• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How can we make the XDA forums better?

Search This thread

Su.sa.n.m

Jun 27, 2021
Mobile AL
Samsung Galaxy A10
Welcome to XDA🤗
Take at least a month to observe and learn how a forum functions. Play with it... most answers find you if you're patient.
"Your search, XDA", use Google search...
Thx for the input. U r right, I don't know how a forum works but I'm trying to learn. Adguard keeps getting disabled and sending me notifications it's due to my battery settings although I follow their instructions to the T. The next step in their support is XDA so here I am. What do u mean by "Your search, XDA, use Google search??

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Why do accounts that have been disabled, not show as disabled in conversations?
Here is a screenshot from a disabled account, but shows as a new member.
Even though the account has been disabled for hours.
Screenshot 2021-07-29 163719.png

Screenshot 2021-07-29 163837.png

Screenshot 2021-07-29 164418.png

Last edited:

woodman

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
Why do accounts that have been banned, not show as banned in conversations?
Here is a screenshot from a banned account, but shows as a new member.
Even though the account has been banned for hours.
View attachment 5373789
View attachment 5373791
View attachment 5373793
I tested myself and banned accounts show as banned in convo too.
The title of a banned member is not modified under XenForo, this is a difference from vBulletin where the title was automatically changed to "account currently disabled" IIRC.
The username is crossed out under XF for a banned account.
Edit: but maybe you don't see it as crossed out you as a non-mod?
Example:
Screenshot_20210730-000851.jpg

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
The title of a banned member is not modified under XenForo, this is a difference from vBulletin where the title was automatically changed to "account currently disabled" IIRC.
Example:
View attachment 5373801
They do not show as crossed out, in conversations for me.
This is not a one off either, this has happened several times.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
While Not being able to tell if a spammer has been banned already is annoying.
It's easy enough to just click on the profile and see the "profile is not available" error,
and make the conclusion that the account had been banned.
So, if this is not an easy fix, it's not a big problem for me.
I only get a couple of spam messages a week.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I only get a couple of spam messages a week.
You get spam PMs? Wow.
They never trouble me... if they do I show them wuv🤣
Gotten one or two maybe.

That may change though as I've been dressed down by a mod being too to rude to spamers.
Yes breaking forum rules by leaning on a fat keto spamer, the irony.
So now I'm woke🤣
I wouldn't do anything now to offend them... especially rat them out🤭
With proper social counseling I will help turn them into productive members here.
This is in conjunction with my flying pigs project.

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
Reactions: Austinredstoner

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
OK, seeing your screenshots, now understand, the issue is about the xda app. Maybe try the site with a browser and banned members will appear as crossed out even in convos?
So you would have to report this issue in the xda app section 😊

Edit: hmmm I checked again your previous screenshot... or is it happening on both (the app AND the site versions) for you?
Same in all versions

woodman

Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
Why do accounts that have been banned, not show as banned in conversations?
Here is a screenshot from a banned account, but shows as a new member.
Even though the account has been banned for hours.
View attachment 5373789
View attachment 5373791
View attachment 5373793

Example:
View attachment 5373801

OK so MikeChannon helped us on this topic, he modified something in admin cp and now all new banned accounts will show their title as '"Account currently disabled", just like it was the case under vBulletin. But they should not be shown with their username crossed out for non-moderators (only mods seem to be able to see the crossed out thingie for some reason)

Example from a web browser:
Screenshot_20210731-082636__01.jpg

Example from the xda app, when we tap on the username:
Screenshot_20210731-082726__01__01.jpg

Tho it won't do it retrospectively for those banned between January and yesterday.

Thanks @sd_shadow for having brought this here! That helped!

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
You get spam PMs? Wow.
They never trouble me... if they do I show them wuv🤣
Gotten one or two maybe...
Sorry I missed this quote.

Every new member that has joined since the end of March 2021
Has received an automated "Welcome to XDA!" message from me.
That message includes an offer to help with navigating the site or other questions they may have.
The "RC Welcome Committee" gets 15-30 replies every day.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Sorry I missed this quote.

Every new member that has joined since the end of March 2021
Has received an automated "Welcome to XDA!" message from me.
That message includes an offer to help with navigating the site or other questions they may have.
The "RC Welcome Committee" gets 15-30 replies every day.
That's cuddle spam🤣

What irritates me is when new members send PMs with questions on their first day rather than use the forum.
Rather rude and inappropriate... and I can be so neglectful.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Hello, I hope you all are fine...
I created a new thread and wanted to add a poll but there is no poll option anymore?
Was the design updated to remove Polls?
"Create poll" should be under "More options" next to "Search This thread"
Screenshot 2021-08-22 190346.jpg

Edit: It seems in some forums this feature is not available.
Screenshot 2021-08-22 191026.jpg

Reactions: Dante63

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, it's a "Trans" forum. It can compete in the forum olympics as a device because it identifies as a "device" despite not packing any internal or external device characteristics from birth.

This is in accordance with our more tolerant ways of thinking these days.
    We have moved beyond HTC exclusivity and we are now LGHTC+

We've also sucked the chocolate off the chocolate coated nuts making us just plain nuts, but crazy as we are, we're not so deluded as to keep XDA Assist as a device
    .... so I've cancelled its device membership.

Mike
    Its up to us active respected members to keep up this vibe.
    I got you completely mate.
    And if any member does not comply wirh our rules, you can help XDA by reporting.
    Cheers.
    How about a trophy for who dimes out the most?

A sterile site is a dead site. People post because they enjoy it. Friendly and not so friendly banter are part of a thriving forum.
    There's the ignore button which works quite well...
    "How we can make XDA better??"
    IMHO by starting to ged rid of all users/posters that only "post for the posting" and also all the "off topic posts" within threads. There is a lot of rivalry going around on XDA, which was a friendly and familiar site years ago. At this very moment, just as in real life unfortunately, there is a small bunch of "users/members" who with their behaviour spoils it for all the other "rule abiding" members. How can we solve that? I would be very willing in helping to solve this problem, kindest regards kuzibri
    And if any member does not comply wirh our rules, you can help XDA by reporting.
    Cheers.
    I think I'll just pass, no need for polls, the thread is more important to me than testing polls to be honest, perhaps in the future, and hopefully in the future next XDA update would be better...

The UI may look friendly, yes, on the browser it's great, on the phone app it's nightmare but I *sigh* then exit the app and start it again and pray it takes me to the post and share function is broken, gotta select the whole url before hitting copy to clipboard lol and finally, I'm inside the thread, why in the world was the tree path to thread was removed, if I want to go back to the category of where I posted the thread, I literally have to search for the category first then open it, you'd say why would I go back? It's just to see what new topics are there...

Website is 7/10 just because poll is missing...

App is 3/10, I mean maybe users won't complain but devs and mods, getting quoted and messaged and you can't refresh threads, or messages, speaking of messages, if the message 5 pages, why do I start at page one lol? Gotta go to the last page and scroll all the way down to see the latest message...

So yeah, to answer the question of how to improve XDA, fix the mobile app and add polls back again...

Thanks for your time ♡

I just added a poll to an existing thread here
    and here,
    both in flattened forums with thread prefixes.

Thanks for testing. So I personally assume the issue was probably that polls were disabled in a specific forum as Mike said above.
    Learning every day here, and it's good to know that polls can be added to existing "Xenforo" threads.

I actually was able to create poll on my existing thread, I think when @MikeChannon enabled polls on that category, it allowed creating polls, who would've thought it was just a simple enable of feature, no need to create two threads to merge, enabling was enough...

Thank you very much Sir, Boss, the XDA Sensei Mr. Mike...
    It's funny isn't it that the official XF forum said it was not possible to add Polls to existing threads.
    That said, it's entirely possible that it was true for an earlier version of XF and that in version 2 of XF they enabled it. Clearly they did at some point.

I discovered quite a number of forums where Polls were not enabled. I enabled them all.

If anyone discovers a forum where a poll cannot be added, let me know.

Mike

Mike
    Lol! Best most uptodate XDA description ever!
    Cheers.
    Yes, it's a "Trans" forum. It can compete in the forum olympics as a device because it identifies as a "device" despite not packing any internal or external device characteristics from birth.

We've also sucked the chocolate off the chocolate coated nuts making us just plain nuts, but crazy as we are, we're not so deluded as to keep XDA Assist as a device
    .... so I've cancelled its device membership.

Mike
    A 2-7 day waiting period to post for new members would discourage one thread wonders looking for a quick fix here rather than simple doing a Google search(s).
    Help dissuade spammers as well.
    Those with a sincere interest would suck up the wait...
    Cheers.
    How about a trophy for who dimes out the most?

A sterile site is a dead site. People post because they enjoy it. Friendly and not so friendly banter are part of a thriving forum.
    There's the ignore button which works quite well...
    "How we can make XDA better??"
    IMHO by starting to ged rid of all users/posters that only "post for the posting" and also all the "off topic posts" within threads. There is a lot of rivalry going around on XDA, which was a friendly and familiar site years ago. At this very moment, just as in real life unfortunately, there is a small bunch of "users/members" who with their behaviour spoils it for all the other "rule abiding" members. How can we solve that? I would be very willing in helping to solve this problem, kindest regards kuzibri
    Cheers.
    I think I'll just pass, no need for polls, the thread is more important to me than testing polls to be honest, perhaps in the future, and hopefully in the future next XDA update would be better...

The UI may look friendly, yes, on the browser it's great, on the phone app it's nightmare but I *sigh* then exit the app and start it again and pray it takes me to the post and share function is broken, gotta select the whole url before hitting copy to clipboard lol and finally, I'm inside the thread, why in the world was the tree path to thread was removed, if I want to go back to the category of where I posted the thread, I literally have to search for the category first then open it, you'd say why would I go back? It's just to see what new topics are there...

Website is 7/10 just because poll is missing...

App is 3/10, I mean maybe users won't complain but devs and mods, getting quoted and messaged and you can't refresh threads, or messages, speaking of messages, if the message 5 pages, why do I start at page one lol? Gotta go to the last page and scroll all the way down to see the latest message...

So yeah, to answer the question of how to improve XDA, fix the mobile app and add polls back again...

Thanks for your time ♡

I just added a poll to an existing thread here
    and here,
    both in flattened forums with thread prefixes.

Thanks for testing. So I personally assume the issue was probably that polls were disabled in a specific forum as Mike said above.
    Learning every day here, and it's good to know that polls can be added to existing "Xenforo" threads.

I actually was able to create poll on my existing thread, I think when @MikeChannon enabled polls on that category, it allowed creating polls, who would've thought it was just a simple enable of feature, no need to create two threads to merge, enabling was enough...

Thank you very much Sir, Boss, the XDA Sensei Mr. Mike...
    It's funny isn't it that the official XF forum said it was not possible to add Polls to existing threads.
    That said, it's entirely possible that it was true for an earlier version of XF and that in version 2 of XF they enabled it. Clearly they did at some point.

I discovered quite a number of forums where Polls were not enabled. I enabled them all.

If anyone discovers a forum where a poll cannot be added, let me know.

Mike