How can I create a home shortcut to specific "app pages" or "activities"? (e.g.: shortcut to YouTube's "Time watched" page of the app)

Search This thread

wbs_perso

Apr 19, 2018
OnePlus 5T
So I have been using several techniques to make shortcuts for a quick and efficient use of settings I frequently tab in and out, and therefore I know that it's possible to make shortcuts for specific sub-settings or "pages" of some apps (I believe the right dev word may be "activity"? Please do correct me if I'm wrong), for example to get to the Android "Notification Log".

But I was wondering if something similar was possible for any app to basically just "capture the app's current opened page" somehow (I don't know if it's like some kind of internal link/path but I would imagine it to be? Once again my knowledge is limited in this field so feel free to educate me or point me to the appropriate ressources), and then from it "paste" the link to that page in a shortcut app or directly create a shortcut of it on the home screen.

Screenshot_20220627-010342.jpg

I hope that makes sense, to summarize the goal would be to avoid opening an app, going into a sub-menu, and another sub-menu to access one interesting page, and instead access it right away with a simple shortcut on the home screen.

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
So I have been using several techniques to make shortcuts for a quick and efficient use of settings I frequently tab in and out, and therefore I know that it's possible to make shortcuts for specific sub-settings or "pages" of some apps (I believe the right dev word may be "activity"? Please do correct me if I'm wrong), for example to get to the Android "Notification Log".

But I was wondering if something similar was possible for any app to basically just "capture the app's current opened page" somehow (I don't know if it's like some kind of internal link/path but I would imagine it to be? Once again my knowledge is limited in this field so feel free to educate me or point me to the appropriate ressources), and then from it "paste" the link to that page in a shortcut app or directly create a shortcut of it on the home screen.

I hope that makes sense, to summarize the goal would be to avoid opening an app, going into a sub-menu, and another sub-menu to access one interesting page, and instead access it right away with a simple shortcut on the home screen.
Use a browser that has the option to create bookmark/page shortcuts on homescreen, open YouTube in your browser, login to Youtube, go to your watched page, open your browser settings and find the option add to homescreen or create shortcut.

I do this with Facebook, YouTube and XDA instead of using the apps, I use Firefox browser (allows adblocking and VPN on all of them without root via add-ons in Firefox settings) to create my shortcuts but other browsers can do the same thing. I enable the option in Facebook and YouTube to send notifications via email(Gmail) then set Gmail to notify me when it receives notifications from Facebook/Youtube. This allows me to receive notifications without needing Facebook app and YouTube app.

I disable the Facebook app and the YouTube app completely and just use the shortcuts I create. Another advantage to this is I don't have the Facebook app or YouTube app running in background at any time or using data in background or snooping/tracking activity.

There are also some apps in Playstore for rooted devices that can create shortcuts to individual parts of other apps and services.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldNoobOne

wbs_perso

Apr 19, 2018
OnePlus 5T
Use a browser that has the option to create bookmark/page shortcuts on homescreen, open YouTube in your browser, login to Youtube, go to your watched page, open your browser settings and find the option add to homescreen or create shortcut.

I do this with Facebook, YouTube and XDA instead of using the apps, I use Firefox browser (allows adblocking and VPN on all of them without root via add-ons in Firefox settings) to create my shortcuts but other browsers can do the same thing. I enable the option in Facebook and YouTube to send notifications via email(Gmail) then set Gmail to notify me when it receives notifications from Facebook/Youtube. This allows me to receive notifications without needing Facebook app and YouTube app.

I disable the Facebook app and the YouTube app completely and just use the shortcuts I create. Another advantage to this is I don't have the Facebook app or YouTube app running in background at any time or using data in background or snooping/tracking activity.

There are also some apps in Playstore for rooted devices that can create shortcuts to individual parts of other apps and services.

Well this could work but unfortunately the "Time watched" screen seems to only be available in the YouTube app even though it's "based on the watch history across YouTube products" as it says:

Screenshot_20220628-133242.png

Here you can see that when accessing YouTube through Chrome the "Time watched" page is missing:

Screenshot_20220628-133301.jpg
Screenshot_20220628-133819.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.