Question How I get excellent battery life

Search This thread

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
First open settings and turn on wifi calling. Then create the two Bixby Routines below and put the widgets on your home screen. Use the first one whenever you're home or at work (anyplace with wifi) and use the second one when away from wifi. SMS still works with wifi calling.
I'm getting 5 hours screen on time with 50% battery left with about 70/30% unfolded/folded.

I'd like to trigger these routines automatically without leaving GPS on so if anyone knows how let me know.

SmartSelect_20220829_003900_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:

eswar539

Dec 8, 2012
Z Fold 4
90% big screen use. I just removed all the bloatware including bixby. So i would say with or without those routine! same sot? No?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220829_175522_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20220829_175522_Device care.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 804

enjoylife1788

Mar 9, 2009
Mumbai
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
First open settings and turn on wifi calling. Then create the two Bixby Routines below and put the widgets on your home screen. Use the first one whenever you're home or at work (anyplace with wifi) and use the second one when away from wifi.
I'm getting 5 hours screen on time with 50% battery left with about 70/30% unfolded/folded.

View attachment 5699267
For me for some reason it doesn't start wifi calling and just keep wifi on. I remember it used to work with my old note 20 ultra.

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
90% big screen use. I just removed all the bloatware including bixby. So i would say with or without those routine! same sot? No?

That's pretty good. Add the routines and get even better battery life. Here's what I have:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220829_065710_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20220829_065710_Device care.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 611
First open settings and turn on wifi calling. Then create the two Bixby Routines below and put the widgets on your home screen. Use the first one whenever you're home or at work (anyplace with wifi) and use the second one when away from wifi. SMS still works with wifi calling.

I'd like to trigger these routines automatically without leaving GPS on so if anyone knows how let me know.

View attachment 5699267
Question, for your routines your have setup do you have the reverse actions option turned off?

Another question, there are only 4 locations for which I connect to WiFi, do you think it's better to automate these results based on location so you don't forget to activate one or the other?

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
Question, for your routines your have setup do you have the reverse actions option turned off?

Another question, there are only 4 locations for which I connect to WiFi, do you think it's better to automate these results based on location so you don't forget to activate one or the other?
I have reverse actions off.
I wanted to automate it based on location but the only way I could see to do this is to have GPS on constantly which uses a lot of battery. I just use the 1x1 widgets on my home screen and so far it works well between work and home.

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
Do you have any recommendations for gps setup so I can have apps like camera and maps use GPS though it's turned off by default. I tried a couple configurations but none that will actually turn on location for those apps and turn it off when done.
I have a routine setup to turn on GPS when I open Google Maps and turn off when I close/switch apps or go back to the home screen. This should work for other apps.
Screenshot_20220905_201841_Bixby Routines.jpg

Elusivity

Sep 6, 2022

View attachment 5699267
Thanks for your post, after a bit of searching I've got this setup which I think solves your issue, or at least it does for me. Granted only did this a few hours ago so I can't tell if gps or wifi always on is a better battery saver.

Firstly as per URL I changed airplane mode to leave wifi on while disabling cell connectivity, for whatever reason on my phone it doesn't want to keep BT on even specifying cell as the only option to turn off when flight mode is enabled, so as per the screenshot I have Bixby Routines turn it back on after 2 secs.

Then you just setup based on Home Wifi connectivity rather than GPS, so you save battery life, ofc wifi will still be on which may or may not use more power, but as stated before have yet to test this.

Home Wifi 001.png

Reactions: bryanhayn

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
^I tried that and a few similar routines triggered by wifi connection status but it doesn't work. It will either go into a continuous loop of wifi on/off or airplane on/off. It seems the only way to completely kill the cell connection and auto enable wifi is to use GPS (or other trigger not involving wifi or airplane mode).

A new revelilizarion accorded when using the Wifi/Cell Only setup. When I'm on WiFi and Mobile data is disabled I don't receive any text messages until I switch to Cell Only. I blame those iPhone users in my family. Is there any modification I can use to ensure I get text messages or is it more so I would have to check here and there by switching settings to see if I have any new messages (voicemail too)?

Bigmille

May 23, 2008
London
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Do you need to put those apps in deep sleeping section into the sleeping group. Those apps put in Deeping sleeping list still shows up in the sleeping list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907_142219_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20220907_142219_Device care.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 136

Elusivity

Sep 6, 2022
^I tried that and a few similar routines triggered by wifi connection status but it doesn't work. It will either go into a continuous loop of wifi on/off or airplane on/off. It seems the only way to completely kill the cell connection and auto enable wifi is to use GPS (or other trigger not involving wifi or airplane mode).
Even after setting "settings put global airplane_mode_radios cell" via adb to change what flight mode actually does?

I initially had the same issue where wifi connecting was triggering flight mode which would then drop wifi which would turn back on and restart the loop, the config change above fixed that.

That I still have the issue where flight mode is still setting bt off and need to set a task to turn it back on. Perhaps you could try another combo, like "settings put global airplane_mode_radios cell,wimax" and see if that'll allow it to work as expected?

Elusivity

Sep 6, 2022
A new revelilizarion accorded when using the Wifi/Cell Only setup. When I'm on WiFi and Mobile data is disabled I don't receive any text messages until I switch to Cell Only. I blame those iPhone users in my family. Is there any modification I can use to ensure I get text messages or is it more so I would have to check here and there by switching settings to see if I have any new messages (voicemail too)?
Your carrier needs to support Wifi Calling and SMS delivery via IMS, your phone needs to have Wifi calling enabled... by the sounds of it one of these may not be the case.

Edit: Some light reading to help explain a bit better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multimedia_Subsystem

I have iPhone family members and I get their texts with data off and wifi only

Your carrier needs to support Wifi Calling and SMS delivery via IMS, your phone needs to have Wifi calling enabled... by the sounds of it one of these may not be the case.

Edit: Some light reading to help explain a bit better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multimedia_Subsystem
I have Verizon Wireless for my carrier and wifi calling is activated on my Fold 4. Simply don't seem to come through when I have data disabled, which wierd. Never had the problem before this phone.

I have Verizon Wireless for my carrier and wifi calling is activated on my Fold 4. Simply don't seem to come through when I have data disabled, which wierd. Never had the problem before this phone.
Further discovers, the issue arrives when I'm in a group chat with a couple people. By default messages are sent as a MMS. I can switch it to SMS, however the replies in the group messages will not come back in the same group chat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SmartSelect_20220829_003900_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Do you have a list of all apps that we can remove safely?
    Could you please help by sharing how and which applications you removed?

View attachment 5699267
    Thanks for your post, after a bit of searching I've got this setup which I think solves your issue, or at least it does for me. Granted only did this a few hours ago so I can't tell if gps or wifi always on is a better battery saver.

Firstly as per URL I changed airplane mode to leave wifi on while disabling cell connectivity, for whatever reason on my phone it doesn't want to keep BT on even specifying cell as the only option to turn off when flight mode is enabled, so as per the screenshot I have Bixby Routines turn it back on after 2 secs.

Then you just setup based on Home Wifi connectivity rather than GPS, so you save battery life, ofc wifi will still be on which may or may not use more power, but as stated before have yet to test this.

Home Wifi 001.png
    No worries. Thanks for all your help up to this point with improving battery life. I have one last inquiry (for now). Are you using the standard power profile or light profile for your Fold 4?
    A new revelation has been discovered. It's not my carrier blocking MMS over WiFi, it's Google Messages. When I tested the theory with Samsung Messages and Verizon Messages, there was no issues sending MMS when mobile data is disabled.

Guess I have to switch to good ole Samsung Messaging for now.