How do I remove malware?

Search This thread

Moleculor

May 10, 2011
I don't own an Android phone (yet). A friend of mine does, and I'm the only person she knows who's even marginally familiar with Android.

She has this app on her phone (Ubersocial, not sure how it got there, sounds like it's NOT part of the standard bloatware package). If she uninstalls it, it reinstalls. If she unchecks 'allow updates', it rechecks the box.

Without rooting the phone, is there a way to remove it? I haven't actually physically looked at the device yet, and I've not used Android yet, so for all I know this is the dumbest question ever.

If I DO have to root the phone to remove it, when I root it, how do I ensure it's removed and gone?

I've been talking to others about the issue (on reddit, so replies are slow), and they suggested trying to identify which apk the app is. Is there a file browser on Android, or would I need to physically connect it to a computer. Can I browse it with just Windows Explorer, or is there a specific program I need?

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Factory Reset the device.

It can be done from within Android settings and will return the phone to a pristine state.