General How charging works on Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm in the habit of up to 80% topping off which is fast enough to get to for me and more than enough battery. And if I do happen charge overnight, adaptive charging has truly been good. Last night, I happened to unplug after waking up in the middle of the night and it truly slow charged.

Screenshot_20211119-110007.png

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I'm in the habit of up to 80% topping off which is fast enough to get to for me and more than enough battery. And if I do happen charge overnight, adaptive charging has truly been good. Last night, I happened to unplug after waking up in the middle of the night and it truly slow charged.

View attachment 5463155
I just checked my Accubattery, and adaptive charging is still broken for me. My phone is fully charged at around 4 o clock in the morning (~ 90% of the time), even though that's about 3 hours too early. So it's not working as intended.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Yes, of course. It does charge slowly and slowly down significantly, but if I go into the details, I can see that the phone has always reached 100% hours before I wake up.

Here are my last two days

P0_EP2FXSxxbhg4sZn5_bftBorXMg-zKBfDOuSWY8BNF418hiYMu2SZixm_7fBIML7Awdku4YPlfP73NtCiFVduEvckwypC7Ng37qMiCtJz9Yx6OqRxJxGsPOuBB9QHHHAdRIK0oKCWzQfQTOrVyeEGiAiT86fxy0CGZEysTTXfJ1ZWNg3gALEr8SYlB1B8kDbRC9EIQH2G_PPeEyZnncyYnjz-9ZcBiQARVOpRw4iBi4WmDjdvg0leTJOph8r6aHyPREEih54kJcW7mdabqO2YGhvflLw0ev3uXzGMtU30gVyTEvrrXP2KuPrpDCJYQnSH2oyT_HQs4Mh4WTadBGJoTzZmttGE1iZsybDlt5AO5kkBaOaHeihqYO9mwB5ApedPKzd8WerIi-zxz0ApGTjYy5j5HX3Xi35udpbqZBVgRMzvL7heWBZCawS4RrEzmALHs7FXJzJhmn8eZNVOrU0deFejuAGNuf1jfm0fHjpVdfRw8kLORfP2dZ2qARk4ZqOC8brX0xSQyYDcJmOjfSnOzyhuXq6BRs7QpS91WhbVUqqNMRKOwjjsjfSiT0nwTpfUWwO4HycejJKHmLcWC5I7B9KFkQokkC8lsOjyHM5PFLligvOv2FM_3Lpyb0ZabOnAslniJ-o5Z-gheloA_N_iXQQUQoiA7Wi6ugjO4LqZ-pPm15S0UfYTcQNG4yI_wjjQnGEJmVifr65sutV2ItGtHVA=w1440-h1230-no

HH-_vkeSuxywTJk_BdF35dv_aPcXBtthoUCSgUYW0yyM0Oi9oipaoJeh5Y6uE5MzUD58H4jeUYKfve5nZ656yHwm2m8Y93B-myGCL2kCnNKbHUDkVgUc6gKF4_pDOWlQIfyoSGhsd4UUmrkoTXIryynh5wANyEkwiTpZhW8MsFLWhuwCDRjwaPW_X7TDu3baJWkQbs9JihgAs21MTja7wwDVwurbfQPchc7Q7OWoEuNy3mOAgJUErHve5UmPXJnM1jQTCCLJatUrS6SMUKEoIFD4P54peSVh9epZ23MEdGprTjdTeSAhRyc8lpWVmy3VlrOTFQp2k08FItlBktQcF8dvEPdF4Ew5y5U4mWU_CTGIIeO0N0VBKfuta0x-FS3xs4UHEqBGKR27-g_G0sv_CkNOp1OFiBPbwE5aWzBGaC_Yxu27XMhxR-fH0wdvWHnUnzURJpOQmg23dqSOzSN4cURwPQN89ST4ufQ99n88pXvjLZ3n3i48PfHg4IMAeyrWi23QDo8ojt1InRDbvmp9qbgnj9VJ00s-RwQB7O15LmbO85Bv_vWGqqkc4jP9_SsAtccxP_K-K48F22ZOXoBis8U0hEnJDn092-8UpvQ9DhRW_n510bMVyNgof4cWtEgbI-iCdFxbIJlitENk6rFXaZnbJbZpf5Rmfw5gTJ5oqdOV4NY7Z78qAjzVaLTaRQ8vYVHEIt9CMV0kRWjlkiDB5cooUQ=w1440-h1265-no
As you can see, the phone has already reached 100% around 2-3 o clock in the night.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
As you can see, the phone has already reached 100% around 2-3 o clock in the night.
Interesting. And just double clarifying, you have adaptive charging on, not to be confused with adaptive battery.

It's been working pretty consistently for me. I even did a test where I set my phone to alarm at 8am but had my Nest Hub wake me up at 6am. The 6 Pro was at 90%.

diesteldorf

Nov 22, 2010
Just hoping for a little advice.....I signed up for Google One at $9.99 per month immediately before ordering my 512 GB Pixel 6 Pro to score $109.99 in store credit.

I'm hoping the credit posts by Black Friday, but I am contemplating getting the 2nd Generation Pixel Stand if it ever gets released.

I've never used wireless charging, sit at a desk or at home, and have never been bothered by plugging my phone in.

From a battery longevity standpoint, is the Pixel Stand going to have a negative impact over time? Is the battery going to get hot?

From a phone junky standpoint, I may upgrade in 1-3 years anyway, so it may not be a big deal.

For those that have used the Pixel Stand, did it really increase your appreciation of Pixel phones?

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Interesting. And just double clarifying, you have adaptive charging on, not to be confused with adaptive battery.

It's been working pretty consistently for me. I even did a test where I set my phone to alarm at 8am but had my Nest Hub wake me up at 6am. The 6 Pro was at 90%.
Yes, adaptive charging is on^^

Reactions: EeZeEpEe

KedarWolf

Apr 27, 2012
I've noticed at times that the phone is only charging at like 5-6 watts, even at something like 30-40% battery.
I'm not sure what causes that, but the charging watts fluctuates a lot.

How do you tell how many watts your charger is charging at? I want to test my Anker 15W Qi charger.

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
Lets all jump on the 'way back' machine. Since we're wishing, wish for the moon ! How about they give us a ( water tight ) snap off back cover ? We pop the cover and get at our removable/swappable battery. Is it a graphene battery yet ? Then also ( under the battery ) we gain access to the sim cad and the micro SD card. Wow their selling the 256 gigabyte size for 37 buck ! But did you notice their counting the ram in units of 1000 versus 1024. Lame marketing stunt.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I have reverted to a slow charger that delivers around 1.4A and combined with adaptive charging the phone never gets hot and takes hours to even get to 80% so perfect for overnight charging.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cami V.Community Manager
    11/18/21
    How charging works on Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro
    The Pixel 6 Series was designed to deliver battery life that lasts all day. Incorporating some of Pixel’s largest batteries encouraged upgrades to charging as well: from a user perspective, a bigger battery shouldn’t have to mean it takes longer to charge to 100%.
    Battery cell design determines the maximum charging power required for smartphones. A battery can be designed for high energy density, or for fast charging power capability, which requires trading off capacity to minimize battery degradation.
    Google has designed the high energy density cells in Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro to strike a balance between battery life, longevity and fast charging. Regardless of available power coming from the wall plug, the actual power delivered through a full charge cycle varies over the course of a single charge. The charge rate at any moment is based on factors such as battery cell and system design, temperature, system usage, and state of charge.
    We’ve optimized Pixel’s lithium-ion battery for high charge rates when the battery level is low. Pixel 6 can get up to 50% in around 30 minutes (with Google’s 30W USB-C Power Charger), and quickly reaches up to 80% in about an hour, depending on device usage and temperature.1 The peak power that Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro draw from the wired charger is 21W and 23W, respectively. As the battery gets closer to full, charging power is gradually reduced in order to improve battery longevity.

thread-135906719-3819305603872996858.gif

Pixel may also pause charging above 80% under certain conditions, and if you enable Adaptive Charging, Pixel can optimize charge rates for gradual overnight charging. Taken together, these approaches help you charge your Pixel quickly when the battery is low, but also help minimize degradation to preserve the lifespan of your battery.

Wired charging and wireless charging
    The Pixel 6/Pro is designed to work with existing USB PD and BC1.2 wall chargers. However, it can charge more efficiently with chargers like our 30W USB-C Power Adapter which supports the new USB PD 3.0 PPS standard.
    Wireless charging is typically less efficient, and is therefore slower, than wired charging. The new Pixel Stand was designed along with the 30W USB-C charger to enable fast, convenient wireless charging, with an active cooling fan to dissipate heat. Together, the new Pixel Stand and Google’s 30W USB-C Power Adapter can deliver the maximum power needed to charge the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro rapidly.

1 Charging testing conducted by Google in mid-2021 on pre-production hardware and software using default settings with the device powered on. Charging speed depends upon many factors including usage during charging, battery age and ambient temperature. Actual charging speed may be lower.
    For fairness’s sake, needs differentiate.

Some people want FULL POWER INSTA FULL WILL SWITCH PHONE IN 10 MONTH ANYWAY YOLO BATTERY HEALTH, GIMME 200 WATTS AS LONG AS IT DOESNT GO KABOOM WE GOOD

Then there are people like our roirraW "edor" ehT here that want to baby their battery (which makes a lot sense), so not too low, not too high - aaand as he said, everything in between.

What bothers me now is that Google doesn't give us a choice (I like that about Samsung in terms of charging).

Google should give us charging modes, like

1. FULL POWA!
    2. Adaptive, according to temps, wakeup timer, whatever
    3. Slow as heck, have fun using your phone next year

A choice is always better than none.

I - as an example - would like the automatic choice

Adaptive overnight + FULL POWA during the day.

- since I rarely chose to charge my phone "not" at night, that means IF I want to charge it during the day, it means I am running out and need quick juice. And in case I need quick juice, having some 10 Watt charging speeds with my 30 Watt charger, that would definitely infuriate me.

Is hasn't happened yet, since the battery is big and overnight is enough, but it could happen - and in that case, I want a good solution.
    By sheer chance, I decided to give the Google Play Store a look a few hrs ago & the latest model of the QI charging dock finally went into pre-order.
    Overpriced, you bet, but, I ordered one. I have yet to charge my Pixel 6 Pro w/nothing but a wireless dock (Samsung's latest) & it's sloooooow.
    Hopefully, Google's dock will improve upon that.
    I have reverted to a slow charger that delivers around 1.4A and combined with adaptive charging the phone never gets hot and takes hours to even get to 80% so perfect for overnight charging.