• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Horrible battery and slow charging on Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Hi. I'm typing this answer form my new P6P as Google decided to replace my old device. I set up my phone from scratch without transfering anything from old device AND THE ISSUE IS STILL THERE. Insanely high network standby battery drain +25% of the whole capacity. This is nuts. The employee told me specifically that I won't have this problem with my new device. I don't know what to do. I think I'll just return it and to for a different phone. Btw my partner has a non-pro P6 and he has exactly the same issue. Our sim cards are vodafone.de. Lost count how many hours I was trying to fix this problem. What a time waster.

Find the root cause(s).
Disable all power management for now.
Try temporarily disabling Google play Services and see if that tones it down.
It's not uncommon for Androids to be battery hogs until optimized.
On my Samsung's Google system apps were some of the worst offenders...

Mackmiller974

Jan 19, 2017
Battery charging is definitely slower than my Galaxy Note20 Ultra, but I like the adaptive charging at night. If you set an alarm, it will trickle charge and reach 100% just before. This will prolong battery life but I think the standard charge could be a bit faster. 65W like OnePlus probably does more harm than good in the long run but a true 30W shouldn't be an issue.
I wish it had something like the S21 Series, it has true 25W charging. On my S21 Ultra I get 0-60% in 30 Mins and 0-100% in 67 Mins and it has the same 5000mah battery. 2 Hours to charge a Flagship phone in 2021 is ridiculous. It would be okay if the phone had insane battery life like the 13 Pro Max or something but it doesn't, it gets about 1 Hour less of screen on time then my S21 Ultra. I usually have about 20-25% on the S21 ultra before I go to bed, with the P6P it's almost dead or I have to put it on the charger

Reactions: superman25

Izy

I wish it had something like the S21 Series, it has true 25W charging. On my S21 Ultra I get 0-60% in 30 Mins and 0-100% in 67 Mins and it has the same 5000mah battery. 2 Hours to charge a Flagship phone in 2021 is ridiculous. It would be okay if the phone had insane battery life like the 13 Pro Max or something but it doesn't, it gets about 1 Hour less of screen on time then my S21 Ultra. I usually have about 20-25% on the S21 ultra before I go to bed, with the P6P it's almost dead or I have to put it on the charger
The Samsung series is known to use aggressive battery management and app killing to get it's battery life.

You should notice it also automatically puts apps to sleep as well without asking so important stuff ends up being force slept.

It's already reported the pixel actually gets faster notifications because it's doesn't do this .

Also 1 hour less Vs a device with a newer modem and aggressive power saving profile isn't much. You could probably even that out on pixel with some adjusting the autobrightness etc.

Also why would you get a pixel 6 pro if you have an s21 ultra just to have your first post be complaining it's worse.

Also hasn't the s21 had a bunch of updates now.
I heard the oneui 4.0 android 12 update was a buggy mess

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Toning down the display resolution, refresh rate, and display brightness will help. Brightness uses the most battery. Use manual brightness control. It all adds up...
The newer Androids with their bigger batteries also have displays with bigger battery appetites.
This can offset even nullify the improved chipset efficiency. There are other factors as well but a significant amount of the SOT goes to powering the display... don't overlook that when trying to cut power usage.

I had recently set my N10+ to it's maximum resolution then sort forgot about it. Most times the increased resolution is not even noticable due to the lower resolution content. After about 2 weeks of my forgotten experiment I was wondering where the extra loss of 2-3%@hr SOT was coming from... duh.
After resetting the resolution to it normal midrange setting my SOT usage settled back into the normal single digit range.
Problem solved (user induced)🤣

Mackmiller974

Jan 19, 2017
The Samsung series is known to use aggressive battery management and app killing to get it's battery life.

You should notice it also automatically puts apps to sleep as well without asking so important stuff ends up being force slept.

It's already reported the pixel actually gets faster notifications because it's doesn't do this .

Also 1 hour less Vs a device with a newer modem and aggressive power saving profile isn't much. You could probably even that out on pixel with some adjusting the autobrightness etc.

Also why would you get a pixel 6 pro if you have an s21 ultra just to have your first post be complaining it's worse.

Not much more bugs the Pixel 6 Android 12 release. I make a post about the battery life and charging and now I'm complaining the entire phone is worse?

mysterioustko

Sep 15, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
thesmartphonechamp.com
I've had the phone for about 2 weeks. The battery life is horrible. I leave the phone charging over night and sometimes it stops charging all together. Last night I went to bed with 100% charge. Left phone laying on night stand. Woke up to 70% battery after 8 hours of doing nothing. Mobile network standby used 42% of my battery drain. What is going on with this phone? Should I get a warranty claim replacement?
What kind of charger and cable are you using?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

Power management is up to the user on Samsung's. You don't have to enable it and it will cause erratic behavior.
My SOT usage on the N10+ is typically in the single digits per hour except when streaming vids.

No power management active; all buckets show as active in standby apps:
Screenshot_20211124-194934_Settings.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

Izy

Power management is up to the user on Samsung's. You don't have to enable it and it will cause erratic behavior.
My SOT usage on the N10+ is typically in the single digits except when streaming vids.

No power management active; all buckets show as active in standby apps:
View attachment 5467137
Background app killing is bad on Samsung's
It's bad enough it will mess with fitness apps and until I was rooted it and had memory management disabled in my custom ROM it would even disable Google maps navigation when screen was off.
It's literally known issue and unless you specifically disable it will persist, even then it's not perfect

Up to the user and being on by default also disabling battery optimization doesn't actually stop it

Also update my pps charger arrived today and got close to the 50% in 30min charge though i started with a pretty high battery so it could have easily slowed down

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Background app killing is bad on Samsung's
It's bad enough it will mess with fitness apps and until I was rooted it and had memory management disabled in my custom ROM it would even disable Google maps navigation when screen was off.
It's literally known issue and unless you specifically disable it will persist, even then it's not perfect

Up to the user and being on by default also disabling battery optimization doesn't actually stop it

Also update my pps charger arrived today and got close to the 50% in 30min charge though i started with a pretty high battery so it could have easily slowed down

The correct Device Care settings for power management is shown below. Check standby apps in Developer options to confirm power management is disabled. If the bucket state shows anything other than active on any apps, power management is active. However you can't disable it here. Make sure it's not enabled on the individual apps as well ie battery saving.
Once you understand Samsung's ecosystem and the work arounds, it's a cake walk😎

Tested on both the Pie and Q Snapdragon variants... it works Aok. Deal with power hogs on a case by case basis, the shotgun approach doesn't work very well🤣

Screenshot_20211124-220505_Device care.jpg

Sorry for the derail...
Getting back to the Pixel battery issue, before you try anything, clear the system cache.
It cures many strange erratic behavior problems many times... like magic.

Last edited:

thethruth

Apr 16, 2021
The correct Device Care settings for power management is shown below. Check standby apps in Developer options to confirm power management is disabled. If the bucket state shows anything other than active on any apps, power management is active. However you can't disable it here. Make sure it's not enabled on the individual apps as well ie battery saving.
Once you understand Samsung's ecosystem and the work arounds, it's a cake walk😎

Tested on both the Pie and Q Snapdragon variants... it works Aok. Deal with power hogs on a case by case basis, the shotgun approach doesn't work very well🤣

View attachment 5467203

Sorry for the derail...
Getting back to the Pixel battery issue, before you try anything, clear the system cache.
It cures many strange erratic behavior problems many times... like magic.
You can't clear system cache on a pixel, at least to my knowledge.

Reactions: blackhawk

Alekos

interesting little unscientific test...

I'm getting great battery life but I also like to mess around ...so... I disabled google assistant from default apps, (turned off google assistant & hey google) and the now playing feature. I then cleared the "Health Services" information, and tested a 24hr period mostly on mobile connection and mobility went down to 14%. the next day, did the opposite (enabled assistant on the home screen and google assitant/hey google) and stayed on mobile most of the 24hr period, and mobility standby went up to 29%. it's interesting to say the least (but there were a few services updated in the playstore like carrier and device health services). I usually don't really use assistant so most of the time its disabled (but I've been playing around with it) but I do use voice to text everyday.
- just to add, I also keep "enable 2g" disabled but had it enabled when mobility standby was at 29%. AOD has always been off, and adaptive settings are default

you can also manage the space for adaptive services (and auto brightness) in All Apps, Device Health Services, "manage space" : there's a special unique section to clear out both, which is interesting..

edit --- so today I used my phone like I usually do, with Assistant & now playing off. but kept the "2G" option enabled and only spent 4hrs on mobile data...and mobility was at 27%. wondering if it's this that can maybe cause the high battery usage? I've had it disabled previous along with GA before this test and mobility was usually at 9-14% so interesting to say the least/

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
As others have pointed out, adaptive charging is supposed to slow the charging down so it hits 100% within the hour of your alarm to wake up. You can actually see it say adaptive charging on the always on display at the bottom of it's engaged. But not hitting 100% isn't what it's supposed to do. What charger are you using with it?
So here's my phone with adaptive battery on the whole time since I got it, October 29th, up to the morning of November 22nd.
Screenshot_20211122-052926.png

And here's my phone with adaptive battery off for the last 7 days.
Screenshot_20211129-053834.png

I would say my results are kind of inconclusive. I technically got more screen on time and screen off time with adaptive battery on yet my combined use was more with adaptive battery off. That being said, I'll still leave adaptive battery on as I don't notice a performance difference between the two and I have had a combined use near 17 hours with it on too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Az Biker

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
I've had the phone for about 2 weeks. The battery life is horrible.
I leave the phone charging over night and sometimes it stops charging all together. Last night I went to bed with 100% charge. Left phone laying on night stand. Woke up to 70% battery after 8 hours of doing nothing. Mobile network standby used 42% of my battery drain. What is going on with this phone? Should I get a warranty claim replacement?
I've experienced really good battery life.

Regularly getting between 6-8 hrs sot daily.

No special settings, pretty much everything is on.

Charging the P6P is def faster than my Pixel 5 using USB C to C charger.

I'll fully charge prior to going to bed tonight and see what my overnight drain is for comparison.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-233240.png
    Screenshot_20211127-233240.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Novakingwai

Mar 10, 2013
Turning off Adaptive battery and Adaptive charging helped. However, still getting a replacement phone. I get no signal pretty much any where. Thought maybe it was because Tmobile network. After a few days of troubleshooting the phone and getting new sim card and esim, I literally get 1mbps downloads if any connection at all. On Pixel Reddit many others are saying their P6P is getting no data, seems to be a modem issue?

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Turning off Adaptive battery and Adaptive charging helped. However, still getting a replacement phone. I get no signal pretty much any where. Thought maybe it was because Tmobile network. After a few days of troubleshooting the phone and getting new sim card and esim, I literally get 1mbps downloads if any connection at all. On Pixel Reddit many others are saying their P6P is getting no data, seems to be a modem issue?
Tmo here. Miami. 5G everywhere. I have no issues. But I do get less signal with the 6 pro than with the s21 ultra idk. At least that's how it feels. Haven't seen the actual numbers though..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm beginning to think these are trolls because so far my p6 pro is a powerhouse.
    You got me. Been a member of XDA since 2013 and I decided to pick 2021 to start trolling.
    I've had the phone for about 2 weeks. The battery life is horrible. I leave the phone charging over night and sometimes it stops charging all together. Last night I went to bed with 100% charge. Left phone laying on night stand. Woke up to 70% battery after 8 hours of doing nothing. Mobile network standby used 42% of my battery drain. What is going on with this phone? Should I get a warranty claim replacement?

edit: 11/30 Turning off Adaptive battery and Adaptive charging helped. However, still getting a replacement phone. I get no signal pretty much any where. Thought maybe it was because Tmobile network. After a few days of troubleshooting the phone and getting new sim card and esim, I literally get 1mbps downloads if any connection at all. On Pixel Reddit many others are saying their P6P is getting no data, seems to be a modem issue?
    Factory reset and when ask to transfer data from another phone. Don't. You may have a rogue app.

I also have a high usage on "Mobile Network Service" but doesn't seem to affect my battery much. My overnights drain on my P6P are 5% max.
    Battery charging is slow but my P6P has phenomenal battery. Set it up from scratch like I always do with a new phone.
    My battery life has been abysmal. It's quite distressing, really. I only got 3hrs 10 minutes of SOT yesterday. Lights to moderate use; no video recording, no photo editing or picture taking, only some browsing on Facebook, Instagram and talking on Facebook messenger and Instagram chats.I wouldn't mind the "slow" charging (since i charge while i sleep) but combined with such a low SOT, it is really insane for a 2021 $1000+ (Canadian) flagship.

(Image proof since people here are throwing around accusations of trolling, lying etc. How sad are you to think that we have nothing better to do with our lives than make "yet another Pixel bitching post" .. )
    Please use elevated gsam for better stats so people can help rather than posting a screenshot that doesn't actually show anything useful to help with.