How do you use your Nexus 7 in 2021?

Search This thread

rvgsd

Sep 14, 2010
I had lost my N7 2013 about 5 years back when I moved to a new place. I randomly found it yesterday, and of course I jumped on here and flashed it with the latest LineageOS (18.1). These forums are awesome and covered all issues etc and process was smooth. So the tablet is alive again :).
The tablet is 16 GB, so not a whole lot of place by todays standard. So its not going to be my primary driver for my daily activities as I have another tablet for this, so I was wondering how people are using the N7 today? So thought it would be nice to check on here to see if there are any alternative interesting usecases !

stsaerox

Dec 15, 2012
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nintendo Switch
I had lost my N7 2013 about 5 years back when I moved to a new place. I randomly found it yesterday, and of course I jumped on here and flashed it with the latest LineageOS (18.1). These forums are awesome and covered all issues etc and process was smooth. So the tablet is alive again :).
The tablet is 16 GB, so not a whole lot of place by todays standard. So its not going to be my primary driver for my daily activities as I have another tablet for this, so I was wondering how people are using the N7 today? So thought it would be nice to check on here to see if there are any alternative interesting usecases !
I have nexus 7 LTE 32GB with the common hardware problem of digitizer randomly not working and screen rotation issues. I'm trying to reset it because it became too laggy... Once it was the faster device I had so lets see if my attemp to restore it will succeed....

Fox____

Nov 7, 2020
I have an old CD only stereo which had RCA input too, right now I am using it as a player with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter, it is working very well :)

It could be useful for running simple automated scripts if you are confortable with termux. It also has 5 Ghz wifi connection, so I guess it is not even that bad for downloading stuff.

NP08

Aug 10, 2011
I bought one used to use as a motorcycle GPS and Bluetooth music player. I adapted it to a phone holder that also serves as a wireless charger.
Pros: Bright, large screen, connects to BT helmet right away. My bike had an expensive OEM GPS optional unit that was only 5".

Cons- GPS totally unreliable. Difficulty acquiring and holding signal where other devices pick up right away. Apparently this was a common problem with them.

I'm going to try two things-
1. Lenonvo M7 Gen 3 7" tablet (no wireless charging), or
2. NC-105 external GPS receiver, connects via USB port.

The Nexus would be perfect for my needs if the GPS were reliable. The wireless charging has worked well on it while in the holder I modified. If I can get the USB GPS receiver to work with the Nexus, I'll likely return the Lenovo, although my mount has a USB charging option also.

Magister54

Dec 18, 2012
Montréal
i9100
Nexus 7 (2013)
For a few years it is now a "video tablet", on it there is Netflix, Disney+, Plex, Vimeo, MX Player, the local TVIP apps and others providers, etc and it is used to watch videos on it directly or broadcast to the TV on the wall (dumb TV with a chromecast).
Sometimes I fight with it because touchscreen or rotation is not working, as it does for almost 10 years now, I can now pry open it easily and reset cable in less than 1 minute :)