How can I root my Sony Bravia XD9305 Android TV

Search This thread

songokuaka

Jun 20, 2017
Hi there,

long story short - I do want to root my Bravia tv. I don´t know really why it hasn´t been done by someone already ^^"
In most cases there would be 1000 of questions and threads for this theme, but my internet search didn´t help at all.

Now I am trying to get all information I need to accomplish my task.

-On the tv is android 6.0.1 installed.
-adb connections are useable and i can read write in every folder except the system ones, which I need for the superuser installation
-through adb I could restart into recovery mode, but without TWRP I can´t install the superSU, which I need to get the rights to do all I want with the operating system

For ones I want to accomplish this based on the pure interest in android development. For seconds to use my tv like I want it to:)
I have 4k files which I can play through an usb 3.0 hdd without stuttering, but when I do the exact same with an wlan (ac) or lan connection I always get stuttering.
The lan port only transmits at 100mbits and I need gigabit lan. I don´t understand either, why the "ac" connection don´t work smoothly as I would expect.
Because I dont want to connect the tv to an usb hdd, but my NAS (Zyxel 520) I searched for other ways to accomplish my task.

On this search I found a forum where a user tried to use a usb 3 to gigabit lan adapter with the RTL8153 chipset, but couldn´t get it working because the tv
needed root rights to activate the device under android. That´s what I am trying to accomplish by this thread.

The link to the mentioned forum thread is: h**ps://community.sony.at/t5/android-tv/wie-gigabit-lan-nachrusten-bei-sony-kdl55w755c/td-p/2256204/page/2"]https://community.sony.at/t5/android-tv/wie-gigabit-lan-nachrusten-bei-sony-kdl55w755c/td-p/2256204/page/2

My skills can be regarded as pro and I am a fast learner. I do work as developer in the java (android) sector. I would appreciate every help, link, suggestions that would make my idea of a rooted android tv
reality and share the results here with everyone else:)

I hope some people are interested and we can start to get to work:)

Last edited:
Reactions: maanteel

futureshock

Aug 16, 2006
Graz
www.futureshock.at
Hi, i've the same TV as you... but didn't thought about rooting it for now...
from what i understand we need an unlocked bootloade first... so basically what you can try is, in an adb reboot in bootloader and then try to unlock the bootloader

fastboot oem unlock

probably this will not work anyway...

wellaflex

Dec 28, 2012
www.facebook.com
I'm trying to work with some friends to create a twrp for a bravia android tv 2015 and try to change it with fastboot

if it's work maybe will be the first sony rooted android?
If not....it's 10 pounds a motherboard on ebay,my luck

see you soon

mgrudzin

Mar 17, 2018
Any update / help needed?
BTW:this will support all bravia 2015 models?

I'm interested cause would like to remove ads in YouTube (just imagine 3 years old daughter is watching nursery song, any got commercial for grownup...) + auto dschedule to shutdown all radios (I do switch off all radios at home during the night for health reasons. In the end WiFi and mobile is an microwave:)

M.

rolk

Apr 2, 2018
Reactions: wellaflex

~Barahona~

May 28, 2018
I need to root this Bravia Tv

I know nothing about software (only to use what you make).
And I am looking for something to root my Bravia. Why? Because use a 256Gb USB dribe on it, but I can not download things direct to the that USB because say is read only. But I can access to it (write and read) using MLUSB Mounter. But if I try to use any torrent client, can not write directly to the USB. Yes to another USB I formated for the TV, but no for that one. And that one can not be format by the Tv. Maybe because of the size (256Gb). I upgra de SO from Android 7 to Android 8 (Oreo). It is better, but still can not use the USB the way I want.

Last edited:

Tigerevo

Mar 14, 2011
I have Xbr-55X850D Bravia running 7.0 . How did you upgrade to Oreo as I couldn't find that on Sony site. Well wanted to root it. Is there a way to hook my comp up to it. I used Remote Adb on my phone and wanted to unlock bootloader . I rebooted into bootloader , the screen then turned gray . I tried fastboot flashing unlock . I then tried fastboot oem unlock . The screen stayed same . I tried fastboot reboot . Then it dawned on me , since I was using IP address , then it might not have connection wirelessly. I tried unplugging tv waiting for a while then plugged in and turned on . The Sony logo pops up then screen goes gray . Think it's stuck in bootloader mode . Is there a way to connect my PC or Android phone with a cable and run Adb ? Oh and did someone make a TWRP for this ? I've downloaded the firmware for the tv and as last resort will try it on USB drive to restore.

josonxie

Feb 13, 2020
china
Yes, I'm also very curious how you were able to update your Sony TV to Android 8. Sony seems to have these firmware updates very locked-down. Which model Bravia do you have?

open

GelRaK3.jpg

How to root? I have removed emmc , But no official software update from Sony。
Who has a burning tool for sony TV?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drahy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

long story short - I do want to root my Bravia tv. I don´t know really why it hasn´t been done by someone already ^^"
    In most cases there would be 1000 of questions and threads for this theme, but my internet search didn´t help at all.

Now I am trying to get all information I need to accomplish my task.

-On the tv is android 6.0.1 installed.
    -adb connections are useable and i can read write in every folder except the system ones, which I need for the superuser installation
    -through adb I could restart into recovery mode, but without TWRP I can´t install the superSU, which I need to get the rights to do all I want with the operating system

For ones I want to accomplish this based on the pure interest in android development. For seconds to use my tv like I want it to:)
    I have 4k files which I can play through an usb 3.0 hdd without stuttering, but when I do the exact same with an wlan (ac) or lan connection I always get stuttering.
    The lan port only transmits at 100mbits and I need gigabit lan. I don´t understand either, why the "ac" connection don´t work smoothly as I would expect.
    Because I dont want to connect the tv to an usb hdd, but my NAS (Zyxel 520) I searched for other ways to accomplish my task.

On this search I found a forum where a user tried to use a usb 3 to gigabit lan adapter with the RTL8153 chipset, but couldn´t get it working because the tv
    needed root rights to activate the device under android. That´s what I am trying to accomplish by this thread.

The link to the mentioned forum thread is: h**ps://community.sony.at/t5/android-tv/wie-gigabit-lan-nachrusten-bei-sony-kdl55w755c/td-p/2256204/page/2"]https://community.sony.at/t5/android-tv/wie-gigabit-lan-nachrusten-bei-sony-kdl55w755c/td-p/2256204/page/2

My skills can be regarded as pro and I am a fast learner. I do work as developer in the java (android) sector. I would appreciate every help, link, suggestions that would make my idea of a rooted android tv
    reality and share the results here with everyone else:)

I hope some people are interested and we can start to get to work:)
    I'm trying to work with some friends to create a twrp for a bravia android tv 2015

I believe this model uses the MT5890 chipset; you would probably like to take a look at this thread then: https://xdaforums.com/android/software/rooting-mediatek-based-linux-smart-tv-t3150281/post68797397#post68797397

And perhaps this kernel is useful: https://github.com/p0isk/linux-3.10.27plus
    Yes, I'm also very curious how you were able to update your Sony TV to Android 8. Sony seems to have these firmware updates very locked-down. Which model Bravia do you have?

open

GelRaK3.jpg

How to root? I have removed emmc , But no official software update from Sony。
    Who has a burning tool for sony TV?
    @josonxie you have a message, we have to create a thread, i have the tools for rooting the tv, lets make a try