Question Horizontal split screen in Portrait orientation

Search This thread

S0und_

Apr 27, 2011
My question is, is there a way to have a split screen mode in portrait orientation where the apps are above/below each other, instead of left and right? Just like how a phone would handle this.

What i have right now

What i want

Each window has a handle, but you can only swap they position, instead of changing the alignment.

Thanks!

S0und_

Apr 27, 2011
If you turn off miui optimizations you'd get the normal split screen but I noticed the 3 fingers screenshot won't work also.

This is weird, i can't find it in the dev options, but it shows up in the search. If i click on the search result it only brings me into Dev options, since the checkbox is missing.

EDIT:

Imagine googling stuff first...

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/04/19/m...ing-in-developer-options-try-this-workaround/

Worked, thanks!

*EDIT2:*

If someone arriving to this thread later on, i'm on version 12.5.8.

Also as i seems, disabling the optimization, you have to give up on floating windows too.

EDIT3:

since MIUI 13, disabling the optimization, won't disable floating windows.

Last edited:

RaFePt

Jul 4, 2022
Unfortunately this wasn't fixed in MIUI 13, which is pretty disappointing.
In the latest version of miui 13 by disabling the optimization does it still allow you to do the horizontal split screen?
Im thinking of buying this tablet but horizontal split screen in portrait mode is essential for me
Also can you move the split bar making one app bigger?

krvrian

Mar 20, 2019
In the latest version of miui 13 by disabling the optimization does it still allow you to do the horizontal split screen?
Im thinking of buying this tablet but horizontal split screen in portrait mode is essential for me
It still does but somehow it looks broken when you open recent app, probably using GSI rom would be better.. also split screening setting will crash the system ui, idk why..

S0und_

Apr 27, 2011

Interesting, it's still MI UI 13 but turning off optimization split screen works in portrait. Previously you've lost the floating window feature because of that, so it's not really worth it. Although it's still broken a bit. So in landscape you can resize the apps in a 33/66 or 50% or 66/33 ratio. In portrait you only have 50% 33/66 doesn't work its snaps back to 50.
lAdX7yk.jpg

Reactions: RaFePt

RaFePt

Jul 4, 2022
Sorry if I'm bothering you but I'm really conflicted between this Xiaomi pad 5 and the Lenovo tab p11 pro, their the same price over here
I love the xiaomi but I'm scared of the software, do videos (YouTube in full screen, netflix, chrome) still play in the split screen (portrait) while using other apps?
Also what do you mean by broken?
Interesting, it's still MI UI 13 but turning off optimization split screen works in portrait. Previously you've lost the floating window feature because of that, so it's not really worth it. Although it's still broken a bit. So in landscape you can resize the apps in a 33/66 or 50% or 66/33 ratio. In portrait you only have 50% 33/66 doesn't work its snaps back to 50.
lAdX7yk.jpg

S0und_

Apr 27, 2011
Sorry if I'm bothering you but I'm really conflicted between this Xiaomi pad 5 and the Lenovo tab p11 pro, their the same price over here
I love the xiaomi but I'm scared of the software, do videos (YouTube in full screen, netflix, chrome) still play in the split screen (portrait) while using other apps?
Also what do you mean by broken?
Sorry, forgot to answer your question.

I'm not sure about the performance difference between to two tablets, but Lenovo tab p11 pro has a OLED screen, that's a big plus. Although Xiaomi's LCD is good enough for general content consumption, but it's not good enough for HDR movies. In my country the P11 pro was 30% more expensive then the Tab5, and although i would prefer an OLED screen, i was not willing to pay that much.

You can playback two videos in two different apps in portrait split screen. I've tested this with Youtube and Twitch. What you have to keep in mind, that portrait split screen is stuck in 50-50% app ratio. You have no option to change it to 33/66% which you can do in horizontal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

lAdX7yk.jpg