• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Horrible experience with Oneplus after sales support

Search This thread

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Want has nothing to do with it. It's not help either. It's a contractual obligation. Those higher standards in the EU you keep mentioning include regulations related to financial transactions and consumer protection. When you pay for a service that also offers warranty, that warranty is part of the product's price. Honoring that warranty isn't optional, in fact not honoring it is illegal. The only reason they did this is that they know that a lawsuit would cost many times more than the phone itself, so most people don't bother.

Constantly trying to change the subject to the origin of the phone is just gashlighting at this point. I was not the one that broke the law and it's not illegal to own a Chinese phone. If Oneplus EU had an issue with that, they could simply deny repairing it, which they absolutely didn't.

The reason was clearly stated. I was reassured by Oneplus EU that the new display would come with its own warranty and i believed they would honor it since as you say, the West has strong standards and such.

Name calling followed by bailing out, classy. No one forces you to participate mate, but if you are not ready for replies that don't agree with your opinions, maybe you should not post them publicly.
Yep ok mate. Let's leave it there shall we. It's over, your don't even have an 8 pro anymore.

Let the thread die.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I thought because of their relationship with Cyanogenmod their treat would be better.

Sorry for your experience, pal

Yea i agree with you mate, that was the inital push from XDA and the chaps behind cyanogen mod, the fact that they partnered to make the OS was a huge win for the community, everybody was behind it and it was a great time, then they released the 1+1 and no one could get it, then the OS sort of changed, then i'm not sure what happened, but i think the chaps involved initially left or were moved on, tbh mate it's a chinese company, they do this a lot, they'll welcome people in then copy what they want and then move on to something else.

I'm only learning all this about China for the first time and it's quite sickening tbh, theres no such thing as moderation or save until tomorrow in china, if it's in front of you then use it / eat it / consume it / copy it, preserving things doesn't come into the equation.

Lol look at Huawei, they partnered up with XDA when they were a pitiful company, they released turd after turd, they were basically the phone that people gave their kids to keep them quiet and even the kids hated them, then the p9 i think it was, then the 10 and then come the 20 and 20 pro, they then pulled the ability to unlock the bootloader, think i may be going pixel for my next phone, hope their new CPU works on par with a snapdragon.

Cyanogen mod isn't the same as it once was, tbh Android isn't.

Wow i've written a paragraph, :) rant over.

PS: Check out this guy on YT, he lives there and knows china well, quite scary stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: alojo

dlhxr

May 26, 2011
New York City
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
Yea i agree with you mate, that was the inital push from XDA and the chaps behind cyanogen mod, the fact that they partnered to make the OS was a huge win for the community, everybody was behind it and it was a great time, then they released the 1+1 and no one could get it, then the OS sort of changed, then i'm not sure what happened, but i think the chaps involved initially left or were moved on, tbh mate it's a chinese company, they do this a lot, they'll welcome people in then copy what they want and then move on to something else.

I'm only learning all this about China for the first time and it's quite sickening tbh, theres no such thing as moderation or save until tomorrow in china, if it's in front of you then use it / eat it / consume it / copy it, preserving things doesn't come into the equation.

Lol look at Huawei, they partnered up with XDA when they were a pitiful company, they released turd after turd, they were basically the phone that people gave their kids to keep them quiet and even the kids hated them, then the p9 i think it was, then the 10 and then come the 20 and 20 pro, they then pulled the ability to unlock the bootloader, think i may be going pixel for my next phone, hope their new CPU works on par with a snapdragon.

Cyanogen mod isn't the same as it once was, tbh Android isn't.

Wow i've written a paragraph, :) rant over.

PS: Check out this guy on YT, he lives there and knows china well, quite scary stuff.

Hey, man. Let's keep it simple and focus on the issue itself. After reading the full post, I'd like to say similar things would happen as well if you buy a EU/US variant and want to get service in China. So for all who don't want to run into similar issues, buy at your local authorized retailer or from the official site.

And as a Chinese living in China for over 20 years and now in US, I'd say the YT you referred is mostly untrue. Just saw several clips of his video. Welcome to China when pandemic ends to see by yourself, it will definitely shock you from what you see in western worlds.

Last, if you can remove the channel link, I will appreciate as we'd better not to spread false statement and also keep the technical forum clean to tech. Thanks!

Reactions: alojo

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Hey, man. Let's keep it simple and focus on the issue itself. After reading the full post, I'd like to say similar things would happen as well if you buy a EU/US variant and want to get service in China. So for all who don't want to run into similar issues, buy at your local authorized retailer or from the official site.

And as a Chinese living in China for over 20 years and now in US, I'd say the YT you referred is mostly untrue. Just saw several clips of his video. Welcome to China when pandemic ends to see by yourself, it will definitely shock you from what you see in western worlds.

Last, if you can remove the channel link, I will appreciate as we'd better not to spread false statement and also keep the technical forum clean to tech. Thanks!
Each to their own, that guys lived there for years. I have my opinions and you'll have yours, you have to admit that their tactics and lack of ethics is ridiculous.

Sorry but I'll absolutely disagree with you on this.. China's going to invade Taiwan lol, they're building military bases in the South China sea? It's not even theirs.

Get real.

dlhxr

May 26, 2011
New York City
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
Each to their own, that guys lived there for years. I have my opinions and you'll have yours, you have to admit that their tactics and lack of ethics is ridiculous.

Sorry but I'll absolutely disagree with you on this.. China's going to invade Taiwan lol, they're building military bases in the South China sea? It's not even theirs.

Get real.
I do not agree with you, but I will keep the forum clean, not arguing back. Let's keep our own opinions and we will see.

jerryhou85

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Knock knock, coming through, this is a moderator information...

Glad to see that everyone has a great discussion on this topic, but I have to remind everyone to stay on topic during any discussion. We do not want an open discussion to become a train wreck scene. Hence, from this post onward, off topic posts would be removed without notice by moderators.

Hope everyone has a good time here. :)

Jerry
Forum Moderator

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My story begins with what was admittedly my own mistake. I wanted to order an Oneplus 8 pro for me and a Oneplus 8 for my sister, but her preferred color was only in stock at Bangood at the moment of the order around the beginning of May. My recollection at the time was that back when i got my Oneplus 7 Pro, around two years ago, Oneplus EU (i live in the EU) did offer warranty services to international devices, so stupidly, instead of checking what the current status is, i went ahead and ordered both phones from Banggood.

As Merphy's law dictates, my unit came with red tinting as well as intense clouding on the bottom half of the screen. I had assumed that Oneplus would have solved the display issues by now but once again i was wrong. Here is the red tint:

And here is the clouding:

clouding.jpg

So i contacted Oneplus support and i described my issue, not neglecting to mention that the device was Chinese. The employee was reassuring, telling me that it's covered by warranty and as long as the motherboard isn't damaged, the service center will replace the defective part at no additional cost. I proceeded to open a ticket and sent my Oneplus 8 Pro to the Oneplus service center for repair. Soon after, i received an unexpected email, asking me to wire 290 euros for the repair to proceed. I contacted support again and they told me that the previous employee was in error, and that the warranty policy of Oneplus had changed and did not cover Chinese devices anymore. I was not at all happy to hear this, but a simple visit to the Oneplus warranty page confirmed that this was indeed the case. So i asked my device to be sent back in order to think on my options.

The manufacturer's service center had verified that the display was defective and the phone was less than a month old. So i could pursue a full refund either via Paypal, or directly though Bangood. As this is a fairly lengthy and bureaucratic process, i thought that i might pursue an alternative via Oneplus. I would pay for the repair, as long as the new part was under warranty since Oneplus 8 screens seem to have a very high defect ration. Oneplus confirmed that this is the case not once, but twice, so i decided to trust them.

Big mistake. While the replacement screen was free of clouding and tinting, it had this dark bar that could only be seen in very low brightness:

burn_in.jpg

Since i often use my phone in total darkness, that was a deal breaker for me, so i contacted support again to request for another repair. My phone reached the service center, but the days were passing by without a single notice from them. I contacted support to inquire about the status of the repair and they informed me that i would soon receive an email with a quote for the repair. I promptly explained that the display had just been replaced, thus was under warranty, providing a screenshot of the assurances i had received concerning this, along with the number of the previous repair ticket.

oneplus_screen_nonames.png

To make a long story a little shorter, Oneplus now claims that my motherboard is also defective and i need to pay them around 390 more euros (the cost of the motherboard including VAT) in order to get a replacement. So, they are effectively asking me to pay a total sum of 680 euros, approximately the cost of a new device in order to replace a phone that was either:

a) Shipped with a defective display and a defective motherboard, meaning that Oneplus quality controls lets them sell expensive paperweights. It also means that their service center failed to notice the motherboard issue the first two times it examined the phone. I guess 3 times is the charm.

b) Damaged during the screen replacement. The Oneplus service center was the only one that had access to the insides of the phone.

c) Or most probably, the phone is totally fine, expect for the replacement display that is clearly defective, but Oneplus is unwilling to honor its warranty and is seeking ways to charge me for the replacement. Interestingly, Oneplus claims that both the display and the motherboard need to be replaced.

Now logic dictates, that the culprit must be either the signal (motherboard) or the display, but not both. But since i cannot disprove the veracity of Oneplus' claims i decided to ask for the replacement of the screen alone, since it is supposedly covered under warranty, but Oneplus refused, stating that they can't do partial repairs, which is a ridiculous claim. So i guess if you guys have cracked screens or any other issue with your phones, do not send them to Oneplus for battery replacement unless you want to be blackmailed to paying for replacement parts for everything that isn't in pristine condition.

In conclusion, trusting Oneplus costed me the ability to be able to claim a full refund, which i no longer can do since the device has been repaired. My phone has spent more time on a Oneplus bench than in my possession and it still has a defective display despite me paying for it to be fixed. Ironically, i've also wasted countless hours in mostly worthless debates with Oneplus support. This is without a doubt the worst experience i've ever had with a corporation's after sales support in my life and i aint young anymore. I do not care so much about the monetary aspect of this, but the opportunism and dismissiveness OnePlus shows towards its own clients is infuriating. I did not want to litter this thread with more screenshots, but the email correspondence between me and Oneplus support is quite telling.
    Knock knock, coming through, this is a moderator information...

Glad to see that everyone has a great discussion on this topic, but I have to remind everyone to stay on topic during any discussion. We do not want an open discussion to become a train wreck scene. Hence, from this post onward, off topic posts would be removed without notice by moderators.

Hope everyone has a good time here. :)

Jerry
    Forum Moderator
    That is some post there lol.
    Yeah, Oneplus has ****ty customer support something I tested before buying Samsung cause I didn't wanna second guess it.
    My guess check the rating customer support before looking to buy a new phone.
    Not only oneplus, every company is like that. Samsung, xiaomi, even apple. They dont care what your problem is unless you pay even if it is not your fault.

Welcome to the world darling

There is always at least one apologist willing to use this false equivalence, congratulations on being the first!

Now darling, listen to this. I have been buying flagship smartphones from the time that Nokia introduced them in early 2000 and as you can imagine, some of them did develop issues while under warranty. I've experienced after sales support from Nokia, Samsung, Sony, LG, Xiaomi and others. Not one of them has ever denied repairing something that is under warranty. In fact, if we go outside smartphones for a moment, LG replaced an old OLED TV of mine that had damaged electronics free of charge with their new current flagship, despite the fact that the warranty had expired two months earlier.

So yes, big corporations only care about making money. But in that vein, they do have to protect their brand name image as much as they can, since it brings them more customers, and reliable after sales support is a big part of that. That's why when a huge corporation like Oppo bends us over instead of honoring their warranty, we as consumers should make sure that the breach is heard by as many prospective customers as possible instead of glossing it over like you did.
    I'm not hung up on anything. I just know you wouldn't have had these issues if it was bought normally..an EU phone for someone in the EU.

And yes that includes the Chinese variant probably being built to worse standards than the EU / global devices, China allows buildings to be lived in that are falling down! You bought a phone intended for use in that country and it has an issue? Shocker.

You're always going to have problems with an out of region device, you've experienced some of these issues, why on earth would the EU region accept the loss when they have better standards, why do you think they stopped honouring Chinese devices on global warranty?

Like I said you live and you learn..

You probably wont ever buy another out of region device in your life again, that's the learning part.

And I wouldn't blame you.