• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question How does the phone perform thermally and performance-wise?

Search This thread
I've read some really mixed opinions, some say that it doesn't throttle at all (but gets quite hot during use, and I consider that a good thing, heat gets distributed from the chipset quickly).
And some say that performance falls significantly after like 10 minutes of load and games start having lag spikes after that time.

Shawnvfx

Jul 24, 2021
It's a hot phone. I've updated from Huawei p30 pro and I found this Xperia 1 iii runs super hot and it's basically unusable without a case, and I needed to put it against an AC vent in my car from time to time to cool it off . Never had that issue with my Huawei.

Well I already found some great tests on Tech Nick channel. It's the chipset to blame for the heat.
But compared to other phones with same chipset, Sony is one of the best performers. It even beat Asus ROG phone in terms how quickly it launchesss apps, etc. (but not in some scores, probably some throttling to blame in long-term performance, but we are comparing it to a phone that is designed specifically for gaming.)

Last edited:

Shawnvfx

Jul 24, 2021
Well I already found some great tests on Tech Nick channel. It's the chipset to blame for the heat.
But compared to other phones with same chipset, Sony is one of the best performers. It even beat Asus ROG phone in terms how quickly it launchesss apps, etc. (but not in some scores, probably some throttling to blame in long-term performance, but we are comparing it to a phone that has a freaking fan.)
That I agree. It's fast. And it's beautifully designed overall.

Only thing now is none of the apps refresh in background. Like my gmail. Can't for the life of me figure what's wrong. Checked every box turned on all the background refresh settings in app or in phone settings. But still no luck.

Maybe I'll wait the US version ROM and flash the phone and see if it fixes the issue.

Other then that, great phone. I just wish it chargers quicker LOL. Only 30W

They should definitely fix the refresh thing, it's a major bug. Never experienced anything like this on olders Xperias with EU rom, probably CN one to blame.

Also, does the phone get really hot when charging like previous ones? And how much does HS power control help with this if I'm using a cpu-intensive app?
(It's in the Game Enhancer that can actually be used on any other app)

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
But compared to other phones with same chipset, Sony is one of the best performers. It even beat Asus ROG phone in terms how quickly it launchesss apps, etc. (but not in some scores, probably some throttling to blame in long-term performance, but we are comparing it to a phone that is designed specifically for gaming.)
Does tech nick test performance by processing video or testing fps while playing games or is he strictly one if those laughable channels that does app opening contests?

saved-j

Mar 13, 2015
Sanya
the phone gets hot, it's true.

one thing it tells us about is its heat dissipating efficiency.

as soon as it gets hot it starts getting rid of heat.

While it's not pleasant to hold a hot phone, it also means the phone is actively cooling down.

Reactions: kot5nik
Does tech nick test performance by processing video or testing fps while playing games or is he strictly one if those laughable channels that does app opening contests?
He did a video encoding test and Xperia won there. But no fps tests sadly. But I was not looking for them, because I do game eery mich on a phone, but I need to do heavy processing sometimes.

He did a video encoding test and Xperia won there. But no fps tests sadly. But I was not looking for them, because I do game eery mich on a phone, but I need to do heavy processing sometimes.
Oh, I forgot. He did FPS test on some popular games in his rewiew but no comparison. He got 60 in those games that were capped to that or solid 114 to 120 in uncapped ones.

I saw someone do fps with gendhin impact. It was hard to watch. It dropped down to 20 fps. Luckily with the game i play hours a day (call of duty) it rocked 120 fps consistently.
Maybe early firmware or it was really hot outside
I watched a video that uses specialized app to test for throttling - performance never dropped below 50% of max.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the phone gets hot, it's true.

one thing it tells us about is its heat dissipating efficiency.

as soon as it gets hot it starts getting rid of heat.

While it's not pleasant to hold a hot phone, it also means the phone is actively cooling down.