Question How can I Degoogle my Redmi Note 10 Pro (sweet)?

Search This thread

ByteSeb

May 7, 2021
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I recently found out about CalyxOS, a custom ROM that replaces Google Apps with Open source apps, and that whenever Google Play Services is required, it uses MicroG instead. I like this approach, as I think it is the best one for degoogling without compromising a lot the functionality. However, this ROM is only available for Pixels, and I wanted to replicate something similar with my Redmi Note 10 Pro, but I don't know if it's possible.

I think of installing a Custom ROM, and instead of flashing GApps, I flash MicroG, hopefully getting a similar result. I think that LineageOS has a way to do this, but to be honest, I don't really feel comfortable knowing that the only version of it available for this phone is an unofficial one.

Is this possible with another ROM? What ROM would you exactly recommend me and how could I do this?

Reactions: Stan m and chentz78

BigChungus321

Any vanilla roms are mostly degoogled (Lineage OS, Havoc OS, crDroid, Carbon ROM etc...). Basically, if you want a degoogled experience, find the vanilla variant of the said rom though most roms nowadays copy pixel experience and degoogling is not really popular. As for a degoogled MIUI experience, you can only get it through a china port and only one miui china port rom exists in RN10Pro and it was last updated Nov.2021.

ByteSeb

May 7, 2021
Redmi Note 10 Pro
And after flashing the vanilla ROM, I guess that I have to install MicroG, right?
Any vanilla roms are mostly degoogled (Lineage OS, Havoc OS, crDroid, Carbon ROM etc...). Basically, if you want a degoogled experience, find the vanilla variant of the said rom though most roms nowadays copy pixel experience and degoogling is not really popular. As for a degoogled MIUI experience, you can only get it through a china port and only one miui china port rom exists in RN10Pro and it was last updated Nov.2021.

Reactions: notnoelchannel

BigChungus321

And after flashing the vanilla ROM, I guess that I have to install MicroG, right?
Yes you can choose between 4 options to install MicroG. Either MinMicroG (Magisk/TWRP), MicroG Installer Revived (Magisk), NanoDroid (Magisk/TWRP but only for A11), or manually installing and giving MicroG permission. Personally, I find MicroG Installer Revived and MinMicroG to be the best as it also support patched Play Store installation (because I rely on my old purchase). Also don't worry about the ROM you choose if it doesn't support signature spoof. You can always use FakeGapps LsPosed module to spoof that part. Just make sure to use a vanilla build to avoid hectic uninstallation of Google services and actually have a clean slate to work with. Also if you're wondering, banking apps (and some apps that check for latest Play Services) will not work. Safety Net can still be passed with MicroG. You can even get L1 Certificate and get Google Photos spoofed even on MicroG.

ByteSeb

May 7, 2021
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Thanks. Do you think there is any way for me to try it with a VM before doing it or something like that?
Yes you can choose between 4 options to install MicroG. Either MinMicroG (Magisk/TWRP), MicroG Installer Revived (Magisk), NanoDroid (Magisk/TWRP but only for A11), or manually installing and giving MicroG permission. Personally, I find MicroG Installer Revived and MinMicroG to be the best as it also support patched Play Store installation (because I rely on my old purchase). Also don't worry about the ROM you choose if it doesn't support signature spoof. You can always use FakeGapps LsPosed module to spoof that part. Just make sure to use a vanilla build to avoid hectic uninstallation of Google services and actually have a clean slate to work with. Also if you're wondering, banking apps (and some apps that check for latest Play Services) will not work. Safety Net can still be passed with MicroG. You can even get L1 Certificate and get Google Photos spoofed even on MicroG.

BigChungus321

Thanks. Do you think there is any way for me to try it with a VM before doing it or something like that?
Degoogling? Nope, I personally tried VM's like vmos, nox, bluestack, parallel space and they can't mostly because the OS they function with requires Google Play Services. If you still wanna try degoogling then I guess try on some old devices which support custom ROM (especially lineage). Worst you can do is soft brick which is still recoverable. But if you get more knowledge on custom ROMs and your plan to degoogle then you can't really fail. Just research more and ask for guide on others.

ByteSeb

May 7, 2021
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Degoogling? Nope, I personally tried VM's like vmos, nox, bluestack, parallel space and they can't mostly because the OS they function with requires Google Play Services. If you still wanna try degoogling then I guess try on some old devices which support custom ROM (especially lineage). Worst you can do is soft brick which is still recoverable. But if you get more knowledge on custom ROMs and your plan to degoogle then you can't really fail. Just research more and ask for guide on others.
You're right. That's why I tried it on BlueStacks but it didn't work.

What else does not work with MicroG?

BigChungus321

You're right. That's why I tried it on BlueStacks but it didn't work.

What else does not work with MicroG?
Most banking apps, apps that check for specific version of play services and above (microg version is like taken from android KitKat or smt so really outdated) example is MuseScore. So really, secure apps that implement safety net check most likely doesn't work with microg. Still you can spoof device attestation to basic and pass safety net for some apps like Netflix.

ByteSeb

May 7, 2021
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Most banking apps, apps that check for specific version of play services and above (microg version is like taken from android KitKat or smt so really outdated) example is MuseScore. So really, secure apps that implement safety net check most likely doesn't work with microg. Still you can spoof device attestation to basic and pass safety net for some apps like Netflix.
Is there any way to force apps like banking apps to work with MicroG? Maybe with some Magisk module or something like that?

BigChungus321

Is there any way to force apps like banking apps to work with MicroG? Maybe with some Magisk module or something like that?
Sometimes I guess so... It did work on a few apps for me. Magisk 25.1 only uses zygisk and Shamiko magisk module is used to hide the root. But magisk hide on v23 can hide root better on some apps. But that is with root, not spoofing the microg to work with banking apps. So I guess there is not. Still worth a shot though. I find using website version of my banking app better cause the browser doesn't actually check for root.

chabula

Jun 19, 2009
Hoorn
What to think of this Unofficial /e/OS rom

A rom based on lineage without all of google

I run it with recovery orangefox, Magisk 25,2 and adaway
And all i use is working

Laptapper

Jan 17, 2016
What to think of this Unofficial /e/OS rom

A rom based on lineage without all of google

I run it with recovery orangefox, Magisk 25,2 and adaway
And all i use is working

Pls send some screenshots like settings and special settings, Battery consumption and so on. Thanks

Stan m

Jun 1, 2020
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hey ByteSeb,
First I want to tell you that privacy is a journey, there are a lot of aspects to it, and is not a on or off switch. Don't be disheartened if you can't accomplish everything, every step you take to regain your privacy counts.
The best thing you could do is buy a pixel phone if you can afford, and use either calyx or graphene os, maybe even divestOS. AOSP is not completely degoogled, for eg it still has google dns, gps, etc. (example).
You can always make changes to open source roms. The only decent vanilla rom for this device I found is ArrowOS, or you could even try Lineage GSI.
One of the most important things you can do is: use open source apps, like newpipe instead of youtube. And lets say you want to be signed in to your social media account or email, use different browsers. For eg you can use one browser where you do all your stuff where your one identity is tied. But I would recommend just use pc or laptop for most things, as they are much better at privacy than android (use linux/unix).
PS: don't look for privacy advices on xda or reddit...

Reactions: Fostel

chabula

Jun 19, 2009
Hoorn
Pls send some screenshots like settings and special settings, Battery consumption and so on. Thanks

Unofficial /e/ OS - Android S/12 - Xiaomi redmi note 10 pro **sweet**

/e/OS DevicesUnOfficial Builds
unofficial-builds xiaomi sweet s

ChimpthepimpI Build ROM's

10d

Another S/Android 12 build for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10pro - sweet
A big thanks to pulkit077, whose sources have premitted me to assemble this rom.
- Please make sure you use the latest twrp version, 3.7.0-a12.0 to flash the ROM.
- It is recommended to clean flash, for this device with dynamic partitioning, that means flash the rom and then format data.
- If you are coming from a different vendor version please make sure to flash miui vendor first, accordingly to your region.
- If you are coming from a different Android version make sure to rollback to android 12 firmware.

I have tested this rom the past 2 weeks myself and am happy about feedback or to assisst if needed.
Find the rom file here 3
Enjoy /e/ on the Xiaomi Redmi note 10pro

Laptapper

Jan 17, 2016

Unofficial /e/ OS - Android S/12 - Xiaomi redmi note 10 pro **sweet**

/e/OS DevicesUnOfficial Builds
unofficial-builds xiaomi sweet s

ChimpthepimpI Build ROM's

10d

Another S/Android 12 build for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10pro - sweet
A big thanks to pulkit077, whose sources have premitted me to assemble this rom.
- Please make sure you use the latest twrp version, 3.7.0-a12.0 to flash the ROM.
- It is recommended to clean flash, for this device with dynamic partitioning, that means flash the rom and then format data.
- If you are coming from a different vendor version please make sure to flash miui vendor first, accordingly to your region.
- If you are coming from a different Android version make sure to rollback to android 12 firmware.

I have tested this rom the past 2 weeks myself and am happy about feedback or to assisst if needed.
Find the rom file here 3
Enjoy /e/ on the Xiaomi Redmi note 10pro

Sounds very good!
Pls make a separate thread for this ROM

Reactions: Fostel

chabula

Jun 19, 2009
Hoorn
Hey ByteSeb,
First I want to tell you that privacy is a journey, there are a lot of aspects to it, and is not a on or off switch. Don't be disheartened if you can't accomplish everything, every step you take to regain your privacy counts.
The best thing you could do is buy a pixel phone if you can afford, and use either calyx or graphene os, maybe even divestOS. AOSP is not completely degoogled, for eg it still has google dns, gps, etc. (example).
You can always make changes to open source roms. The only decent vanilla rom for this device I found is ArrowOS, or you could even try Lineage GSI.
One of the most important things you can do is: use open source apps, like newpipe instead of youtube. And lets say you want to be signed in to your social media account or email, use different browsers. For eg you can use one browser where you do all your stuff where your one identity is tied. But I would recommend just use pc or laptop for most things, as they are much better at privacy than android (use linux/unix).
PS: don't look for privacy advices on xda or reddit...
According to /e/OS
They stated this

DeGoogling / UnGoogling in /e/OS​

The goal of “deGoogling” is

• To remove or disable any feature or code that is sending data to Google servers, or at least to anonymize those accesses
  • To offer non-Google default online services, including for search.
  • the Google default search engine is removed and replaced by other services (see below in default apps and services)
  • Google Services are replaced by microG and alternative services (see below for more details)
  • All Google apps are removed and replaced by equivalent Open Source applications. The one exception is the Maps Application
  • No use of Google servers to check connectivity
  • NTP servers are not Google NTP servers anymore
  • DNS default servers are not Google anymore, and their settings can be enforced by the user to a specific server
  • Geolocation is using Mozilla Location Services in addition to GPS
  • CalDAV/CardDAV management and synchronization application (DAVDroid) is fully integrated with the user account and calendar/contact application

More details about the state of /e/OS OS deGooglisation can be found in this white paper.

It seems that all what you mentionesd is replaced in this OS

Laptapper

Jan 17, 2016
According to /e/OS
They stated this

DeGoogling / UnGoogling in /e/OS​

The goal of “deGoogling” is

• To remove or disable any feature or code that is sending data to Google servers, or at least to anonymize those accesses
  • To offer non-Google default online services, including for search.
  • the Google default search engine is removed and replaced by other services (see below in default apps and services)
  • Google Services are replaced by microG and alternative services (see below for more details)
  • All Google apps are removed and replaced by equivalent Open Source applications. The one exception is the Maps Application
  • No use of Google servers to check connectivity
  • NTP servers are not Google NTP servers anymore
  • DNS default servers are not Google anymore, and their settings can be enforced by the user to a specific server
  • Geolocation is using Mozilla Location Services in addition to GPS
  • CalDAV/CardDAV management and synchronization application (DAVDroid) is fully integrated with the user account and calendar/contact application

More details about the state of /e/OS OS deGooglisation can be found in this white paper.

It seems that all what you mentionesd is replaced in this OS
Not a new post..... A new thread with this ROM

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone tried it yet?
    and this is for Note 10 pro sweet
    Lol what is the purpose of creating and sharing a privacy based rom/os without sharing any code...
    I've got CalyxOS running right now, the 2023-04-29 version based on CalyxOS 4.8.3. It has some nice improvements over LineageOS, including Datura Firewall. I installed magisk, and it has MicroG included already. This 2023-04-29 build has MIUI camera included also.

Wireguard is not working properly with the stock Aghisna kernel. Transfer speed is very slow, around 0.20 mbps. I switched out the stock kernel for a Vantom kernel and that seems to have fixed it.

To get the safetynet check to pass, you need to install these modules (in magisk or kernelsu):

safetynet-fix-v2.4.0.zip

build-fp_1.zip

It's available for download here:

More info here:

A few screenshots attached.
    Which Twrp did you use to install? Orange Fox? And did you find any serious bugs?
    I used Aryan's OrangeFox, OrangeFox-R11.1_3-Unofficial-sweet, but I see it is OrangeFox R12.1_3 that is recommended.

The thread for it is here:

I think R11.1_3 is actually the newer version (in the 04122023 folder). The changelog mentions: "Corrected version naming (R11)"

I can see it is using compression and erofs.

The biggest bug was the wireguard issue I mentioned, but it was fixed by switching to the Vantom kernel.

I also noticed mobile data didn't work at first. I had to enter the APN settings manually and reboot (and then it worked).

There is a screen flickering/flashing on the lock screen for a moment, only when you first boot the phone. It seems related to adaptive brightness, and with adaptive brightness turned off, I don't notice it.

That's mostly it, so nothing serious I've found so far that can't be fixed with the kernel. I think the dev will release an update sometime after the next android security updates.