Honor Open Source Program

Search This thread

Chris@Honor_USA

Official Honor USA Rep
Dec 26, 2017
open_source.jpg

Hey everyone,

We at Honor want to grow our community and following.
So in doing so, we are opening/releasing the AI source, kernel source and bootloaders for the Honor View 10 to developers to be able to have access not only the AI APIs but also root and give the opportunity for rom's to be developed. We want to see what some of you can do by having access to our AI eco-system.

This is extremely exciting for us at Honor and proud to invite 1000 developers, as our sign of commitment to the community to join the Honor Open Source program.

We plan to release this program by end of January 2018. There are still details to iron out but will definitely keep everyone informed with more info.

Please visit https://store.hihonor.com/us/ to sign up to be notified. Also stay tuned to this thread as well.

Being apart of the XDA community myself as a consumer for 8 years, XDA has a close place in my heart. I appreciate and thank all the developers here, personally. I am really excited to share this news to you all.

I will reach out to the LoS and AOSPA team and others, myself as I know how important they will be.
I'm all ears from you all regarding feedback. I believe this news will be well received.

Cheers!
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 1: To register for recruitment, please sign up here and share: https://goo.gl/forms/GEmYu75TnxUCeRu53

I've compiled a list of documents and source that developers need:
1. Kernel Source
2. Fastboot Factory images
3. NFC and Audio Amp source
4. Device trees
5. AI APIs

This is a list that I will request and also stress that any Chinese needs to be translated to English.
If there is anything else that devs may need, please feel free to let me know so I can ensure we make it happen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 2:
Hope everyone is well

Big update with some exciting news to share!
We have selected the first initial developers to receive the Honor View 10. These developers are key building blocks for future development for the View 10. We're really happy to have these devs and their appropriate team on board and willing to participate with the Honor Open Source Program.

Yes, there are other important teams and developers in the community and we will provide devices to the other team members as well (LOS, AOSPA, AOSIP, DU, etc).
This is just the first, small phase of many more to come.

This should greatly jump start development once we release the kernel source publicly to download

First 9 Developers are:
@LuK1337
@topjohnwu
@franciscofranco
@luca020400
@rovo89
@OldDroid
@phhusson
@Myself5
@Dees_Troy

If all goes according to planned, kernel source should be available in the next week or two (for the EU model).

Thanks for all of your support! Hang in there and I'll keep everyone updated as more info is available :)

Cheers!
Chris

Update 3:

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I have some big news to start off the week...

Kernel Source has been posted for Honor View 10!
See here: https://goo.gl/1aNqGT

I'll be shipping the first 10 devices today or tomorrow, to those key devs I announced last week.

Update 4:
@topjohnwu has officially brought us Magisk root support for View 10

Update 5: @Dees_Troy has Officially released TWRP for the View 10
https://xdaforums.com/hon...overy-t3752397

Update: 5

Another batch of developers have been selected. Email for shipping info going out

Update: 6

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kfNAjIwiMj8wpeDuJayiH2t-srYBBvN3

Here is the link to download the following images for BKL-L04 (US):
- System
- Ramdisk
- Recovery_ramdisk
- Vendor
- Kernel

Last edited:

Chris@Honor_USA

Official Honor USA Rep
Dec 26, 2017
This sounds amazing! I wasn't even aware that this was in the works. Can we nominate a particular developer to receive one? If so, I nominate XDA Senior Member phhusson so he can continue his work on generic, AOSP Treble ROMs.

P.S. I'll keep in touch with the AOSPA team and update the community on how things go!

Absolutely! We want to hear feedback and I can reach out to them if tagged. Ideally we're wanting to stay in the USA, but I'll find out more info.

I have already posted on the AOSPA G+ group and have gotten in contact with the LOS team as well.

CertifiedBlyndGuy

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2014
Denver
OnePlus 9 Pro
Great to hear! I'd love to subscribe to the open source program when it's available.

I'd like to nominate @chadouming to receive a device for his contributions to upstreaming the use of toolchains used when compiling Android and for having taken on the Uber project as a whole when Chet Kener left development. He puts so much time into projects and his work to make it stand out. I can't stress his contributions enough. Check out his GitHub profile:

https://github.com/chadouming

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
open_source.jpg

Hey everyone,

So in doing so, we are opening the AI source and bootloaders for the Honor View 10 to developers to be able to have access not only the AI APIs but also root and give the opportunity for rom's to be developed. We want to see what some of you can do by having access to our AI eco-system.

This is extremely exciting for us at Honor and proud to invite 1000 developers, as our sign of commitment to the community to join the Honor Open Source program.

We plan to release this program by end of January 2018. There are still details to iron out but will definitely keep everyone informed with more info.

Please visit https://store.hihonor.com/us/ to sign up to be notified. Also stay tuned to this thread as well.

Being apart of the XDA community myself as a consumer for 8 years, XDA has a close place in my heart. I appreciate and thank all the developers here, personally. I am really excited to share this news to you all.

I will reach out to the LoS and AOSPA team and others, myself as I know how important they will be.
I' all ears from you all regarding feedback. I believe this news will be well received.

Cheers!
Chris

Nicely said Chris! Now I definitely want to get my hands on the View10! However, if I am not mistaken, the one that was released does not have US LTE bands correct? If I purchase the chinese version, can the LTE bands be unlocked or do I have to wait for the US/Global version? Also when will it be released?

Yash9060

Feb 17, 2015
ahmedabad
+1 Chris. The Honor view 10 sold in India has no support for LTE bands used by USA carriers. So if I purchase my view 10 from India can additional LTE bands be unlocked manually. I am eager to get my hands on view 10 (sold in India and not Chinese version )but the lack of LTE bands used by USA carriers is the only thing holding me back.

jdfjunk

Dec 12, 2007
This is tremendous news and i think having developers have access to bootloader and ai will really expand the potential for this device and the user experience. Look forward to being involved.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
open_source.jpg

Hey everyone,

So in doing so, we are opening the AI source and bootloaders for the Honor View 10 to developers to be able to have access not only the AI APIs but also root and give the opportunity for rom's to be developed. We want to see what some of you can do by having access to our AI eco-system.

I' all ears from you all regarding feedback. I believe this news will be well received.

Cheers!
Chris
One of the biggest issue with the honor source for the kernel was the fact that a lot of it was in un-translable Chinese. If you guys help with the translation I am sure Honor devices would get far more custom rom development. It's one of the things that prevented me from getting the device. I only buy devices I can build aosp for.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    open_source.jpg

Hey everyone,

So in doing so, we are opening/releasing the AI source, kernel source and bootloaders for the Honor View 10 to developers to be able to have access not only the AI APIs but also root and give the opportunity for rom's to be developed. We want to see what some of you can do by having access to our AI eco-system.

I'm all ears from you all regarding feedback. I believe this news will be well received.

Cheers!
    Chris

Update 1: To register for recruitment, please sign up here and share: https://goo.gl/forms/GEmYu75TnxUCeRu53

1. Kernel Source
    4. Device trees
    5. AI APIs

This is a list that I will request and also stress that any Chinese needs to be translated to English.
    If there is anything else that devs may need, please feel free to let me know so I can ensure we make it happen

Update 2:
    Hope everyone is well

We have selected the first initial developers to receive the Honor View 10. These developers are key building blocks for future development for the View 10. We're really happy to have these devs and their appropriate team on board and willing to participate with the Honor Open Source Program.

Yes, there are other important teams and developers in the community and we will provide devices to the other team members as well (LOS, AOSPA, AOSIP, DU, etc).

This should greatly jump start development once we release the kernel source publicly to download

First 9 Developers are:
    @LuK1337
    @topjohnwu
    @franciscofranco
    @luca020400
    @rovo89
    @OldDroid
    @phhusson
    @Myself5
    @Dees_Troy

If all goes according to planned, kernel source should be available in the next week or two (for the EU model).

Thanks for all of your support! Hang in there and I'll keep everyone updated as more info is available :)

Cheers!
    Chris

Update 3:

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I have some big news to start off the week...

Kernel Source has been posted for Honor View 10!
    See here: https://goo.gl/1aNqGT

I'll be shipping the first 10 devices today or tomorrow, to those key devs I announced last week.

Update 4:
    @topjohnwu has officially brought us Magisk root support for View 10

Update 5: @Dees_Troy has Officially released TWRP for the View 10
    https://xdaforums.com/hon...overy-t3752397

Another batch of developers have been selected. Email for shipping info going out

Update: 6

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kfNAjIwiMj8wpeDuJayiH2t-srYBBvN3

Here is the link to download the following images for BKL-L04 (US):
    - System
    - Ramdisk
    - Recovery_ramdisk
    - Vendor
    - Kernel

Please share this link to other devs/teams. It can also be found on the OP.

1. Kernel Source
    4. Device trees
    5. AI APIs

This is a list that I will request and stress that Chinese to be translated to English.
    Hope everyone is well

First 9 Developers are:
    @LuK1337
    @topjohnwu
    @franciscofranco
    @luca020400
    @rovo89
    @OldDroid
    @phhusson
    @Myself5
    @Dees_Troy

Cheers!
    Chris
    To clarify... if you recently purchased the View10, you can still unlock the bootloader. You have 60 days from now.
    The site indicates models released prior to today have 60 days, not "If you purchased".

I will continue to fight and urge that the unlock site be kept open. If anything, provide a way for Honor devices (view10) to unlock their bootloaders instead of cutting access all together.

You guys have no idea how much this pains me, to find this information out. I've been working hard (as some may know) on this program, communicating with the developers in this community which I appreciate and am apart of personally. This strikes close to home for me, even as a user (setting aside everything else).

I hope there will be changes made soon and will continue to represent this community. If there is other information I'll keep everyone posted to the best of my ability.

-Chris