General Horrible battery life fix

Search This thread

nighthawk626

Jan 30, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
To everyone that's been having horrible battery life on this phone and people didn't believe it, I've found the problem. Not sure what cheap parts they used but the 5g is the problem. I disabled my 5g and I was able to to go from 6 hours 100% -30% to 10 hours 100% - 30% with the same use. If you want to save more battery, just leave battery saver on. Disable the extreme battery saver though.
I've found that I'm able to use the phone for the whole day with little loss to function this way. Good luck to you all.

Reactions: BobikH

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I disabled my 5g and I was able to to go from 6 hours 100% -30% to 10 hours 100% - 30% with the same use. If you want to save more battery, just leave battery saver on. Disable the extreme battery saver though.
That's the general consent of this forum and has always been the primary advice for people with battery life. problems. In like... 15 threads. But of course it's nice to see that you managed to improve your battery life.

To everyone that's been having horrible battery life on this phone and people didn't believe it, I've found the problem. Not sure what cheap parts they used but the 5g is the problem. I disabled my 5g and I was able to to go from 6 hours 100% -30% to 10 hours 100% - 30% with the same use. If you want to save more battery, just leave battery saver on. Disable the extreme battery saver though.
I've found that I'm able to use the phone for the whole day with little loss to function this way. Good luck to you all.
How did you disable 5G?

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Why not just go to settings and select 4g as preferred? Doesn't that disable 5g?
some carriers don't allow you to do that (Fi, maybe AT&T, some in the EU etc etc)
just be careful using that dial code. I recommend anyone going into that setting, take a screenshot of the default "Network type" each carrier/region/country uses a different setting. there's like 19 different ones. you won't hurt your phone but it might cause a headache.

nighthawk626

Jan 30, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Talking of battery I was told this P6P has an adaptive display like the iphone 13 pro which would go down to 10hz but when I activated the on screen display it only went down to 60 which is the same as the S21 Ultra so another Google lie
It's very clear by now that Google outright lied about a bunch of stuff to sell this phone. Using cheap parts to sell a premium phone. The software improvements don't mean sh*t if the hardware got worse. Especially battery life and signal strength and consistency

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Talking of battery I was told this P6P has an adaptive display like the iphone 13 pro which would go down to 10hz but when I activated the on screen display it only went down to 60 which is the same as the S21 Ultra so another Google lie
From what I understand, the screen display (from developer options) uses SurfaceFlinger to show refresh rate but SurfaceFlinger can't show/detect anything below 60Hz. Anything below that can only be shown/detected by the display controller. So the screen display will only show as low as 60Hz even if it's at 10Hz.

some carriers don't allow you to do that (Fi, maybe AT&T, some in the EU etc etc)
just be careful using that dial code. I recommend anyone going into that setting, take a screenshot of the default "Network type" each carrier/region/country uses a different setting. there's like 19 different ones. you won't hurt your phone but it might cause a headache.
Fi allows you to disable 5g, but you have to be in "Safe Mode" to do it.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Fi allows you to disable 5g, but you have to be in "Safe Mode" to do it.
i didn't elaborate. some carriers allow the change in normal mode, others in safe mode and some only in the dialer menu... and rarely, some in the EU don't even allow the change in the dialer menu to stay.

anyway, disabling Wifi Calling helped idle drain for me but it was only a 2 night test. went from 1.4% /hr drain to 0.3% when idle. that's a lot. too bad I need the feature.

Last edited:

lemonspeakerz

Nov 8, 2021
i didn't elaborate. some carriers allow the change in normal mode, others in safe mode and some only in the dialer menu... and rarely, some in the EU don't even allow the change in the dialer menu to stay.

anyway, disabling Wifi Calling really changes battery life wow. went from 1.4% /hr drain to 0.3% when idle. that's a lot. too bad I need the feature.
Tell me why I would not want to disable Wi-Fi calling. I have been using it by default but I'm not sure if I'm benefiting it from it at all. So if it's draining my battery I would love to disable it. At the moment my battery is not stellar, but it could be much better since it's such a large battery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't forget to leave your display turned off, that freakin' bug needs to be solved asap!!1
    I disabled my 5g and I was able to to go from 6 hours 100% -30% to 10 hours 100% - 30% with the same use. If you want to save more battery, just leave battery saver on. Disable the extreme battery saver though.
    That's the general consent of this forum and has always been the primary advice for people with battery life. problems. In like... 15 threads. But of course it's nice to see that you managed to improve your battery life.
    Let's see if the January update manages to improve that modem with some software updates. Buut you really can't fix bad hardware with software. Lots of the reviewers also mentioned they had no issues with battery drain which is pretty much a lie at this point.
    Excuse me. Please do not accuse others who have no problem with battery drain of lying. I do not claim that anyone who is having a problem doesn't, and you shouldn't be claiming that those who aren't having a problem actually are.
    This is true, there are several factors. I feel like most people use the phones as they get them out the box with all features default enabled by Google. I wish some of the reviews would have broken down their usage patterns and settings so at least there is some baseline. Some people do this, but its hard to get a good feel of that baseline.

Reminds me of Digital Foundry and how they break down performance for certain video games on PC vs Console or Gamer's nexus where they get into details of comparisons but who am I kidding, no one will do that for phones!
    That's actually one of the greatest problems that tech reviewers quite can't handle. All those GPU tests and CPU tests on barebone testbenches with perfect airflow and cherrypicked chips... worthless. We need tests that showcase real world usage, meaning I want a benchmark where in the background

a) Steam is doing an update
    b) Discord is running with a videocall
    c) Displayfusion, XBOX, Nvidia Broadcast, Onedrive, GHub for Microfone etc. (just examples) are running in the background
    d) ofc you also have a browser with 60 tabs on a second monitor
    e) the products were bought off shelf, meaning no cherrypicking
    f) put the darn PC in a box/"case" BELOW the table, right in between some other stuff, partially suffocating and gasping for fresh air
    e) et cetera, get creative

And THEN benchmark Battlefield, or Cyberpunk, or whatever. 'Cuz that will be the FPS that people can get real-world. Not those cherry picked test-bench scenarios.
    I have noticed improved battery life by disabling smooth display.
    Doing so sets your display at 60 all the time.
    the constant thrashing between 60-120 was killing my battery.
    I expect this will be resolved in future updates