• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Horrible battery and slow charging on Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

Gerr1985

Feb 12, 2010
Chicago
My last Samsung was a SGS7, so its been a bit. Samsung has always been ones to put in stuff first, and some of it sticks and some of it doesn't. I don't know if I'll ever go back, since I enjoy the smoothness and feel of the stock Android too much. The Samsung UI just drove me nuts, but I'm sure its improved since. I just upgraded from a Oneplus 7 pro to the Pixel 6 pro. In some ways, its a big upgrade, and in some if just feels the same. I haven't been able to see much of a difference of 120hz vs 90hz on the OP7P. Prior to the SGS7, I had a Note 4, and I LOVED that phone. If I ever go back to Samsung, it would probably be for a Note series.

For the battery stuff. On Unlocked P6P, on Tmobile. I don't have a ton of things on my phone, but I do have all of the bells n whistle's running from the Pixel:
- AOD features, now playing, assistant, all that. I also have a Bluetooth smartwatch that is always on and connected. I lose about 1.3% per hour when screen is off. According to Accubattery pro. I think 1.3% discharge every hour, with all of that on, is absolutely great. Might even still get better since I've only had the phone since Sunday. (4 days)
I have adaptive charging off, but adaptive battery on.

Unrelated to discharge, here are some charging stats I've been monitoring...

The most I can get on wired charging is 3,500 mA @ 3.95 V, or just roughly 15W charging. I'm using usb c PD 20W/30W/45W adapters I have lying around, and they all push that for the max. Most are Anker brand, and I don't have Google charger to test anything with. I typically see the voltage in the 3.7-4V range, but occasionally it'll go above 4V (4.4V is the highest I've seen it get). My OnePlus 7P had zero issues going above 4V, but using the same chargers I can't seem to get it above 1,000 mA @ 4.5V, so that is very interesting and something I'll research more later. I still have the 30W charger from OP, but I can't find that cable that went with it... and it doesn't make a difference in the speeds. So yea, oddly my P6P is charging faster than my OP7P, which I did not think would be the case. I usually only charge at nights so I guess I've never really paid much attention to charging in general. Oh, and I factory reset my OP7P, so its got absolutely no apps outside of stock and Accubattery for the testing.

Wireless charging has been an adventure. I've tried multiple chargers, but the most I'm getting is 10W on them. Really hoped to at least get to 15W, but I'm giving up on that. They do a decent job at 2,000 ma @ 3.95 V, averaging around 8W, with some spikes toward the 10W mark. Charges to full in 2.5 (ish) hours with adaptive charging off. The only way I'll stomach paying what Google wants for their wireless charger is if I get enough credit on the Google store, via the Google One 10% back membership, to buy it that way. I also wish they sold it in black.

Final thought, and maybe its just me...
I feel there has been a lot of posts and hype around the P6P charging in general. Prior to this phone, I absolutely never cared or looked at charging stats. I'd charge at night, and then it'd be full and last me the day with some juice left. I didn't really care. That is going to be the case still, but I think I'm being pulled into the "Google isn't pushing what they said the phone could do!" thoughts a bit too much. Seems that most phones (or really anything with a battery), need to hit all the perfect conditions to do what is shown in the spec sheets. This could be temperature, proprietary chargers, etc. Google isn't the first or only company to do this, yet we get those pitch forks out pretty quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Novakingwai

Mar 10, 2013
Tmo here. Miami. 5G everywhere. I have no issues. But I do get less signal with the 6 pro than with the s21 ultra idk. At least that's how it feels. Haven't seen the actual numbers though..

A lot of people on the GooglePixel reddit are saying they have slower speeds. Apparently they are using a lower end modem to cut costs.

But my issue was like what others also said on the reddit. The 6 Pro seems to have bad modems. I was getting literally 1 bar or a signal bar with an ! at the end. I took my S20+ and the 6 Pro side by side around town. Switched the sims back and forth. The S20+ would get 200-300 downloads while the 6 Pro was getting 1-10 max. And it was pretty much getting no signal while driving. When I tried to place a call I would get a "server unreachable' message. I spent several days troubleshooting. I reset the phone without transferring data from my old one, got a new sim, got an e sim, turned off adaptive battery, off adaptive network, tried going into a custom menu by dialilng *#*#4636#*#* (or whatever it was) and forcing different bands. The phone just seemed to have a bad modem on arrival.

• Wow

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
A lot of people on the GooglePixel reddit are saying they have slower speeds. Apparently they are using a lower end modem to cut costs.

But my issue was like what others also said on the reddit. The 6 Pro seems to have bad modems. I was getting literally 1 bar or a signal bar with an ! at the end. I took my S20+ and the 6 Pro side by side around town. Switched the sims back and forth. The S20+ would get 200-300 downloads while the 6 Pro was getting 1-10 max. And it was pretty much getting no signal while driving. When I tried to place a call I would get a "server unreachable' message. I spent several days troubleshooting. I reset the phone without transferring data from my old one, got a new sim, got an e sim, turned off adaptive battery, off adaptive network, tried going into a custom menu by dialilng *#*#4636#*#* (or whatever it was) and forcing different bands. The phone just seemed to have a bad modem on arrival.
yeah you might have a defective unit..

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Wireless charging has been an adventure. I've tried multiple chargers, but the most I'm getting is 10W on them. Really hoped to at least get to 15W, but I'm giving up on that. They do a decent job at 2,000 ma @ 3.95 V, averaging around 8W, with some spikes toward the 10W mark. Charges to full in 2.5 (ish) hours with adaptive charging off. The only way I'll stomach paying what Google wants for their wireless charger is if I get enough credit on the Google store, via the Google One 10% back membership, to buy it that way. I also wish they sold it in black.
The most you'd ever get out of a Qi wireless charger (anything other than Google's 2nd gen wireless charger) is 12W.

See here: https://9to5google.com/2021/10/19/pixel-6-tidbits-plastic-top-wireless-charging/

Gerr1985

Feb 12, 2010
Chicago
The most you'd ever get out of a Qi wireless charger (anything other than Google's 2nd gen wireless charger) is 12W.

See here: https://9to5google.com/2021/10/19/pixel-6-tidbits-plastic-top-wireless-charging/
Ah, ty for sharing. Always something... and now I've got a surplus of random wireless chargers from Amazon (and 2 from Costco). Still seems to be ok for what I'm doing, and I can always plug-in for quicker juicing. Luckily use cases where I need to top off SUPER quickly is minimal.

Reactions: bouchigo

pharazonic

Dec 1, 2021
My battery life has been abysmal. It's quite distressing, really. I only got 3hrs 10 minutes of SOT yesterday. Lights to moderate use; no video recording, no photo editing or picture taking, only some browsing on Facebook, Instagram and talking on Facebook messenger and Instagram chats.I wouldn't mind the "slow" charging (since i charge while i sleep) but combined with such a low SOT, it is really insane for a 2021 $1000+ (Canadian) flagship.

(Image proof since people here are throwing around accusations of trolling, lying etc. How sad are you to think that we have nothing better to do with our lives than make "yet another Pixel bitching post" .. )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211201-220309.png
    Screenshot_20211201-220309.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 100

Gerr1985

Feb 12, 2010
Chicago
My battery life has been abysmal. It's quite distressing, really. I only got 3hrs 10 minutes of SOT yesterday. Lights to moderate use; no video recording, no photo editing or picture taking, only some browsing on Facebook, Instagram and talking on Facebook messenger and Instagram chats.I wouldn't mind the "slow" charging (since i charge while i sleep) but combined with such a low SOT, it is really insane for a 2021 $1000+ (Canadian) flagship.

(Image proof since people here are throwing around accusations of trolling, lying etc. How sad are you to think that we have nothing better to do with our lives than make "yet another Pixel bitching post" .. )
If you tap that time frame in Accubattery, what does it say used up the battery? Any rouge apps perhaps?
The system battery usage area will show you system apps that might be eating up as well, if not shown in Accu

Last edited:
Reactions: EeZeEpEe

spr33

Jan 10, 2007
Staffordshire

Please use elevated gsam for better stats so people can help rather than posting a screenshot that doesn't actually show anything useful to help with.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Yeah I've had the same off the charger time but double the SOT.

The Samsung series is known to use aggressive battery management and app killing to get it's battery life.

You should notice it also automatically puts apps to sleep as well without asking so important stuff ends up being force slept.

It's already reported the pixel actually gets faster notifications because it's doesn't do this .

Also 1 hour less Vs a device with a newer modem and aggressive power saving profile isn't much. You could probably even that out on pixel with some adjusting the autobrightness etc.

Also why would you get a pixel 6 pro if you have an s21 ultra just to have your first post be complaining it's worse.

Also hasn't the s21 had a bunch of updates now.
I heard the oneui 4.0 android 12 update was a buggy mess
i must agree with

Mackmiller974 hees right in that ...iam not fan of any brand so i dont care ... i used huawei (best experience by the way i wil choose mate 40 pro/pro plus over all those phones if not missing google),samsung,sony, and now from s21 ultra came to pixel 6 pro witch i heard so much about, and in charging,battery life , brightnes, and 3 more things is phone definetli whorst experience then s21 ultra but few things also good so iam staing and waiting for some update i hope this is not what google ment to bring ...​

AKN_92

Dec 14, 2021
My last Samsung was a SGS7, so its been a bit. Samsung has always been ones to put in stuff first, and some of it sticks and some of it doesn't. I don't know if I'll ever go back, since I enjoy the smoothness and feel of the stock Android too much. The Samsung UI just drove me nuts, but I'm sure its improved since. I just upgraded from a Oneplus 7 pro to the Pixel 6 pro. In some ways, its a big upgrade, and in some if just feels the same. I haven't been able to see much of a difference of 120hz vs 90hz on the OP7P. Prior to the SGS7, I had a Note 4, and I LOVED that phone. If I ever go back to Samsung, it would probably be for a Note series.

For the battery stuff. On Unlocked P6P, on Tmobile. I don't have a ton of things on my phone, but I do have all of the bells n whistle's running from the Pixel:
- AOD features, now playing, assistant, all that. I also have a Bluetooth smartwatch that is always on and connected. I lose about 1.3% per hour when screen is off. According to Accubattery pro. I think 1.3% discharge every hour, with all of that on, is absolutely great. Might even still get better since I've only had the phone since Sunday. (4 days)
I have adaptive charging off, but adaptive battery on.

Unrelated to discharge, here are some charging stats I've been monitoring...

The most I can get on wired charging is 3,500 mA @ 3.95 V, or just roughly 15W charging. I'm using usb c PD 20W/30W/45W adapters I have lying around, and they all push that for the max. Most are Anker brand, and I don't have Google charger to test anything with. I typically see the voltage in the 3.7-4V range, but occasionally it'll go above 4V (4.4V is the highest I've seen it get). My OnePlus 7P had zero issues going above 4V, but using the same chargers I can't seem to get it above 1,000 mA @ 4.5V, so that is very interesting and something I'll research more later. I still have the 30W charger from OP, but I can't find that cable that went with it... and it doesn't make a difference in the speeds. So yea, oddly my P6P is charging faster than my OP7P, which I did not think would be the case. I usually only charge at nights so I guess I've never really paid much attention to charging in general. Oh, and I factory reset my OP7P, so its got absolutely no apps outside of stock and Accubattery for the testing.

Final thought, and maybe its just me...
I feel there has been a lot of posts and hype around the P6P charging in general. Prior to this phone, I absolutely never cared or looked at charging stats. I'd charge at night, and then it'd be full and last me the day with some juice left. I didn't really care. That is going to be the case still, but I think I'm being pulled into the "Google isn't pushing what they said the phone could do!" thoughts a bit too much. Seems that most phones (or really anything with a battery), need to hit all the perfect conditions to do what is shown in the spec sheets. This could be temperature, proprietary chargers, etc. Google isn't the first or only company to do this, yet we get those pitch forks out pretty quick.

Can you post what with GSAM or Accubattery of your daily usage? I'm also tmobile and also use a smartwatch like you. Want to see what your battery life is like? My P6P battery life has been pretty poor, like 4-5 hours of SOT.

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
My battery life has been abysmal. It's quite distressing, really. I only got 3hrs 10 minutes of SOT yesterday.
Lights to moderate use; no video recording, no photo editing or picture taking, only some browsing on Facebook, Instagram and talking on Facebook messenger and Instagram chats.I wouldn't mind the "slow" charging (since i charge while i sleep) but combined with such a low SOT, it is really insane for a 2021 $1000+ (Canadian) flagship.

3 hrs SOT? You def have something going on (wake locks, apps running in background, etc.)

I have regularly gotten really good batt life and the only thing I turned off is wifi-scanning.

GPS, BT, wifi, 5G, AOD, and everything else is on/active, with pretty much same usage as you claimed. I'm on VZW, not T-Mo.

Rooted, Despair kernel v1.03 (I'm so lazy), November .36 update

Screenshot_20211127-233240.png

Last edited:

Gerr1985

Feb 12, 2010
Chicago
Can you post what with GSAM or Accubattery of your daily usage? I'm also tmobile and also use a smartwatch like you. Want to see what your battery life is like? My P6P battery life has been pretty poor, like 4-5 hours of SOT.
I use paid accubattery.

My recent SOT was 7.5 hours and I went from 100% to 12%. It was almost fully browser based videos. Less stress than gaming for example. This is with always on display and always connected smartwatch. Oh and running work profile for Microsoft teams/outlook

AKN_92

Dec 14, 2021
I use paid accubattery.

My recent SOT was 7.5 hours and I went from 100% to 12%. It was almost fully browser based videos. Less stress than gaming for example. This is with always on display and always connected smartwatch. Oh and running work profile for Microsoft teams/outlook

Yea, I'm not getting anywhere near that SOT. I don't even really play games on my phone. Can I ask if you're on Wifi or data most of the day? If I'm on wifi mostly, my battery is decent. But on most workdays I have to be on data for most of the day and that just seems to kill battery life. What percentage does Mobile Network Standby take under your Battery Usage? Mines is like 20-30 percent most of the time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm beginning to think these are trolls because so far my p6 pro is a powerhouse.
    You got me. Been a member of XDA since 2013 and I decided to pick 2021 to start trolling.
    I've had the phone for about 2 weeks. The battery life is horrible. I leave the phone charging over night and sometimes it stops charging all together. Last night I went to bed with 100% charge. Left phone laying on night stand. Woke up to 70% battery after 8 hours of doing nothing. Mobile network standby used 42% of my battery drain. What is going on with this phone? Should I get a warranty claim replacement?

edit: 11/30 Turning off Adaptive battery and Adaptive charging helped. However, still getting a replacement phone. I get no signal pretty much any where. Thought maybe it was because Tmobile network. After a few days of troubleshooting the phone and getting new sim card and esim, I literally get 1mbps downloads if any connection at all. On Pixel Reddit many others are saying their P6P is getting no data, seems to be a modem issue?
    Factory reset and when ask to transfer data from another phone. Don't. You may have a rogue app.

I also have a high usage on "Mobile Network Service" but doesn't seem to affect my battery much. My overnights drain on my P6P are 5% max.
    Battery charging is slow but my P6P has phenomenal battery. Set it up from scratch like I always do with a new phone.

Please use elevated gsam for better stats so people can help rather than posting a screenshot that doesn't actually show anything useful to help with.