How I rooted my Huawei P10 late 2018 (cost €4)

Search This thread

Jyndon

Mar 18, 2018
Here's just a quick guide of how I just successfully rooted my P10 (from android nougat)
Use this file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c1iQBvvP7zTUiKz5PZmlJUH5DKBxxC3L)
It has everything you need inside in one package. (I havent anything to do with the development of any of the tools, this is just my compilement of them)

1. BACK UP
Back up everything you can on you phone to your pc

2.Drivers
Easiest was is to install Huawei's HuSuite otherwise do a manual driver install

3.Get bootloader unlock code
This will cost 4eur but is now the only way to get the code since Huawei stopped providing the codes. I can verify DC unlocker are legit, their tools are scary powerful and well worth the cost. Follow the below tutorial for this.
https://www.dc-unlocker.com/how-to-read-huawei-bootloader-unlock-code

4.Unlock the bootloader
On the phone enable developer mode (look this up its easy) and enable usb debugging and oem unlock. Then plug the phone into your pc and run cmd.exe inside the set folder. Enter the command without quotes "adb reboot bootloader". This will restart the phone in bootloader mode. Next enter the command "fastboot oem unlock CODE" with your code that you got from dc unlocker. This will restart the phone from factory so you will need to do a quick set up and enable developer settings and usb debigging again.

5. Installing custom recovery
Enter the bootloader mode again with "adb reboot bootloader". Then from the bootloader mode enter the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-vtr.img" this will install twrp recovery.

6. Installing Magisk root
Copy the zip file Magisk-v17.1.zip onto an sd card and insert into the phone.
Restart the phone into system again and use "adb reboot recovery". This will start the phone into twrp recovery mode. From here go to install, navigate to the zip and install it.

7.Finishing
Then boot the phone and Magisk manager should be installed on your now rooted phone for managing you super user and root.

Any questions or help needed message me, or my email is in my set folder.

Last edited:

Paget96

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac
@Jyndon use MEGA or zip files and attach it to the thread. People won't download from this, since they need premium feature to download folder.

Reactions: Jyndon

qlong1505

Oct 28, 2013
What is Android version on your P10? My one is Oreo 8.0 and DC-Unlocker did not work. It showed "unknown error 375"

velvel

Sep 1, 2009
Ottawa
What is Android version on your P10? My one is Oreo 8.0 and DC-Unlocker did not work. It showed "unknown error 375"

I think we are out of luck :( I was just asked for 30 euros to get the bootloader unlocked as I am also on 8.0
On DC-Unlocker page it says:
Huawei P10 VTR-xxx upgraded to Android 8x not supported
Huawei P10 plus VKY-xxx upgraded to Android 8x not supported

Not sure if downgrading and then unlocking would make sense...

Last edited:

D@vide

Dec 27, 2005
here
I think we are out of luck :( I was just asked for 30 euros to get the bootloader unlocked as I am also on 8.0

Hi,

it's possible downgrading to previous version or to Nougat without unlocking bootloader first? Pheraps you mean forcing update via microsd slot?
Thank you

D@vid

velvel

Sep 1, 2009
Ottawa
Hi,
it's possible downgrading to previous version or to Nougat without unlocking bootloader first? Pheraps you mean forcing update via microsd slot?
Thank you
D@vid
Here is what I know so far:
1. You do not necessary to be on Nougat to unlock the bootloader, you should be able to unlock it if your firmware is before June patch
2. If you are on firmware after June patch, you would first need to rollback/downgrade to pre June firmware by finding previous firmware
3. Rolling back from after June patch to previous firmware might brick your phone
Currently, I did not find a way to unlock the bootloader on C654B327 as I cannot find any pre June firmware for my branding (C654) and rebranding to some other (C432) cannot be done without unlocked bootloader. And so far I did not hear of anyone downgrading and unlocking from C654B327 so I am a bit afraid I could brick my phone.
Guess I will wait and see if there are any good news in the future...

Jyndon

Mar 18, 2018

I'm not suggesting to unlock the bootloader with DC, you should be able to do that normally with adb the same as you would on nougat

Jyndon

Mar 18, 2018

I was on nougat when I wrote this guide. Maybe try rolling back to android 7.0 to get the bootloader code then upgrade again after. To do this I'm assuming you might be able to use some dload method perhaps.

D@vide

Dec 27, 2005
here
I was on nougat when I wrote this guide. Maybe try rolling back to android 7.0 to get the bootloader code then upgrade again after. To do this I'm assuming you might be able to use some dload method perhaps.

True, if he hasn't latest security patch installed. With patch from Dec 2018 it seems that Huawei introduced something new so you can't roll back even with dload method

Jyndon

Mar 18, 2018
True, if he hasn't latest security patch installed. With patch from Dec 2018 it seems that Huawei introduced something new so you can't roll back even with dload method

In that case you could always send an email to DC to see if they are working to update it to work for 8.0. They seem pretty helpful and responsive from when I've contacted them before so I'm sure they might be able to offer some information.

D@vide

Dec 27, 2005
here
In that case you could always send an email to DC to see if they are working to update it to work for 8.0. They seem pretty helpful and responsive from when I've contacted them before so I'm sure they might be able to offer some information.

Yes, I did it, but cusromers sevice told to me that they have no plan about supporting new security patch :(

rymcio80

Oct 21, 2013

hi,

I tought so but I did downgrading with HiSuite and then locked all requirements for DC Unlocker and I've got my bootloader unlock code now to do anything !!!! :) :)
It took a while and lot of nerves but at the end you should do step by step all points which was mentioned in the begining of this thread.

in case of dc-unlocker problems try to use other usb port (other than usually you use for connecting the phone to computer)

D@vide

Dec 27, 2005
here
hi,

I tought so but I did downgrading with HiSuite and then locked all requirements for DC Unlocker and I've got my bootloader unlock code now to do anything !!!! :) :)
It took a while and lot of nerves but at the end you should do step by step all points which was mentioned in the begining of this thread.

in case of dc-unlocker problems try to use other usb port (other than usually you use for connecting the phone to computer)

Hello,

Hisuite method does not work with latest firmware/security patch. Tried many times, but no option to downgrade appears. It looks like Huawei would prevents to let us downgrade as they stated.

rymcio80

Oct 21, 2013
Hello,

Hisuite method does not work with latest firmware/security patch. Tried many times, but no option to downgrade appears. It looks like Huawei would prevents to let us downgrade as they stated.

yes unfortunatelly you are right , i checked and there is no option any more for downgrading to Nougat from B365 in my case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's just a quick guide of how I just successfully rooted my P10 (from android nougat)
    Use this file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c1iQBvvP7zTUiKz5PZmlJUH5DKBxxC3L)
    It has everything you need inside in one package. (I havent anything to do with the development of any of the tools, this is just my compilement of them)

1. BACK UP
    Back up everything you can on you phone to your pc

2.Drivers
    Easiest was is to install Huawei's HuSuite otherwise do a manual driver install

3.Get bootloader unlock code
    This will cost 4eur but is now the only way to get the code since Huawei stopped providing the codes. I can verify DC unlocker are legit, their tools are scary powerful and well worth the cost. Follow the below tutorial for this.
    https://www.dc-unlocker.com/how-to-read-huawei-bootloader-unlock-code

4.Unlock the bootloader
    On the phone enable developer mode (look this up its easy) and enable usb debugging and oem unlock. Then plug the phone into your pc and run cmd.exe inside the set folder. Enter the command without quotes "adb reboot bootloader". This will restart the phone in bootloader mode. Next enter the command "fastboot oem unlock CODE" with your code that you got from dc unlocker. This will restart the phone from factory so you will need to do a quick set up and enable developer settings and usb debigging again.

5. Installing custom recovery
    Enter the bootloader mode again with "adb reboot bootloader". Then from the bootloader mode enter the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-vtr.img" this will install twrp recovery.

6. Installing Magisk root
    Copy the zip file Magisk-v17.1.zip onto an sd card and insert into the phone.
    Restart the phone into system again and use "adb reboot recovery". This will start the phone into twrp recovery mode. From here go to install, navigate to the zip and install it.

7.Finishing
    Then boot the phone and Magisk manager should be installed on your now rooted phone for managing you super user and root.

Any questions or help needed message me, or my email is in my set folder.
    @Jyndon use MEGA or zip files and attach it to the thread. People won't download from this, since they need premium feature to download folder.
    Hey guys,

any news on donwgrading via HiSuite? I have the latest HiSuite-Version ready but I do not have to option of rolling back.
    I also read that bricking the device is lickely when going from oreo to nougat?

It is not possible. I tried. a lot of times. But downgrading keeps failing. but it is not bricked

Its always possible to unbrick via eRecovery, by downloading firmware through wifi.
    Hey guys, my BL is unlocked but I after officially 9.1 updates my magisk root is uninstalled, is there custom recovery for Android 9.1 like twrp? I had no luck with flashing the patched boot image from magisk thru fastboot. Any help is appreciated.

I dont know the right steps but you need to flash a patched recovery_ramdisk.IMG