Question How can I stop battery drain on "screen off"?

Search This thread

TheKaptan23

Jul 2, 2014
I'm happy with the battery performance, but only when the screen is on. When I use the phone mostly with the screen on, I get good SOT(6-9 hours), but with the screen off, the battery consumption is terrible. How can I pull this down?

Reactions: bodomfan

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Probably a cloud app; try temporarily disabling Google play Services, Google backup is a dependency as is Playstore, Gmail. Some apps also need it to run. I enable it once or twice a day. Disabled saves 1+%@hr.
Trashware social media apps like fb, WhatsApp etc shouldn't be installed. It all adds up.
6 hours SOT with a 5002 mAh battery isn't good, 9 hrs is fair to poor. That said all Samsung's should be optimized for best performance.

Reactions: winoles

TheKaptan23

Jul 2, 2014
Thanks for your opininon. Are you saying we shouldn't use Whatsapp? Is it real solution?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks for your opininon. Are you saying we shouldn't use Whatsapp? Is it real solution?
Real as it gets. All social media apps should never be installed. Many should even be logged on to. WhatsApp track record is stunningly bad.
Lots of users means its got a huge bullseye on it even if they try to secure it, it will hacked again like the sun rises in the morning... for sure. Meanwhile phishing scams run under the radar and count on you screwing up. And many do.

You got to ask yourself one question,
4fc6757c6bb3f7bd29000002.jpeg
You feel lucky today?

Reactions: TheKaptan23
No really. The problem is that all the apps developed by Meta (Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp) are power hogs. Meta does not care if it chews up battery. The primary reason is that Meta is shoving ads in your face. Even when your screen is off, those apps are running in the background. Meta is not the only offender. There are plenty of other app developers that do the same thing.

Also, there are different "flavors" of Android. Each OEM implements it differently (even within the OEMs). This makes it less cost effective to customize their apps for each OEM. There is only one flavor of iOS and iPadOS, so it is much easier to tweak it for iPhones and iPads than it is for Android devices.

Last edited:

TheKaptan23

Jul 2, 2014
I understand. Thanks. I have another question. You said you turned off google play services. When I turn it off, notifications do not work and many applications do not work. How do you overcome this situation?

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I understand. Thanks. I have another question. You said you turned off google play services. When I turn it off, notifications do not work and many applications do not work. How do you overcome this situation?
It doesn't effect any notifications for me that I use except Gmail. Most my apps run without it. I tend to shun those that do.
Some of the Samsung apps take the place of Google apps, no need to run both.

If killing Google play Services helps at night it's likely Google backup Transport running.

eyad101

Dec 3, 2022
Hello, I have something to ask about. I need to know if there is any ability to store a system application variables usin adb. Imagine that I want to open my settings app and do something mabye a confirmation dialog will be shown in order to say something such as alert for something supposed that I did click on OK, i the normal case this alert will never be shown even if you clear the settings app data or clear the cash, is there any way to use adb to store the settings app data before opening it the if anything as the previous senario happened I can restore the settings app to the moment before clicking on the OK button or even before this alert has shown

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Many apps that "need" Google play Services are Playstore pay apps. This can be circumvented by first allowing the app to activate, then firewall blocking their internet connection. Firewall block Playstore as well although it should be disabled except when needed.
If an app doesn't need internet access to function it should be firewall blocked anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm happy with the battery performance, but only when the screen is on. When I use the phone mostly with the screen on, I get good SOT(6-9 hours), but with the screen off, the battery consumption is terrible. How can I pull this down?
    Probably a cloud app; try temporarily disabling Google play Services, Google backup is a dependency as is Playstore, Gmail. Some apps also need it to run. I enable it once or twice a day. Disabled saves 1+%@hr.
    Trashware social media apps like fb, WhatsApp etc shouldn't be installed. It all adds up.
    6 hours SOT with a 5002 mAh battery isn't good, 9 hrs is fair to poor. That said all Samsung's should be optimized for best performance.
    Unfortunately, because of SD 8 gen 1 limitations (probably worse on Exynos variant), about 6-7 hours SOT is best you're going to get on the S22 ultra.

Try the following guide here & see if it helps your battery life.
    I have the Exynos version. My phone has a SOT of about 10 to 12 hours. Rooted and bebloated. I do have the brightness very low though.
    Android 13.
    OneUI 5.
    Latest.
    Lightly debloated.
    Real as it gets. All social media apps should never be installed. Many should even be logged on to. WhatsApp track record is stunningly bad.
    Lots of users means its got a huge bullseye on it even if they try to secure it, it will hacked again like the sun rises in the morning... for sure. Meanwhile phishing scams run under the radar and count on you screwing up. And many do.

You got to ask yourself one question,
    4fc6757c6bb3f7bd29000002.jpeg
    You feel lucky today?