsung's as I like their UI and have become familiar with them. Of course in 2-3 years that could change if Samsung keeps dropping the ball.
I understand.

That said, Huawei did replace the MBs for out of warranty customers in mainland China as a good will gesture.

Too bad that policy did not extend outside of China.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I understand.

That said, Huawei did replace the MBs for out of warranty customers in mainland China as a good will gesture.

Too bad that policy did not extend outside of China.
Maybe see if they'll discount a mobo for you.
Not free but it might sweeten the deal.
Or write it off and move on.

All my Samsung's have been long lived with replacement batteries being the only repairs.
Another reason I like them.
In my case it was sort of dumb luck especially when choosing the first Note 10+. In this case they did live up to their hype.
The S4+ lasted over 5 years and still boots up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah if it interrupts the flash that won't end well...
    It may be the battery, they can fail at any time.
    It's rare for new ones to fail but it happens.
    Use a firewall to block auto updates or installs.
    Karma Firewall works well but its valuable logging feature doesn't work on Android 10 and higher, but it still will block apps.