Honor Open Source Program

Search This thread

kavee.gauravjoshi

Nov 21, 2016
Pune, Maharashtra
Hi @[email protected]_USA, I would like to recommend @Shreesha.Murthy for this Honor Open Source Program.

I'm quoting just one example for his work. He has single handedly brought Android Oreo (8.0 and 8.1) to OnePlus 2 device and had working on following ROMs-
* Unofficial LOS
* Pixel Experience
* AOSiP

All the current Oreo ROMs for OnePlus 2 are based on his work which says a lot about his credentials.

His tremendous capabilities makes him an ideal candidate who can unlock true potential of Honor mobiles and AI enabled Kirin chipset.

His XDA profile - https://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=7131520

His GitHub profile -
https://github.com/Shreeesha

Last edited:

LuyNagda

Jan 7, 2018
Hi @[email protected]_USA, I would like to recommend @Shreesha.Murthy for this Honor Open Source Program.

I'm quoting just one example for his work. He has single handedly brought Android Oreo (8.0 and 8.1) to OnePlus 2 device and had working on following ROMs-
* Unofficial LOS
* Pixel Experience
* AOSiP

All the current Oreo ROMs for OnePlus 2 are based on his work which says a lot about his credentials.

His tremendous capabilities makes him an ideal candidate who can unlock true potential of Honor mobiles and AI enabled Kirin chipset.

His XDA profile - https://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=7131520

His GitHub profile -
https://github.com/Shreeesha
I agree with you.
I've been his tester for a year now, his builds have always booted in maximum of 3rd try.
He is hardworking and ambitious and his ROMs are always the smoothest among other people.

ShreyanshLodha

Jun 15, 2015
Bangalore
Greetings @[email protected]_USA,
I'd like to recommend @Shreesha.Murthy for this Honor Open Source Program.
The reason why I feel that he deserves this chance is that, he's been one of the major why OnePlus 2 has seen Nougat and Oreo even when OnePlus didn't provide any Nougat update.
He is young, talented, hardworking and most of all he knows what he is doing, he's into custom ROM development from a small age.
And also he is one of the most humble developer I came across.
And not only development but he also helps a lot of fellow mates and shares all the knowledge needed, without hesitating.
Most of all device trees for OnePlus 2 are either based on his or Grarak's efforts.
Also recently he was able to boot Unoffical Lineage 15.1 in Enforcing mode. That build is not released yet but the teaser is attached below.

Thank you.

Screenshot_20180113-011026.png

DarKrypton

Jan 23, 2013
Hello @Chris @Honor_USA I am just gonna be honest. I just love @mohancm 's DotOS. It's the best ROM till now. No bugs, and dam smooth as butter. Battery backup is just great. I can use it for almost a day or bit more. I am not a heavy gamer, but i tried few games. And they all ran great at high settings. Plus i really hope more phones gets this ROM too. It's really amazing to have an great friend and developer like Mohan. He did an amazing work. :) Thank you buddy. :D

nickp22127

Oct 7, 2013
Before jumping up and down with high hopes over this news, maybe you all should read @nickp22127's comment, on the article about this...

Here it is, for the lazy:
"They did something similar with the honor 8. Not one stable ROM came from it, mainly because not everything was made open source. And from what I remember, I saw developers say a lot of the code was in Chinese so it didn't do much good.
And the honor 8 XDA is pretty dead since most developers moved on to other devices.
The honor 8 was a nice little phone, but as far as open sourcing it went it was a joke, and quite honestly I wouldn't buy another huawei device after that. Really just seemed like a marketing ploy."

Add that to the fact they're only interested in US devs, shunning everyone else, who actually constitutes the bulk of Huawei's dev community, and you may start to get a different picture about this apparent "new" openness. Time will tell.

Maybe I missed it, but it seems my original comment was removed. Wonder why...

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

open_source.jpg

Hey everyone,

We at Honor want to grow our community and following.
So in doing so, we are opening the AI source and bootloaders for the Honor View 10 to developers to be able to have access not only the AI APIs but also root and give the opportunity for rom's to be developed. We want to see what some of you can do by having access to our AI eco-system.

This is extremely exciting for us at Honor and proud to invite 1000 developers, as our sign of commitment to the community to join the Honor Open Source program.

We plan to release this program by end of January 2018. There are still details to iron out but will definitely keep everyone informed with more info.

Please visit https://store.hihonor.com/us/ to sign up to be notified. Also stay tuned to this thread as well.

Being apart of the XDA community myself as a consumer for 8 years, XDA has a close place in my heart. I appreciate and thank all the developers here, personally. I am really excited to share this news to you all.

I will reach out to the LoS and AOSPA team and others, myself as I know how important they will be.
I' all ears from you all regarding feedback. I believe this news will be well received.

Cheers!
Chris

Hey Chris. So how is this supposed to be any different than what you guys did with the honor 8, partnering with XDA, releasing the 8's source code and etc to boost the development community of the phone? Because the 8's development is dead. Hardly even took off seeing as how the source code was in multiple languages, and not one stable ROM came from it.

So why should someone trust honor to come through this time?

Anyone who is skeptical of my comment, go ahead and check the honor 8 XDA page.

Last edited:
M

Meticulus

I wonder if the gatekeeper, keystore and rpmb source will get released. That would probably make my life a lot easier... ;)

Oh effing hwcomposer too!

[email protected]_USA

Official Honor USA Rep
Dec 26, 2017
Whats up everyone, to address a few things...

So I do hear the concerns some of you have about providing proper English translated documentation. I have a passion for the developer community, as myself have been flashing roms and unlocking my android devices since my very first Android phone.

Unfortunately , I was not apart of Honor when the Honor 8 cooperation with XDA was supposed to happen. If there are issues with documentation, source, etc. I'll complain to whoever I need to till that gets resolved.
Sure, there is a lack of trust from the past, I get that.. but I want to be apart and be the one who will make amends and do everything I can to make this happen.

There are developers outside of the USA. We certainly want to grow our presence here in the US. It may be a bit more difficult or take a bit longer for other regions to get the same development support but hopefully I can make that happen.

We are still shooting for end of January to launch this program. IF all goes as planned, we'll be receiving a first batch of View 10's end of January which we'll be able to send out to developers.

Appreciate the feedback, once again. Excited to bring great hardware to great developers for a great community

Cheers!
-Chris

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T

So I do hear the concerns some of you have about providing proper English translated documentation. I have a passion for the developer community, as myself have been flashing roms and unlocking my android devices since my very first Android phone.

Unfortunately , I was not apart of Honor when the Honor 8 cooperation with XDA was supposed to happen. If there are issues with documentation, source, etc. I'll complain to whoever I need to till that gets resolved.
Sure, there is a lack of trust from the past, I get that.. but I want to be apart and be the one who will make amends and do everything I can to make this happen.

There are developers outside of the USA. We certainly want to grow our presence here in the US. It may be a bit more difficult or take a bit longer for other regions to get the same development support but hopefully I can make that happen.

We are still shooting for end of January to launch this program. IF all goes as planned, we'll be receiving a first batch of View 10's end of January which we'll be able to send out to developers.

Appreciate the feedback, once again. Excited to bring great hardware to great developers for a great community

Cheers!
-Chris

I will hold out hope. Not sure what you can do that Mike cannon couldn't but here is to hoping.

I'll tell you that proper translated source wl either make or break the project. I have spoken to some of the developers you were in contact with and they have all said pretty much the same thing. If the source is not translated properly then they won't even bother touching the device. It will sit in a drawer right next to the honor 8 they were sent.

I'll watch closely and see how things come along.

Will need lots of help to over come the news about this oem being a security risk. I'll be the first one to step up and stand beside the team if they can pull it off.

Yash9060

Feb 17, 2015
ahmedabad

Cheers!
-Chris

How is this program going to be launch in January 2018 itself when even the release date has not been announced in USA
I mean before you launch this program let people have their devices . Can you give some idea about how long it will take to launch in USA as it has been made available in Europe, India and UK

M

Meticulus

I will hold out hope. Not sure what you can do that Mike cannon couldn't but here is to hoping.

I'll tell you that proper translated source wl either make or break the project. I have spoken to some of the developers you were in contact with and they have all said pretty much the same thing. If the source is not translated properly then they won't even bother touching the device. It will sit in a drawer right next to the honor 8 they were sent.

I'll watch closely and see how things come along.

Will need lots of help to over come the news about this oem being a security risk. I'll be the first one to step up and stand beside the team if they can pull it off.

I guess I don't understand this 'translation problem' thing. Is it the comments? The function definitions? variables? documentation? I mean C is C everywhere in the world right? Java is java everywhere in the world too right? I guess this must be something I've never seen before... :laugh:

hackslash

Recognized Contributor
Feb 20, 2015
Islamabad
Redmi K20 Pro
I guess I don't understand this 'translation problem' thing. Is it the comments? The function definitions? variables? documentation? I mean C is C everywhere in the world right? Java is java everywhere in the world too right? I guess this must be something I've never seen before... :laugh:

It's the commenting. It's hard to understand what a function xyz with parameters a and b does if the commenting isn't clear.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    open_source.jpg

Hey everyone,

We at Honor want to grow our community and following.
    So in doing so, we are opening/releasing the AI source, kernel source and bootloaders for the Honor View 10 to developers to be able to have access not only the AI APIs but also root and give the opportunity for rom's to be developed. We want to see what some of you can do by having access to our AI eco-system.

This is extremely exciting for us at Honor and proud to invite 1000 developers, as our sign of commitment to the community to join the Honor Open Source program.

We plan to release this program by end of January 2018. There are still details to iron out but will definitely keep everyone informed with more info.

Please visit https://store.hihonor.com/us/ to sign up to be notified. Also stay tuned to this thread as well.

Being apart of the XDA community myself as a consumer for 8 years, XDA has a close place in my heart. I appreciate and thank all the developers here, personally. I am really excited to share this news to you all.

I will reach out to the LoS and AOSPA team and others, myself as I know how important they will be.
    I'm all ears from you all regarding feedback. I believe this news will be well received.

Cheers!
    Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 1: To register for recruitment, please sign up here and share: https://goo.gl/forms/GEmYu75TnxUCeRu53

I've compiled a list of documents and source that developers need:
    1. Kernel Source
    2. Fastboot Factory images
    3. NFC and Audio Amp source
    4. Device trees
    5. AI APIs

This is a list that I will request and also stress that any Chinese needs to be translated to English.
    If there is anything else that devs may need, please feel free to let me know so I can ensure we make it happen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 2:
    Hope everyone is well

Big update with some exciting news to share!
    We have selected the first initial developers to receive the Honor View 10. These developers are key building blocks for future development for the View 10. We're really happy to have these devs and their appropriate team on board and willing to participate with the Honor Open Source Program.

Yes, there are other important teams and developers in the community and we will provide devices to the other team members as well (LOS, AOSPA, AOSIP, DU, etc).
    This is just the first, small phase of many more to come.

This should greatly jump start development once we release the kernel source publicly to download

First 9 Developers are:
    @LuK1337
    @topjohnwu
    @franciscofranco
    @luca020400
    @rovo89
    @OldDroid
    @phhusson
    @Myself5
    @Dees_Troy

If all goes according to planned, kernel source should be available in the next week or two (for the EU model).

Thanks for all of your support! Hang in there and I'll keep everyone updated as more info is available :)

Cheers!
    Chris

Update 3:

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I have some big news to start off the week...

Kernel Source has been posted for Honor View 10!
    See here: https://goo.gl/1aNqGT

I'll be shipping the first 10 devices today or tomorrow, to those key devs I announced last week.

Update 4:
    @topjohnwu has officially brought us Magisk root support for View 10

Update 5: @Dees_Troy has Officially released TWRP for the View 10
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/hon...overy-t3752397

Update: 5

Another batch of developers have been selected. Email for shipping info going out

Update: 6

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kfNAjIwiMj8wpeDuJayiH2t-srYBBvN3

Here is the link to download the following images for BKL-L04 (US):
    - System
    - Ramdisk
    - Recovery_ramdisk
    - Vendor
    - Kernel
    Update 1: To register for recruitment, please sign up here and share: https://goo.gl/forms/GEmYu75TnxUCeRu53

Please share this link to other devs/teams. It can also be found on the OP.

I've compiled a list of documents and source that developers need:
    1. Kernel Source
    2. Fastboot Factory images
    3. NFC and Audio Amp source
    4. Device trees
    5. AI APIs

This is a list that I will request and stress that Chinese to be translated to English.
    If there is anything else that devs may need, please feel free to let me know so I can ensure we make it happen
    Hope everyone is well

Big update with some exciting news to share!
    We have selected the first initial developers to receive the Honor View 10. These developers are key building blocks for future development for the View 10. We're really happy to have these devs and their appropriate team on board and willing to participate with the Honor Open Source Program.

Yes, there are other important teams and developers in the community and we will provide devices to the other team members as well (LOS, AOSPA, AOSIP, DU, etc).
    This is just the first, small phase of many more to come.

This should greatly jump start development once we release the kernel source publicly to download

First 9 Developers are:
    @LuK1337
    @topjohnwu
    @franciscofranco
    @luca020400
    @rovo89
    @OldDroid
    @phhusson
    @Myself5
    @Dees_Troy

If all goes according to planned, kernel source should be available in the next week or two (for the EU model).

Thanks for all of your support! Hang in there and I'll keep everyone updated as more info is available :)

Cheers!
    Chris
    To clarify... if you recently purchased the View10, you can still unlock the bootloader. You have 60 days from now.
    The site indicates models released prior to today have 60 days, not "If you purchased".

I will continue to fight and urge that the unlock site be kept open. If anything, provide a way for Honor devices (view10) to unlock their bootloaders instead of cutting access all together.

You guys have no idea how much this pains me, to find this information out. I've been working hard (as some may know) on this program, communicating with the developers in this community which I appreciate and am apart of personally. This strikes close to home for me, even as a user (setting aside everything else).

I hope there will be changes made soon and will continue to represent this community. If there is other information I'll keep everyone posted to the best of my ability.

-Chris
    Update: 5

Another batch of developers have been selected. Email for shipping info going out