How I finally fixed the "can't connect to camera" issue on my THL w100

Search This thread

Barony

Jan 16, 2014
I have the same sn but my fw version is ThL.W100.130912.JBV2.QHD.EN.COM.V01.8P32_V01_MT6589... I have not "2" at the end. Is your version an update? where do i find it? can you give me the link? thanks

Hello

You're right, the version has no "2" at the end.
I fooled myself whilst typing.

Sorry for the mistake, since corrected the mesnagem.

Sincerely

Guigui96

Dec 3, 2013
Good job ... Guigui96, :good:

Hello, I'm Portuguese, sorry for my english.
I have a THL W100 with s/n CFYSGM4W, and had the same problem with the camera ... "can not connect to the camera".
I already had done many experiments, but no results.
I made many donwload on the Net, and I install many rom's on my phone, but no one put the camara worked.
I installed this version "ThL.W100.130912.JBV2.QHD.EN.COM.V01.8P32_V01_MT65892", and with your precious help...
VOULA....
Everything works, the camera to.

Thank you for sharing with us.

:D

So I understand at the end, my camera fix was the thing that fixed your camera?

leac

Jan 19, 2014
Hi Gideon

I would like to talk to you via private messages in this system. Is that possible?

Hannah

octavia

Oct 6, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
My problem with the camera is partially solved but it's not a hardware solution (I think). I flashed ThL.W200.130817.JBV2.HD.EN.RU.COM.8P64_MT6589T(zound v.1.5), which gives me the option to Hot Boot, every time I restart my phone with this method, the camara works fine. If I start or restart the phone normally, the camera does not work. Occasionally I have to hot boot the phone but that does it since I don't have the know-how (or tools) to modify my phone.

EDIT:
NEVERMIND, that didn't work after a while. I tried your way and it worked perfectly. Thank you!!!!!

UPDATE: After working for a couple of weeks, the camera stopped working for good. I tried different degrees of preassure on the camera but no luck at all. It's a shame because it's a good phone otherwise.

Last edited:

Guigui96

Dec 3, 2013
My problem with the camera is partially solved but it's not a hardware solution (I think). I flashed ThL.W200.130817.JBV2.HD.EN.RU.COM.8P64_MT6589T(zound v.1.5), which gives me the option to Hot Boot, every time I restart my phone with this method, the camara works fine. If I start or restart the phone normally, the camera does not work. Ocassionally I have to hot boot the phone but that does it since I don't have the know-how (or tools) to momdify my phone.

EDIT:
NEVERMIND, that didn't work after a while. I tried your way and it worked perfectly. Thank you!!!!!

Glad to hear it ;)

MateusLeo

Apr 27, 2012
I had the same issue, my w100 serial number starts with CFY... I opened it and did the same thing you said, but before re-assembling it i made pressure on the connector with my finger to see if it was going to work and it did. After it was re-assembled, with sillver tape taped to the plastic to make pressure on the cable, it didnt work, i tried again making pressure but it didnt work anyway, i guess my connector is totally screwed up =(

accorinti

Mar 12, 2014
Tried the procedure, no luck :( Other ideas?

I tried to fix the cam, I opened my phone twice and made the stickers thicker, no luck, sometime a get a green image, sometime "cant connect to camera'.
Strange thing is, there is even no symbol for switching to the front cam, it would be at least something...

Do you guys have other Idea how to fix this?

THX

Best

AgObaBa

Mar 28, 2014
Hello Gideon,

I did the steps that you suggested here, and at the beginning the camera worked for a while, but to the end of the day it gave the same error. So the next day I put some more paper, because I thought that the paper did not push enough the connector. Same: worked for a while then stopped. Also, it started to give me a green screen once, then the error again.

I also read the "charging cable" idea, I tried to find out whether the cable causes the camera problem or not, but I could not figure it out.

For some days the camera does not work at all.

Do you have some idea what I could do wrong or what I shoud do differently to make it work?

Thank you for your reply in advance.
Cheers,
Ágota

nitalium

Oct 22, 2013
I have the same problem with the camera. I thought that it has to do something with the ROM because I have MIUI on my THL W200.
It also gives the error most of the time. Sometimes even after few restarts it still does not work. Sometimes it gives the green image only and it is possible to take photos blindly, which is not very helpful. I will try the methods described in this post tonight and post my experience soon.
Good luck everybody!

glya1

Jun 8, 2013
Reason of problem "can't connect to camera"

Dear friends, i wanna share my experience which this camera problem of the THL W100 / W100S .
I have some electronic experience :) and i wanted to figure out what is the real probem of this issue.
Fortunately i had 2 THL W100 cellphones so i could exchange the parts from one to the other.
Summarized the reason of the message "can't connect to camera" is bad solder connection of the FRONT camera.
The manufacturer had used to less solder paste so the contacts of the SMT connector is not properly mould with tin.
After resoldering the contacts under the microscope the camera works well, regardless which firmware is loaded.
Please be careful when soldering and take care to do this with ESD protection. I hope to help you with this hint.

Attachments

• IMG_001s.JPG
    IMG_001s.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1,850
  • IMG_002s.JPG
    IMG_002s.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,745
Reactions: E:V:A

estherilla

May 1, 2014
how can I make it?

please!!
Can you spell out how can we make the resoldering?
I'm sure everyones will be so so gratefull with you if you make a little tutorial about this method.

I have no electronic experience, and when I opened my cell, I dont watch the connectios which are shown in your picture. :crying: I only see a black connection plate.

I have put on the connections the pillows twice, and the mistakes appears another time, after some days.

I hope your explain, pleaseeee

glya1

Jun 8, 2013
Resoldering instructions

Dear friend,

if you have no electronic equipment for resoldering SMT parts inclusive ESD protection i highly recommend NOT to resolder the connection points. Otherways you damage other parts too. Note that the space between each pin is only 0.1mm .
The connectors of the camera can only be seen if the middle case is removed incl. the 10 screws.

Greetings glya1

please!!
Can you spell out how can we make the resoldering?
I'm sure everyones will be so so gratefull with you if you make a little tutorial about this method.

I have no electronic experience, and when I opened my cell, I dont watch the connectios which are shown in your picture. :crying: I only see a black connection plate.

I have put on the connections the pillows twice, and the mistakes appears another time, after some days.

I hope your explain, pleaseeee

mailow

Jul 2, 2010
Dear friends, i wanna share my experience which this camera problem of the THL W100 / W100S .
I have some electronic experience :) and i wanted to figure out what is the real probem of this issue.
Fortunately i had 2 THL W100 cellphones so i could exchange the parts from one to the other.
Summarized the reason of the message "can't connect to camera" is bad solder connection of the FRONT camera.
The manufacturer had used to less solder paste so the contacts of the SMT connector is not properly mould with tin.
After resoldering the contacts under the microscope the camera works well, regardless which firmware is loaded.
Please be careful when soldering and take care to do this with ESD protection. I hope to help you with this hint.

Could you specific connector? According your photo i looks like camera connector or is it connector on the motherboard?

Thank you

Sinek28

May 31, 2014
I fixed the camera and thank you for help :]....but there is another problem,when camera finally was fixed now is the problem that there is no sound,and the microphone dont work....when someone calls me I hear but that person dont hear me...:/// If someone knows hoe to solve this problem I'll ne verry grateful :3
Cheers

serak_hd2

Oct 12, 2010
front Camera disable

If Problem makes bad solder connection of the FRONT camera, is any way to software disable (undefine) front camera device, to make it for android invisible? Not defined in system => not tested by app => no more "can't connect to camera" issue.

Last edited:

glya1

Jun 8, 2013
Connector spare parts

Could you specific connector? According your photo i looks like camera connector or is it connector on the motherboard?

Thank you

Hi friend, you are right it's the connector of the camera. If you need a new one let me know, I have some parts received for repairing defect connections

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

If Problem makes bad solder connection of the FRONT camera, is any way to software disable (undefine) front camera device, to make it for android invisible? Not defined in system => not tested by app => no more "can't connect to camera" issue.

Hi friend, I have tried to do this by booting into factory mode. If you disconnect the non working camera and than make first time test of the working than you could skip the error message in normal operating mode. Please note that Android store the last state of the connected peripheral devices so it is necessary to make a factory reset before detecting the new environment.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sometime ago after purchasing a new W100 (THL),
    I started having the "can't connect to the camera" message.

It has been debated widely over the different forums, and was always associated to ROM, software, permissions issues and such.

First, I'd like to say that this phone is fantastic value for money.

The other day, after trying numerous roms, and permission fixes, and with no luck,
    I was playing with the charger cable (while connected), while the camera app was working.

I noticed that fidgeting around with the cable had influence on the app, freezing it at times, making the camera input flicker etc.

I knew right then, this was a connector issue, hardware, rather then something else.

I immediately decided to abandon the "warranty" procedure and take it apart to find the problem.

There is a little rectangular sponge which was right above the connector, but apparently was not pressing it enough,
    so I attached 3-4 little squares of thin cardboard (really thin), in the same size of the sponge.

Re-assembled the phone, and voila!, works like a charm ever since!

I will post some photos later, if someone wishes, but the phone has been working for some time now, with no problems what so ever.

So that's it,
    the mysterious "can't connect" issue, SOLVED,
    at least for me, and to another phone I had ordered which had the same problem (also THL w100).

Gideon.
    Added photos of repair

here are the pics as promised...

hope this is helpful:

first, the connector:
    connector.jpg

now, both the little thin cardboard pieces and
    the sponge which should be pressing enough on the connector:

extra-thickener-and-sponge.jpg

pieces applied with a little snippet of clear duct tape:
    thickener-applied.jpg

the outcome - u can see the shape of the plastic where the flesh is, bent a little upwards as a result:
    shape-after-fix.jpg
    I thought I shared my experience in fixing my THL W200.

In the first picture, I removed all the screws and start plying open the casing.
    It's tough to ply open the casing. A combination of flat head screw driver and finger nail.
    The plastic edges were damaged in the process by the screw driver.

In the second picture, you will see my camera connector.

In the third picture, I cut a small slab from those 3M stick-on-wall sticker and paste it on my casing.
    It's quite thick. I mount my casing back. I tested the camera with the casing half mounted.
    I wanted to make sure it worked before I mount the casing fully back.
    The removing of the casing was quite troublesome.
    You also see the power and volume button in the picture.

My observation so far.
    The casing is slightly arched like what Gideon has mentioned. The camera works without failure.

But when I put back my sim card, my camera works on and off. Most of the time it works.
    I believe it's because the contact point of the sim card is on the motherboard while the end of sim card is on the plastic casing.
    This possibly creates a small gap between my sticker and the camera connector.

Possible solution.
    Cut my sim card or cut the plastic casing.
    Tank you so much, for fix the camera for my w100. I folow this steps and fix my phone

It has been debated widely over the different forums, and was always associated to ROM, software, permissions issues and such.

The other day, after trying numerous roms, and permission fixes, and with no luck,
    I was playing with the charger cable (while connected), while the camera app was working.

I noticed that fidgeting around with the cable had influence on the app, freezing it at times, making the camera input flicker etc.

I knew right then, this was a connector issue, hardware, rather then something else.

I immediately decided to abandon the "warranty" procedure and take it apart to find the problem.

There is a little rectangular sponge which was right above the connector, but apparently was not pressing it enough,
    so I attached 3-4 little squares of thin cardboard (really thin), in the same size of the sponge.

I will post some photos later, if someone wishes, but the phone has been working for some time now, with no problems what so ever.

So that's it,
    at least for me, and to another phone I had ordered which had the same problem (also THL w100).

Gideon.

Tanks so much, for fix the camera for my w100. I folow this steps and fix my phone, it´s very easy and works.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

So that's it,

Gideon.

If by playing around with the USB connection it works, then I would presume you have the same problem as me...,
    and the connector is is troublesome.

I have the same model and folow the steps of Guideon, but i don´t use paper i used tape doble face and work perfetly the camera.
    Reason of problem "can't connect to camera"