Question How I can obtain a firmware file for this device?

Search This thread

Josephdbrewer25

Aug 8, 2014
Bainbridge, ga
Hello all!

I have a question concerning a device, I have a Cricket Dream 5G and the device is completely bootloader unlocked. However, I'm trying to figure out how I can obtain a firmware file for the device seeing as the Carrier or manufacturer hasn't released one. It is a MediaTek device running the MT6833 and efforts to make a scatter file in order to read with SP Flash tools have been unsuccessful,

I've also attempted to download an OTA update and see if it saved the file locally, as well as packet dump the update process via Wireshark. No Cigar.. it appears to be in the Cache partition which isn't accessible without root (which cannot be obtained without running TWRP with the device being Android 11). does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get a copy of the system image or boot images for the use of making a working TWRP?

Thanks a lot!

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello all!

I have a question concerning a device, I have a Cricket Dream 5G and the device is completely bootloader unlocked. However, I'm trying to figure out how I can obtain a firmware file for the device seeing as the Carrier or manufacturer hasn't released one. It is a MediaTek device running the MT6833 and efforts to make a scatter file in order to read with SP Flash tools have been unsuccessful,

I've also attempted to download an OTA update and see if it saved the file locally, as well as packet dump the update process via Wireshark. No Cigar.. it appears to be in the Cache partition which isn't accessible without root (which cannot be obtained without running TWRP with the device being Android 11). does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get a copy of the system image or boot images for the use of making a working TWRP?

Thanks a lot!
It works for most of newer MediaTek devices, you could back up any partition from it https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient eventually you could root it too.
As per a TWRP for your device, you should try to build it from source or porting it from a similar device (system image not needed though) or wait for some developer to do it.

• Love
Reactions: Josephdbrewer25

Josephdbrewer25

Aug 8, 2014
Bainbridge, ga
It works for most of newer MediaTek devices, you could back up any partition from it https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient eventually you could root it too.
As per a TWRP for your device, you should try to build it from source or porting it from a similar device (system image not needed though) or wait for some developer to do it.
I've successfully backed up the device and gained root access. Thank you so much for recommending this tool. It worked, just voided my warranty lol. Had to disconnect the battery which requires taking apart the device

Josephdbrewer25

Aug 8, 2014
Bainbridge, ga
Also do you know where the stock recovery is located. I can't seem to find it anywhere, like it doesn't even exist.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I've successfully backed up the device and gained root access. Thank you so much for recommending this tool. It worked, just voided my warranty lol. Had to disconnect the battery which requires taking apart the device
Usually when a device's software had been modified, it may lose the warranty, or not, depending on what the "small" letters on a contract says, anyway, you could restore to its original state at any time, as you see in the need to claim it.

Normally, this tool works only installing the USDK64 drivers, and connecting device when power off, pressing the two volume buttons, I never need to open the back cover as MediaTek devices have the preloader mode, that it used by this tool to bypass the DA/SLAA protection, it does in the first stage the same thing that this tool does https://www.xda-developers.com/bypass-mediatek-sp-flash-tool-authentication-requirement/ but without the need to use SP Flash tool but reading/writing directly onto the device.
Also do you know where the stock recovery is located. I can't seem to find it anywhere, like it doesn't even exist.
Newer devices doesn't have a dedicated recovery partition.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Josephdbrewer25

Aug 8, 2014
Bainbridge, ga
Usually when a device's software had been modified, it may lose the warranty, or not, depending on what the "small" letters on a contract says, anyway, you could restore to its original state at any time, as you see in the need to claim it.

Normally, this tool works only installing the USDK64 drivers, and connecting device when power off, pressing the two volume buttons, I never need to open the back cover as MediaTek devices have the preloader mode, that it used by this tool to bypass the DA/SLAA protection, it does in the first stage the same thing that this tool does https://www.xda-developers.com/bypass-mediatek-sp-flash-tool-authentication-requirement/ but without the need to use SP Flash tool but reading/writing directly onto the device.

It wouldn't stay in preloader mode, after a few minutes it would just reboot. Disconnecting the battery worked.
As for the recovery, I know it doesn't have a partition but it's gotta be somewhere, right? I can boot into recovery. It's been awhile since I've dabbled in this. My last phone I rooted was the Moto X 1st gen 😂 but to build twrp I need the stock recovery, right? I've seen on the net it's in the boot.img but I've yet to see it.

Josephdbrewer25

Aug 8, 2014
Bainbridge, ga
It wouldn't stay in preloader mode, after a few minutes it would just reboot. Disconnecting the battery worked.
As for the recovery, I know it doesn't have a partition but it's gotta be somewhere, right? I can boot into recovery. It's been awhile since I've dabbled in this. My last phone I rooted was the Moto X 1st gen 😂 but to build twrp I need the stock recovery, right? I've seen on the net it's in the boot.img but I've yet to see it.
My device is the Cricket Dream 5G EC211001. It's weird

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
It doesn't really need to stay in preloader, this is the whole purpose of this tool, preloader is, actually, useless for flashing, when you press the two volume buttons, the device enters to preloader mode

PRELOADER.png

if you installed correctly the drivers, then, mtkclient detects the device, in the short time, and make it return to BROM mode through a handshake, to bypass the DA/SLAA authorization,

BROM.png

BROM mode is disabled by OEMs, similarly to EDL point, without this kind of tool, no more remedy that opening the back cover.

Moto 1st gen, it's a long time ago. It is placed in a tiny portion of the ramdisk, but you don't need to find where’s located.
If you think to port it, actually is not as easy due to newer implementations, A/B slots, virtual slots, a way to fix it permanently, etc., but basically what you need is in the boot image

Reactions: Josephdbrewer25

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all!

Thanks a lot!

It doesn't really need to stay in preloader, this is the whole purpose of this tool, preloader is, actually, useless for flashing, when you press the two volume buttons, the device enters to preloader mode

PRELOADER.png

if you installed correctly the drivers, then, mtkclient detects the device, in the short time, and make it return to BROM mode through a handshake, to bypass the DA/SLAA authorization,

BROM.png

BROM mode is disabled by OEMs, similarly to EDL point, without this kind of tool, no more remedy that opening the back cover.

Moto 1st gen, it's a long time ago. It is placed in a tiny portion of the ramdisk, but you don't need to find where’s located.
    If you think to port it, actually is not as easy due to newer implementations, A/B slots, virtual slots, a way to fix it permanently, etc., but basically what you need is in the boot image