How can I remove Nabi Mode from a Nabi Big Tab

Search This thread

Bigjonmeads

Mar 22, 2015
I've got the Nabi Big Tab 24. I just rooted it last night. After rooting it, I haven't done anything with it. I want to remove the Nabi mode. Can anyone tell me what would be the best method for doing this?

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I've got the Nabi Big Tab 24. I just rooted it last night. After rooting it, I haven't done anything with it. I want to remove the Nabi mode. Can anyone tell me what would be the best method for doing this?

Doesn't it have the option in settings(security tab maybe) for "parent mode" that boots the tablet to normal KitKat?

Bigjonmeads

Mar 22, 2015
Doesn't it have the option in settings(security tab maybe) for "parent mode" that boots the tablet to normal KitKat?

It does, but I want it gone though. I mean, I can get by with it as it is, but my kids don't play on it and you can't put an SD card in it so it's just a waste of the limited space.

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
It does, but I want it gone though. I mean, I can get by with it as it is, but my kids don't play on it and you can't put an SD card in it so it's just a waste of the limited space.

As much work as I have done on the Nabi's that really isn't something I know much about which files should go for Nabi mode specifically. There are some people more knowledgeable then me over in the Nabi2 thread. For example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49383966&postcount=2174

Edit: don't actually run that script, it's just an example! :)

Feel free to ask over there in that thread and link to this thread(we don't consider much off topic over there since we dont have a Nabi forum), one of those guys will probably see it and help out. 2 or 3 of those guys have a good grasp on deleting useless stuff.

Last edited:

MeasleyBeasley

Aug 3, 2014
The Great White North
I'm currently involved with a similar project. The excessively large screen makes the Nabi Big Tab HD (DMTAB-NV24A) very appealing. The plethora of child oriented features (that are not easily hidden) does not.
I rooted the tablet using Kingo Root. This was a simple process through which I encountered no issues.
According to this thread, it is supposedly possible to install a version of TWRP configured for a similar device and root the good old fashioned way. I did not attempt that and cannot confirm that it works.
The child-friendly interface can be replaced by installing a non-stock launcher. I used Nova Launcher.
Applications like ROM Toolbox Lite can be used to remove any system application, including the many Nabi applications that cannot be otherwise removed. It might be prudent to use an APK extractor or backup utility (this is where it would have been advantageous to have rooted using TWRP), to make recovery easier if you remove something vital to the system.

Remaining in the settings menu, under security, is the option to set Nabi Mode as the mode on boot. When the Nabi Mode and default Launcher have been deleted and this option is selected the tablet will boot to the recents screen, with no apparent method of switching to "Parent Mode". I've tested this a couple times and the only way that I have found to recover from this is to factory reset.

Factory resets do not restore deleted system apps, though the thirty-odd Nabi games are restored.

If anyone knows of a method that could be used to remove the settings option mentioned above, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Last edited: