General How charging works on Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

Cami V.Community Manager
11/18/21
How charging works on Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro
The Pixel 6 Series was designed to deliver battery life that lasts all day. Incorporating some of Pixel’s largest batteries encouraged upgrades to charging as well: from a user perspective, a bigger battery shouldn’t have to mean it takes longer to charge to 100%.
Battery cell design determines the maximum charging power required for smartphones. A battery can be designed for high energy density, or for fast charging power capability, which requires trading off capacity to minimize battery degradation.
Google has designed the high energy density cells in Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro to strike a balance between battery life, longevity and fast charging. Regardless of available power coming from the wall plug, the actual power delivered through a full charge cycle varies over the course of a single charge. The charge rate at any moment is based on factors such as battery cell and system design, temperature, system usage, and state of charge.
We’ve optimized Pixel’s lithium-ion battery for high charge rates when the battery level is low. Pixel 6 can get up to 50% in around 30 minutes (with Google’s 30W USB-C Power Charger), and quickly reaches up to 80% in about an hour, depending on device usage and temperature.1 The peak power that Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro draw from the wired charger is 21W and 23W, respectively. As the battery gets closer to full, charging power is gradually reduced in order to improve battery longevity.

thread-135906719-3819305603872996858.gif

Pixel may also pause charging above 80% under certain conditions, and if you enable Adaptive Charging, Pixel can optimize charge rates for gradual overnight charging. Taken together, these approaches help you charge your Pixel quickly when the battery is low, but also help minimize degradation to preserve the lifespan of your battery.

Wired charging and wireless charging
The Pixel 6/Pro is designed to work with existing USB PD and BC1.2 wall chargers. However, it can charge more efficiently with chargers like our 30W USB-C Power Adapter which supports the new USB PD 3.0 PPS standard.
Wireless charging is typically less efficient, and is therefore slower, than wired charging. The new Pixel Stand was designed along with the 30W USB-C charger to enable fast, convenient wireless charging, with an active cooling fan to dissipate heat. Together, the new Pixel Stand and Google’s 30W USB-C Power Adapter can deliver the maximum power needed to charge the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro rapidly.

1 Charging testing conducted by Google in mid-2021 on pre-production hardware and software using default settings with the device powered on. Charging speed depends upon many factors including usage during charging, battery age and ambient temperature. Actual charging speed may be lower.

Last edited:

KOLIOSIS

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
I don't get all the worries about charging. I use a generic qi pad I bought several years ago. Just set the phone on it before bed and its 100% by morning, and has enough juice to run for 3 days easy.

Really what more can you possibly need? Oh my god it dropped to 99% must charge right this second!!!!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Everyone's needs are different. I prefer to baby my battery so I only charge to 75%, and rarely let it go below 25%, and I have never quick charged any phone. I still get 24 hours in that charging range.

Some other people are on the go, go, go so the want all the juice they can get. Then there are those between.

Last edited:

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I don't get all the worries about charging. I use a generic qi pad I bought several years ago. Just set the phone on it before bed and its 100% by morning, and has enough juice to run for 3 days easy.

Really what more can you possibly need? Oh my god it dropped to 99% must charge right this second!!!!
Me neither, whack it on charge and either take it off when its been at 100% for a bit and I've noticed or when i wake up.

Lithium cells have charge circuity that prevent over and under charging so 100% and 0% are never that anyway.

stuff

Apr 16, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've noticed at times that the phone is only charging at like 5-6 watts, even at something like 30-40% battery.
I'm not sure what causes that, but the charging watts fluctuates a lot.

Vash369

Sep 4, 2012
Tampa
For me it charges fast until it reaches 80%. It then trickle charge from there. I seem to be a minority in liking this charging method as I'd like to keep battery healthy rather using super ultra fast charging.

Reactions: MrBelter

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 6 Pro
@galaxys

What I'm reading is a long-winded explanation saying that they aren't going to change the way the phone charges, and the excuse is..."extend battery life".

By sheer chance, I decided to give the Google Play Store a look a few hrs ago & the latest model of the QI charging dock finally went into pre-order.
Overpriced, you bet, but, I ordered one. I have yet to charge my Pixel 6 Pro w/nothing but a wireless dock (Samsung's latest) & it's sloooooow.
Hopefully, Google's dock will improve upon that.
When is the anticipated delivery date for you? Mine says around mid December, between the 18th and 20th. If they send it through FedEx, more than likely you can add 1 week to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
in 1 way, i'm surprised they want to try to extend battery life. most people switch phones already every 1-2 years. why not kill the battery earlier and force pple to buy another phone to upgrade? more money for them

this is partially a joke, partially not

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm ok with the charging model. I've little interest in wireless charging due to the relative inefficiency: although I see the convenience argument, it doesn't provide enough benefit (last used it on the N5, which I sold within a month or so after purchase).
It was convenient with OnePlus phones, specifically OnePlus 8 Pro, and OnePlus 9 Pro.

They have the best wired, and wireless charging. In my case the OnePlus 8 Pro I had charged a whole lot faster than the P6P, even significantly faster than the S21 Ultra my wife has, especially during wireless charging.

The OnePlus 8 Pro could hit 30W both wired and wirelessly.

The biggest issue with Google is that they are too aggressive with the charging curve, and that last 15%-20% takes way too long. If they followed Samsung's charging curve, and allowed at least 25W, I would be a lot more ok with that.

December, between the 18th and 20th. If they send it through FedEx, more than likely you can add 1 week to that.

It could change to earlier.

I ordered my black P6P/128 on Ocrt. 29th (what - about 2 weeks after announced?) and it said it would ship January 18-19th. Suddenly, I checked a week later and the delivery changed to November 9th.

It is a pure joy to use. Finest phone I have ever held.

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It could change to earlier.

I ordered my black P6P/128 on Ocrt. 29th (what - about 2 weeks after announced?) and it said it would ship January 18-19th. Suddenly, I checked a week later and the delivery changed to November 9th.

It is a pure joy to use. Finest phone I have ever held.
Maybe. I ordered the phone on the 19th, about 2 1/2 hours after the presentation went live because the site kept crashing.

It was supposed to be delivered Oct. 27th, I didn't get it until Nov. 3rd because FedEx kept delaying the delivery.

Maybe. I ordered the phone on the 19th, about 2 1/2 hours after the presentation went live because the site kept crashing.

It was supposed to be delivered Oct. 27th, I didn't get it until Nov. 3rd because FedEx kept delaying the delivery.

That must be why - mine was delivered by OnTrac and they did a nice job.

KOLIOSIS

@galaxys

What I'm reading is a long-winded explanation saying that they aren't going to change the way the phone charges, and the excuse is..."extend battery life".

When is the anticipated delivery date for you? Mine says around mid December, between the 18th and 20th. If they send it through FedEx, more than likely you can add 1 week to that.
The quoted shipping dates ranged from 12/15-12/20,depending on which speed was chosen.
The only reason I chose the fastest speed option was to (hopefully) get ahead of the last-minute shipping chaos,'tis the season..............

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

somethingsomethingroot

Nov 8, 2013
I'm fine with preserving the battery. It certainly better than the extra security explainion for the FPR.

That said, if you start offering a 30W charger the same time you introduce a new phone, I can see why people thought the phone would charge at 30W. Google should've been clearer.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
For fairness’s sake, needs differentiate.

Some people want FULL POWER INSTA FULL WILL SWITCH PHONE IN 10 MONTH ANYWAY YOLO BATTERY HEALTH, GIMME 200 WATTS AS LONG AS IT DOESNT GO KABOOM WE GOOD

Then there are people like our roirraW "edor" ehT here that want to baby their battery (which makes a lot sense), so not too low, not too high - aaand as he said, everything in between.

What bothers me now is that Google doesn't give us a choice (I like that about Samsung in terms of charging).

Google should give us charging modes, like

1. FULL POWA!
2. Adaptive, according to temps, wakeup timer, whatever
3. Slow as heck, have fun using your phone next year

A choice is always better than none.

I - as an example - would like the automatic choice

Adaptive overnight + FULL POWA during the day.

- since I rarely chose to charge my phone "not" at night, that means IF I want to charge it during the day, it means I am running out and need quick juice. And in case I need quick juice, having some 10 Watt charging speeds with my 30 Watt charger, that would definitely infuriate me.

Is hasn't happened yet, since the battery is big and overnight is enough, but it could happen - and in that case, I want a good solution.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cami V.Community Manager
    11/18/21
    How charging works on Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro
    The Pixel 6 Series was designed to deliver battery life that lasts all day. Incorporating some of Pixel’s largest batteries encouraged upgrades to charging as well: from a user perspective, a bigger battery shouldn’t have to mean it takes longer to charge to 100%.
    Battery cell design determines the maximum charging power required for smartphones. A battery can be designed for high energy density, or for fast charging power capability, which requires trading off capacity to minimize battery degradation.
    Google has designed the high energy density cells in Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro to strike a balance between battery life, longevity and fast charging. Regardless of available power coming from the wall plug, the actual power delivered through a full charge cycle varies over the course of a single charge. The charge rate at any moment is based on factors such as battery cell and system design, temperature, system usage, and state of charge.
    We’ve optimized Pixel’s lithium-ion battery for high charge rates when the battery level is low. Pixel 6 can get up to 50% in around 30 minutes (with Google’s 30W USB-C Power Charger), and quickly reaches up to 80% in about an hour, depending on device usage and temperature.1 The peak power that Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro draw from the wired charger is 21W and 23W, respectively. As the battery gets closer to full, charging power is gradually reduced in order to improve battery longevity.

thread-135906719-3819305603872996858.gif

Pixel may also pause charging above 80% under certain conditions, and if you enable Adaptive Charging, Pixel can optimize charge rates for gradual overnight charging. Taken together, these approaches help you charge your Pixel quickly when the battery is low, but also help minimize degradation to preserve the lifespan of your battery.

Wired charging and wireless charging
    The Pixel 6/Pro is designed to work with existing USB PD and BC1.2 wall chargers. However, it can charge more efficiently with chargers like our 30W USB-C Power Adapter which supports the new USB PD 3.0 PPS standard.
    Wireless charging is typically less efficient, and is therefore slower, than wired charging. The new Pixel Stand was designed along with the 30W USB-C charger to enable fast, convenient wireless charging, with an active cooling fan to dissipate heat. Together, the new Pixel Stand and Google’s 30W USB-C Power Adapter can deliver the maximum power needed to charge the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro rapidly.

1 Charging testing conducted by Google in mid-2021 on pre-production hardware and software using default settings with the device powered on. Charging speed depends upon many factors including usage during charging, battery age and ambient temperature. Actual charging speed may be lower.
    For fairness’s sake, needs differentiate.

Some people want FULL POWER INSTA FULL WILL SWITCH PHONE IN 10 MONTH ANYWAY YOLO BATTERY HEALTH, GIMME 200 WATTS AS LONG AS IT DOESNT GO KABOOM WE GOOD

Then there are people like our roirraW "edor" ehT here that want to baby their battery (which makes a lot sense), so not too low, not too high - aaand as he said, everything in between.

What bothers me now is that Google doesn't give us a choice (I like that about Samsung in terms of charging).

Google should give us charging modes, like

1. FULL POWA!
    2. Adaptive, according to temps, wakeup timer, whatever
    3. Slow as heck, have fun using your phone next year

A choice is always better than none.

I - as an example - would like the automatic choice

Adaptive overnight + FULL POWA during the day.

- since I rarely chose to charge my phone "not" at night, that means IF I want to charge it during the day, it means I am running out and need quick juice. And in case I need quick juice, having some 10 Watt charging speeds with my 30 Watt charger, that would definitely infuriate me.

Is hasn't happened yet, since the battery is big and overnight is enough, but it could happen - and in that case, I want a good solution.
    By sheer chance, I decided to give the Google Play Store a look a few hrs ago & the latest model of the QI charging dock finally went into pre-order.
    Overpriced, you bet, but, I ordered one. I have yet to charge my Pixel 6 Pro w/nothing but a wireless dock (Samsung's latest) & it's sloooooow.
    Hopefully, Google's dock will improve upon that.
    I have reverted to a slow charger that delivers around 1.4A and combined with adaptive charging the phone never gets hot and takes hours to even get to 80% so perfect for overnight charging.