• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How can I test what might be blocking/interfering with an app connecting via WiFi?

Search This thread
I'll be frank, the following is quite the rant. Skip to the end if you're impatient, lol.

So I've been having issues with a specific game on my OnePlus 9 Pro, which has been going on across three different devices and two different wireless carriers, as well as several different WiFi hotspots. The game in question is Crossing Void, and it's gotten to the point where I can only play on mobile data. And even more recently, I've been having issues getting into the game and staying connected to it. I see a lot of reviews mention this on the game's store page, but unfortunately, the developers' customer service is abysmal. Not only do they not acknowledge that this is a common issue, but so far all their responses have been the usual IT Crowd memes ("Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" "Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it?", useless ideas, etc).

Now, I am aware that the device I'm using is a 5G-capable phone. I am also aware that 5G isn't completely rolled out. I am also aware that while 5G is available in my area, it's a bit sad at the moment. My speeds are pretty much garbage, yes. But I can assure you that I have tried 4G/LTE+, I have tried 3G, I have also had extensive discussions with T-Force about the 5G issues in my area. I was told, and I quote, "there are plans to expand existing sites and build new sites to add bands N71, 71, and N41, starting in the first quarter of 2022, so you can expect to see the effects of those improvements within the next 6 months." But no explanation whatsoever as to why any other standard below 5G (LTE+, 4G, 3G, etc) were suffering from poor speeds as well. Chalk it up to congestion, I suppose.

Today, things came to a breaking point. I couldn't stay connected very long, and that's if it even logged in at all. After over a dozen attempts to get something done in it, I gave up, and since my PC is connected via ethernet, I looked into reverse tethering, and found a client built from Rust called "gnirehtet," on Github.... and it's working, not surprisingly. After an initial connection drop (I might have started the PC-side app too soon or something), I unplugged the phone and reconnected it, and was able to get back in and actually PLAY for once.

OK, so end of that rant, and on to the tl;dr: OnePlus 9 Pro, Android 11, stock ROM. Rooted. How can I figure out WHY a game or app has a poor connection or no connection at all on WiFi? ANY WiFi? And on different devices?

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
:
the developers' customer service is abysmal. Not only do they not acknowledge that this is a common issue, but so far all their responses have been the usual IT Crowd memes ("Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" "Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it?", useless ideas, etc).
:

We call that "say a prayer", as in "Tell them to turn it off and back on, and then say a prayer that it fixes the problem".

Turning it off/on, uninstall/reinstall, delete cookies & cache, etc. is from the time of Windows 98. If it works today, it's a sign that the device/app/program is most probably defective.