• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Horrible Auto-Brightness

Search This thread

mac208x

Jun 13, 2009
I was really hoping OnePlus has resolved this issue, it did it on the 6, the regular 6T and the McLaren. Anyone else experiences this? Where the phone just won't adjust? For example you walk outside and it takes it almost a couple min to kick the brightness into full gear. Another example is let's say you're laying in bed in the dark and all of the sudden it kicks it into full brightness and then slowly goes back to a more comfortable one. My S10+ never did such things, nor did it have problems quickly adjusting, if it did it was instant.

Reactions: jongcruz

Neo_Sk8eR

Dec 22, 2006
Yes! It's terrible
Sometimes it does adjust but does the EXACT opposite of what it should.
Go into bright light and it drops it to minimum brightness or blind me when it's dark

mac208x

Jun 13, 2009
Would be nice if there is a way to fix this, or adjust. I'm looking at returning the phone, I couldn't stand that on the 6T.

dubt17

Feb 26, 2010
Turn on adaptive brightness and change it whenever you want, it will learn over time. Mine did since I've had it since launch and it was awful, but now works great.

Reactions: cubarican84

frosty5689

May 10, 2011
Anyone know where the proximity/light sensor is? Not sure where it is but the phone screen does turn off when you put it neae your face during a call.

vwite

May 6, 2017
I have the same issue and just like you I was hopong they fixed it since my last OP phone was the OP6. Can't believe they haven't fixed it in over a year. This is my only con about this phone but it is almost a deal breaker, yeah fingerprint sensor is incredibly fast compared to my S10+ but that doesn't matter if I have to do the extra step of manually adjust brightness every time I unlock the phone

Pfeffernuss

Jun 30, 2009
Wassenaar
Lux was amazing before Android had native adaptive brightness. It's ancient now. Hasn't been updated in over 3 years because it's obsolete (sadly). I wouldn't use this any more.

Hahaha sure. Because of a full wipe "had to" use the stock automatic brightness for a few hours. Well, that was a nice heads up.

Adaptive brightness is completely useless. But, to each his own. Now fully enjoying my custom Lux setup again.

Reactions: 3DSammy

starrynighthn

Mar 16, 2010
Anyone confirms the adaptive brightness work well after several days? I must use Lux because of this terrible auto brightness on Oneplus. LG V40 has very good auto brightness.

.vermilion

Aug 31, 2011
near Berlin
500px.com
Anyone confirms the adaptive brightness work well after several days? I must use Lux because of this terrible auto brightness on Oneplus. LG V40 has very good auto brightness.
For me it works pretty good after using the phone for a couple of days. There are still minor adjustments to do, especially when going from bright sun into a dark room (for me the system sets the brightness too high, but nevertheless it adjusts pretty well and goes very low).

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Using this accessibility one handed menu makes things a bit easier

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190528-073011.jpg
    Screenshot_20190528-073011.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 1,509

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android Pie's adaptive brightness comes with auto-learn feature (which I hope was not disabled by OnePlus devs). So while having adaptive brightness enabled simply adjust brightness manually every time you want it to be different. It'll learn and improve over time.
    It's quite interesting how most of you think this is normal. I've had every flagship phone to come out for the past 3 years and this was never an issue with any of them besides the 6/6T and now the 7 pro. The S10+ I've had, I can't think of a single time I've ever pulled down the notification bar to adjust the brightness, always at a comfortable fully viewable brightness and I had it since release day. Before the keyboard warriors enter, yes I know it's not that difficult to pull down the notification tray and adjust manually, but why should I have to anyway when it should work as any other phone.

I'm also beginning to think something may be up with my unit. There's times where the brightness is at one point, but the screen for whatever reason washes out, darks become gray etc then it'll slowly adjust itself back to normal color hue. Strange.
    News flash people. Auto brightness is a horrible feature in general on any phone. Especially when you can have full control over the brightness level from the quick settings pulldown.
    I was really hoping OnePlus has resolved this issue, it did it on the 6, the regular 6T and the McLaren. Anyone else experiences this? Where the phone just won't adjust? For example you walk outside and it takes it almost a couple min to kick the brightness into full gear. Another example is let's say you're laying in bed in the dark and all of the sudden it kicks it into full brightness and then slowly goes back to a more comfortable one. My S10+ never did such things, nor did it have problems quickly adjusting, if it did it was instant.
    yes, it's horrible. I have to manually adjust brightness now :(