How do I install the January security update on a rooted, unlocked Nexus6p?

Search This thread

foomanjee

Mar 12, 2010
Hello, dumb question. Like the subject says, how do I flash the OTA update on my phone? When I try to do it via the phone (notification tray), it gives me an error after the attempted flash.

I assume I need to download the OTA somewhere and sideload it. Where can I get it? My current build number is MMB29M

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I assume I just flash the system.img from the latest factory image?

Last edited:

fury683

Dec 20, 2010
MSP
Easiest way would be to download the factory image, edit the flash-all.bat to remove the -w flag (this is what tells it to wipe userdata) and flash the factory image.

Once you've flashed and booted, install TWRP, then flash systemless root in TWRP. If you have Xposed installed currently, you don't need to change anything with Xposed or your modules, just flash the Xposed installer again once you've flash TWRP and rooted, all your modules will still be installed and working once you flash the Xposed zip from TWRP.

This is what I have done for each of the security updates each month. If you can stand to wait, the new one for February will probably come out in 2-3 weeks, so it might save you from doing the process twice in a short period of time.

If you remove that -w flag from the batch file, the whole update process takes about 30 minutes, depending on how many apps you have to wait for it to optimize after flashing.

anjelika

Jul 16, 2008
Easiest way would be to download the factory image, edit the flash-all.bat to remove the -w flag (this is what tells it to wipe userdata) and flash the factory image.

Once you've flashed and booted, install TWRP, then flash systemless root in TWRP. If you have Xposed installed currently, you don't need to change anything with Xposed or your modules, just flash the Xposed installer again once you've flash TWRP and rooted, all your modules will still be installed and working once you flash the Xposed zip from TWRP.

This is what I have done for each of the security updates each month. If you can stand to wait, the new one for February will probably come out in 2-3 weeks, so it might save you from doing the process twice in a short period of time.

If you remove that -w flag from the batch file, the whole update process takes about 30 minutes, depending on how many apps you have to wait for it to optimize after flashing.
That's what I am using right now. However, with each month's update this process will take a lot of time. What I want to try is to apply the OTA update (which has much less size in MBs). That will work much faster. The only problem is that by using TWRP you will get stuck in the recovery. Did you tried to write back the original recovery and then take the OTA? Are there any chances to work with a systemless root?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello, dumb question. Like the subject says, how do I flash the OTA update on my phone? When I try to do it via the phone (notification tray), it gives me an error after the attempted flash.

I assume I need to download the OTA somewhere and sideload it. Where can I get it? My current build number is MMB29M

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I assume I just flash the system.img from the latest factory image?
If only there was a guide pinned at the top of the general section...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3206928

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Reactions: brichardson1991

Top Liked Posts