Hot Pepper Serrano HPP-L55B

Search This thread

fuzzyTew

Jul 20, 2022
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place or wrong format. I want to share with others that I got treble_experimentations running on this phone.

I though this phone was the same as the Logic L55B which has a Unisoc SC9832E, but that seems to be wrong as it contains an MT6739 chipset. It took me a very long time to figure this out, and I didn't find any precise instructions online, despite the final steps not being complicated.

I got this phone very cheaply with the USA Lifeline Affordable Connectivity Program. It came stocked with advertisements and was very unresponsive and glitchy. So, it is gratifying to unlock it and install a community-maintained ROM, as it's possible many people are stuck with it.

I performed these steps. I do not know if they are all necessary
1. i enabled developer mode and OEM unlocking
2. on a system with mtkclient, i ran mtk e metadata,userdata,md_udc and mtk da seccfg unlock as documented at https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-40300.html . i did not need to install any kernel patches or anything. note: mtkclient can also be used to take factory images from the phone, or backup the super partition before flashing.
3. booted phone and ran adb reboot fastboot to get into user-space fastbootd mode. normal fastboot won't flash the logical system partition.
4. downloaded an arm32_binder64-ab image from https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases and extract with xz. i used v415 vanilla.
4b. Optional: If the image was larger than the vanilla image, then space needed to be freed. fastboot delete-logical-partition product accomplished this.
5. wiped old system image with fastboot erase system and flashed new with fastboot flash system imagename.img as documented at https://www.xda-developers.com/flash-generic-system-image-project-treble-device/ . I did not need to touch the secure boot partition nor do anything extra.
6. performed mtk e userdata again to resolve occasional conflicts from booting the phone to reboot into fastbootd

The phone is now super snappy, no ads, very responsive, but of course with the vanilla image one must manually install any apps of interest.

It looks like flashing could also be done via the boot rom by working with the super partition.

It seems really helpful to try connecting phones to tools like mtkclient just in case they happen to speak the same protocol. Additionally there is a lot of information in adb shell getprop and a little in fastboot getvar all, but basically I spent the whole day persistently websearching, looking for similarities and possibilities, and trying things, until I found an avenue that worked.

With the some work contacting Hot Pepper, gpl kernel sources and such could be acquired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stash0369

Stash0369

Aug 16, 2022
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place or wrong format. I want to share with others that I got treble_experimentations running on this phone.

I though this phone was the same as the Logic L55B which has a Unisoc SC9832E, but that seems to be wrong as it contains an MT6739 chipset. It took me a very long time to figure this out, and I didn't find any precise instructions online, despite the final steps not being complicated.

I got this phone very cheaply with the USA Lifeline Affordable Connectivity Program. It came stocked with advertisements and was very unresponsive and glitchy. So, it is gratifying to unlock it and install a community-maintained ROM, as it's possible many people are stuck with it.

2. on a system with mtkclient, i ran mtk e metadata,userdata,md_udc and mtk da seccfg unlock as documented at https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-40300.html . i did not need to install any kernel patches or anything. note: mtkclient can also be used to take factory images from the phone, or backup the super partition before flashing.
3. booted phone and ran adb reboot fastboot to get into user-space fastbootd mode. normal fastboot won't flash the logical system partition.
4. downloaded an arm32_binder64-ab image from https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases and extract with xz. i used v415 vanilla.
4b. Optional: If the image was larger than the vanilla image, then space needed to be freed. fastboot delete-logical-partition product accomplished this.
5. wiped old system image with fastboot erase system and flashed new with fastboot flash system imagename.img as documented at https://www.xda-developers.com/flash-generic-system-image-project-treble-device/ . I did not need to touch the secure boot partition nor do anything extra.
6. performed mtk e userdata again to resolve occasional conflicts from booting the phone to reboot into fastbootd

The phone is now super snappy, no ads, very responsive, but of course with the vanilla image one must manually install any apps of interest.

It looks like flashing could also be done via the boot rom by working with the super partition.

It seems really helpful to try connecting phones to tools like mtkclient just in case they happen to speak the same protocol. Additionally there is a lot of information in adb shell getprop and a little in fastboot getvar all, but basically I spent the whole day persistently websearching, looking for similarities and possibilities, and trying things, until I found avenue that worked.

With the some work contacting Hot Pepper, gpl kernel sources and such could be acquired.
Yes, please continue this work, And if there are any other links Please let me know. Looking for info on the Scepter 8 tablet as well, That would be Awesome. Thank you for your time & efforts.

Zalg

Sep 30, 2022
did you use either magisk or TWRP to flash? Do you know if any other system images are compatible or if uploading a UI theme is necessary? Is it still functional for you now? thnx

Last edited:

fuzzyTew

Jul 20, 2022
I searched for the Scepter 8 and found there is an existing thread covering that device, which also has information on working with Hot Pepper the corporation.
did you use either magisk or TWRP to flash? Do you know if any other system images are compatible or if uploading a UI theme is necessary? Is it still functional for you now? thnx
As I mentioned in the first post, I used just mtkclient and fastboot to flash. I suspect TWRP could be made to work. I don't know much about magisk yet. mtkclient is at https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient . In my opinion the mtkclient code does not sufficiently respect a principle called DRY to maintain it effectively, but at least it is open source and a normative project to communicate with mediatek firmware. mtkclient can be used to extract factory images or flash new partitions, among many other things.

mtkclient speaks a protocol that could possibly work from a phone as well as a desktop. the same is likely true of fastboot. i imagine people have not implemented that yet.

I suspect any treble-based image should work, but I don't really know as I'm new to these things. Making a non-treble image work could mean getting the GPL kernel sources from Hot Pepper which they are legally obligated to provide in their action of distributing a linux-based android phone in the USA.

I don't know what uploading a UI theme is; do other flashing processes require this? I didn't need to do this.

The phone is still working for me but has gotten much slower and glitchier after use; still not as bad as with the factory image, though. I haven't poked at its innards since I made the original post. I suspect it needs a treble_experimentations upgrade by now, or soon, as the revision I am running was a prerelease at the time.

• Love
Reactions: DrScrad and Zalg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I searched for the Scepter 8 and found there is an existing thread covering that device, which also has information on working with Hot Pepper the corporation.
    As I mentioned in the first post, I used just mtkclient and fastboot to flash. I suspect TWRP could be made to work. I don't know much about magisk yet. mtkclient is at https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient . In my opinion the mtkclient code does not sufficiently respect a principle called DRY to maintain it effectively, but at least it is open source and a normative project to communicate with mediatek firmware. mtkclient can be used to extract factory images or flash new partitions, among many other things.

mtkclient speaks a protocol that could possibly work from a phone as well as a desktop. the same is likely true of fastboot. i imagine people have not implemented that yet.

I suspect any treble-based image should work, but I don't really know as I'm new to these things. Making a non-treble image work could mean getting the GPL kernel sources from Hot Pepper which they are legally obligated to provide in their action of distributing a linux-based android phone in the USA.

I don't know what uploading a UI theme is; do other flashing processes require this? I didn't need to do this.

The phone is still working for me but has gotten much slower and glitchier after use; still not as bad as with the factory image, though. I haven't poked at its innards since I made the original post. I suspect it needs a treble_experimentations upgrade by now, or soon, as the revision I am running was a prerelease at the time.

It seems really helpful to try connecting phones to tools like mtkclient just in case they happen to speak the same protocol. Additionally there is a lot of information in adb shell getprop and a little in fastboot getvar all, but basically I spent the whole day persistently websearching, looking for similarities and possibilities, and trying things, until I found an avenue that worked.