How are people rooting Dev editions?

Search This thread

phositadc

May 7, 2010
The Dev edition comes with the software update right? Does the jcase method work, or are people installing a custom recovering and just flashing superuser?

Sent from my Nexus 7

M

mentose457

My big red de did not come with the update (no surprise there). To root it you unlock the bootloader, flash recovery and upon rebooting it asks if you want to root. You then swipe to root and reboot. Once rebooted, you update the supersu app and you are done.

Sent from my Moto X.

Bill Idol

Aug 4, 2007
San Francisco
My big red de did not come with the update (no surprise there). To root it you unlock the bootloader, flash recovery and upon rebooting it asks if you want to root. You then swipe to root and reboot. Once rebooted, you update the supersu app and you are done.

Sent from my Moto X.

I have the dev edition and I rooted with Jcase's PwnMyMoto exploit. I was told that I didn't need to unroot it to unlock the bootloader. I thought I would have to start from scratch and did what you did. Any thoughts on this. If I leave it rooted and unlock the boot loader will it still ask me to root the device, or do I just go ahead and flash a custom recovery image?
:confused:
Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

M

mentose457

I have the dev edition and I rooted with Jcase's PwnMyMoto exploit. I was told that I didn't need to unroot it to unlock the bootloader. I thought I would have to start from scratch and did what you did. Any thoughts on this. If I leave it rooted and unlock the boot loader will it still ask me to root the device, or do I just go ahead and flash a custom recovery image?
:confused:
Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

When you unlock the bootloader it will wipe your device clean. So you will need to re-root anyway. Flashing TWRP would be the easiest way to re-root. Also you will want to back up your files too.