Question How factory reset without losing too much data?

Search This thread
Hi all,

My phone is quite slow nowadays and has an annoying 5 second freeze every time I wake it up.
As ColorIS 13 looks to be far away in Europe I really need to factory reset.
What's the best way to do this without losing everything in my System Clone?

And is there a tool (PC?) for Oppo phones to restore apps WITH data/settings included?

Reactions: galaxys

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Android loads can last for years, remain fast and stable if you don't do firmware upgrades/updates. Otherwise factory reset after an upgrade. Android loads can be exceptionally long lived if not screw up by the former or buggy 3rd party apps.
Try in safe mode to see if a 3rd party app(s) are the cause rather than the current core load settings.

Importing app settings even if possible invites the possibility of importing the current existing problems with it. Do a clean load if you go to the trouble of a factory reset. You should already have all critical data backed up redundantly and in order. Including backup exports for all apps that allow it especially Poweramp if you use it.
Make installable copies of all vetted apps for backup and reloads. No Playstore needed; reloads go much faster and smoother.
Use copy/paste file transfers backup and restores rather than automated transfer apps... they can cause data lose if you depend on them 100%.

Another option that's not as drastic is to reset all app settings to their default settings. It may or may not get it. It's always best to find to root cause of an issue if at all possible to prevent it from potentially reoccurring. Only a rootkit, dugged in malware or a boot loop demand a factory reset.

Reactions: galaxys
Unfortunately there are not many apps that provide a backup (like Nova launcher, Nights keeper etc).
That means that I would have to reconfigure dozens of apps, some of them being quite cumbersome like home automation apps.
You end up taking a few days to inventorize all settings, possible backups, passwords, accounts etc and configuring those apps again.
Google should implement the possibility to backup and restore data on an per-app basis like I used to be able to do with Titanium Backup :(

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Unfortunately there are not many apps that provide a backup (like Nova launcher, Nights keeper etc).
That means that I would have to reconfigure dozens of apps, some of them being quite cumbersome like home automation apps.
You end up taking a few days to inventorize all settings, possible backups, passwords, accounts etc and configuring those apps again.
Google should implement the possibility to backup and restore data on an per-app basis like I used to be able to do with Titanium Backup :(
Try temporarily disabling Nova launcher and see if that helps. Try using the native launcher instead. Target all apps that run at boot up. Launchers are some of the few apps that can boot loop an Android.

Any signs of system instability should be taken seriously as they are the only warning you may get before a boot loop.
After 2 back to bach boot loops and full reloads in 3 days I got very organized and proficient at it🤣 That was over 2.5 years ago, that's how long this load has been running on this heavily used N10+. Still running on Pie.

Reactions: latino147

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yesterday I cleared the caches of several apps and suddenly everything seems to be working fine again :)
Do you guys know if it's possible to clear ALL caches in one swoop?
Both ColorOS and the developer options don't seem to have such an option.
Sd Maid Pro can at least on Android 9 and 10.
It clips the app caches to 20kb I think it is. If you try to go to zero it will hang on the running apps. It does a nice clean up job on stock Androids and hasn't caused any critical data lose. Can't say the same about CCleaner🤣

Reactions: latino147

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @latino147 Swift Backup is pretty good at backing everything up, and with root can backup app data. Problem is, to attain root, you'll have to factory reset, which will wipe your data, and there's no way around that.
    Hi all,

My phone is quite slow nowadays and has an annoying 5 second freeze every time I wake it up.
    As ColorIS 13 looks to be far away in Europe I really need to factory reset.
    What's the best way to do this without losing everything in my System Clone?

And is there a tool (PC?) for Oppo phones to restore apps WITH data/settings included?
    Android loads can last for years, remain fast and stable if you don't do firmware upgrades/updates. Otherwise factory reset after an upgrade. Android loads can be exceptionally long lived if not screw up by the former or buggy 3rd party apps.
    Try in safe mode to see if a 3rd party app(s) are the cause rather than the current core load settings.

Importing app settings even if possible invites the possibility of importing the current existing problems with it. Do a clean load if you go to the trouble of a factory reset. You should already have all critical data backed up redundantly and in order. Including backup exports for all apps that allow it especially Poweramp if you use it.
    Make installable copies of all vetted apps for backup and reloads. No Playstore needed; reloads go much faster and smoother.
    Use copy/paste file transfers backup and restores rather than automated transfer apps... they can cause data lose if you depend on them 100%.

Another option that's not as drastic is to reset all app settings to their default settings. It may or may not get it. It's always best to find to root cause of an issue if at all possible to prevent it from potentially reoccurring. Only a rootkit, dugged in malware or a boot loop demand a factory reset.
    Try temporarily disabling Nova launcher and see if that helps. Try using the native launcher instead. Target all apps that run at boot up. Launchers are some of the few apps that can boot loop an Android.

Any signs of system instability should be taken seriously as they are the only warning you may get before a boot loop.
    After 2 back to bach boot loops and full reloads in 3 days I got very organized and proficient at it🤣 That was over 2.5 years ago, that's how long this load has been running on this heavily used N10+. Still running on Pie.