How I Rooted Walmart Onn Tablets (No TWRP Needed)

Search This thread

gathner

Feb 11, 2021
I am trying to install the drivers to get my computer to recognize my device in fastboot mode and I keep getting the error;

"The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering".

I am assuming that this is the security check but if it is then I don't understand why I am still getting this error since I disabled it using the cmd command given in the instructions. If anybody has any help that they can provide me with to get past this point would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am using windows 10 trying to connect to the Onn 8" Pro tablet 100003561.

zodiacles

Feb 10, 2021
Also, I am using windows 10 trying to connect to the Onn 8" Pro tablet 100003561.

There's your problem right there :)

All kidding aside, I have always found it to be MUCH easier using a linux system for this sort of tinkering. Everything just (usually) works, whereas with windows each step of the process tends to become another project/problem itself.

skeffa

Feb 13, 2021
I am trying to install the drivers to get my computer to recognize my device in fastboot mode and I keep getting the error;

"The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering".

I am assuming that this is the security check but if it is then I don't understand why I am still getting this error since I disabled it using the cmd command given in the instructions. If anybody has any help that they can provide me with to get past this point would be greatly appreciated.

use windows update to update the drivers , theyre located in the optional updates section. i had same problem and this quickly solved driver issue

Reactions: gathner

gathner

Feb 11, 2021
use windows update to update the drivers , theyre located in the optional updates section. i had same problem and this quickly solved driver issue
I was able to finally get the drivers downloaded but i still can't get my device recognized when i type "fastboot devices" into cmd.

skeffa

Feb 13, 2021
downloading the drivers linked in the thread would not work for me.
i searched with windows update and these were the three it wanted to download

MediaTek - Other hardware - Android ADB Interface
*LeMobile - Other hardware - Android Bootloader Interface
*LeMobile - Other hardware - Android ADB Recovery Interface
*unsure if these are even related to the situation. they may be for a 2nd device
does it read your device thru adb sideload via recovery mode?

downloading the drivers linked in the thread would not work for me.
i searched with windows update and these were the three it wanted to download

MediaTek - Other hardware - Android ADB Interface
*LeMobile - Other hardware - Android Bootloader Interface
*LeMobile - Other hardware - Android ADB Recovery Interface
*unsure if these are even related to the situation. they may be for a 2nd device
does it read your device thru adb sideload via recovery mode?

the whole idea is to find a driver that I will allow for the device to show up under portable devices usually it can be a generic Android MTP device or it could be based on your chipset for example MTK MTP. Also if you have the ability to boot the device and switch USB configurations try seeing if a driver will properly load for the device while transferring in pictures instead of just files.

gathner

Feb 11, 2021
I had the same issue with fastboot and windows, only got it working by switching to a Linux live usb

I ended up making a bootable USB drive with Linux Mint. With that, I was able to get my bootloader unlocker. Though now I'm stuck on the boot image. Since I have the 8" Pro (100003651) I don't think the images provided in the link are for the same tablet. Does anybody know how I can make my own or get a link to download it?

Tofor

May 18, 2017
I ended up making a bootable USB drive with Linux Mint. With that, I was able to get my bootloader unlocker. Though now I'm stuck on the boot image. Since I have the 8" Pro (100003651) I don't think the images provided in the link are for the same tablet. Does anybody know how I can make my own or get a link to download it?
I have the stock firmware that ships with the device and the firmware that has the next update included. Do you still require these? I would be happy to share them with you once i can remember where exactly i downloaded them from😅

gathner

Feb 11, 2021
I have the stock firmware that ships with the device and the firmware that has the next update included. Do you still require these? I would be happy to share them with you once i can remember where exactly i downloaded them from😅
Yes please that would be great. Thanks

memesforlife

Apr 11, 2021
I'll be making a video for this with the 7 inch tablet on Nov. 29th or 30th (depending on the time I have)
General Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you brick your tablet. This is how I did it personally as other methods here didn't work for me. I have yet to test this method on a 7 inch, also do not have access to the Surf variants. This has only been tested on the 10.1 inch with the keyboard. Will update when I test with the 7 inch.

What's Needed:
MTK Fastboot Drivers: https://online.mediatek.com/Public Documents/MTK_Android_USB_Driver.zip
Magisk Manager Canary: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/dev-magisk-canary-channel-bleeding-edge-t3839337
Stock Boot Image: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wa...eral/stock-stock-backups-images-otas-t3998227
ADB and Fastboot: https://www.xda-developers.com/what-is-adb/

Prerequisites:
Personally, I had issues getting my PC to recognize the tablets in Fastboot mode. The drivers wouldn't install. This might be optional for some of you, but I thought I'd include it just in case.

Installing MTK Fastboot Drivers from the link above
If you plugin your device in fastboot mode and your PC doesn't recognize it, follow these steps. If it did, skip this part.
1.) Download the drivers above and unzip the Zip file somewhere on your PC (desktop or My Documents is easiest)
2.) Boot your Tablet into Fastboot Mode by holding Vol + and Power, then select Fastboot from the Menu
*NOTE* There is a bug with these tablet's that the volume buttons are mislabeled. Really dumb, but I guess that's why they were 55 bucks for the 10 inch on black friday
3.) Plug the device into your PC and open Device Manager by pressing WinKey+R and typing devmgmt.msc, hit Enter
4.) If there's an Other Device listed called Android, follow these steps. If it isn't there, follow the next set of steps
5.) Open a Command Prompt window as Admin and type the following command
Code:
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
6.) Hit enter, then restart your PC
7.) Once the PC is restarted, make sure your tablet is connected in Fastboot mode and open Device Manager again
8.) Right click Android under Other Devices and select Update Drivers
9.) Click the Browse my Computer for driver software button and select the MTK Folder you extracted from the download link above
10.) From there, you can open command prompt, type fastboot devices and see if your tablet shows up and move on to root!

Unlocking your Bootloader
From here, you can unlock your bootloader very easily to Root your device
This will wipe all data off the tablet!
0.) Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on the tablet by going to Settings->About and tap Build Number 7 times. From here, enter the new Developer Options that unlock and turn on OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
1.) Boot your tablet into Fastboot mode and connect it to your PC
2.) Open a Command Prompt window and type the following command, then hit enter
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
3.) Follow the instructions on screen to unlock your bootloader
4.) Now Boot your device and we'll move on to making a rooted Boot Image

Creating a Rooted Boot Image with Magisk Manager
0.) Make sure you already have Wifi setup and connected before the first time you open Magisk Manager on your device! Make sure it auto connects as well
1.) Download Magisk Manager Canary from the link above
2.) Install it to your device
3.) Download boot Image from the Stock Boot Image part of the Prerequisites above and put the boot.img on your devices internal memory
4.) Open Magisk Manager and select Install Magisk
5.) Select Patch File and select the boot.img from your internal storage
6.) Once its done patching the image, take magisk_patched.img from the downloads folder of your device and move it onto your PC
7.) Boot your tablet into Fastboot mode and plug it into your PC
8.) Open Command Prompt and type the following command and hit enter (make sure you know your magisk_patched.img file location)
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
9.) Reboot the device and you'll be Rooted!

Optional Steps like Modules and Debloating
My basic debloat script: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wa...s-general/root-walmart-bloat-remover-t4011639
Will be testing GSI roms on the spare 7 inch and will list those here

Recommended Magisk Modules:
Viper4Android Legacy
FDE.AI
MagiskHide Props Config
Systemless Hosts
Youtube Vanced Black

Magisk Setting to Enable:
Magisk Hide
Rename Magisk Manager App (keeps app from detecting magisk root)

Credits:
Myself for this root method @byproxy for reminding me to add the steps for OEM Unlock and enabling wifi before opening Magisk Manager for the first time
Hello, I need help because after rootingI can't get a su pop up or get root apps to work but i can still use root booster and delete system apps in adb

memesforlife

Apr 11, 2021
Hello! I'm new to all of this, but what I'm trying to accomplish is removing the Google account from this tablet and putting a new image on the ONA19TB002, ONA19TB003, ONA19TB007, Surf 7 and 10 tablets. I followed all of the steps as far as installing the drivers. I had to go through hoops to get the MediaTek Drivers installed, but I have a "warning" cone by it. I haven't been able to find any resolution to this. Any help would be appreciated. I' have a Windows 10 64-bit system that I'm using and the tablet I'm specifically working on at the moment is the ONN ONA19TB003 tablet. The tablet is not being recognized by my laptop when I run the 'fastboot devices' command in PowerShell. Is there something that I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.
First were did you get the drivers and 2 Have you tried using CMD?

Tofor

May 18, 2017
I apologize for my late reply on this subject. I just checked and I do still have the 2 stock firmwares for the 8in surf pro on a USB flash drive. I had no real issue getting the device rooted and have already passed it on to a friend who was in need of a tablet so I no longer own the device itself. I am going to try to upload the 2 firmwares to my Google account and I'll post the link here soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll be making a video for this with the 7 inch tablet on Nov. 29th or 30th (depending on the time I have)
    General Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you brick your tablet. This is how I did it personally as other methods here didn't work for me. I have yet to test this method on a 7 inch, also do not have access to the Surf variants. This has only been tested on the 10.1 inch with the keyboard. Will update when I test with the 7 inch.

What's Needed:
    MTK Fastboot Drivers: https://online.mediatek.com/Public Documents/MTK_Android_USB_Driver.zip
    Magisk Manager Canary: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/dev-magisk-canary-channel-bleeding-edge-t3839337
    Stock Boot Image: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wa...eral/stock-stock-backups-images-otas-t3998227
    ADB and Fastboot: https://www.xda-developers.com/what-is-adb/

Prerequisites:
    Personally, I had issues getting my PC to recognize the tablets in Fastboot mode. The drivers wouldn't install. This might be optional for some of you, but I thought I'd include it just in case.

Installing MTK Fastboot Drivers from the link above
    If you plugin your device in fastboot mode and your PC doesn't recognize it, follow these steps. If it did, skip this part.
    1.) Download the drivers above and unzip the Zip file somewhere on your PC (desktop or My Documents is easiest)
    2.) Boot your Tablet into Fastboot Mode by holding Vol + and Power, then select Fastboot from the Menu
    *NOTE* There is a bug with these tablet's that the volume buttons are mislabeled. Really dumb, but I guess that's why they were 55 bucks for the 10 inch on black friday
    3.) Plug the device into your PC and open Device Manager by pressing WinKey+R and typing devmgmt.msc, hit Enter
    4.) If there's an Other Device listed called Android, follow these steps. If it isn't there, follow the next set of steps
    5.) Open a Command Prompt window as Admin and type the following command
    Code:
    bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
    6.) Hit enter, then restart your PC
    7.) Once the PC is restarted, make sure your tablet is connected in Fastboot mode and open Device Manager again
    8.) Right click Android under Other Devices and select Update Drivers
    9.) Click the Browse my Computer for driver software button and select the MTK Folder you extracted from the download link above
    10.) From there, you can open command prompt, type fastboot devices and see if your tablet shows up and move on to root!

Unlocking your Bootloader
    From here, you can unlock your bootloader very easily to Root your device
    This will wipe all data off the tablet!
    0.) Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on the tablet by going to Settings->About and tap Build Number 7 times. From here, enter the new Developer Options that unlock and turn on OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
    1.) Boot your tablet into Fastboot mode and connect it to your PC
    2.) Open a Command Prompt window and type the following command, then hit enter
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock
    3.) Follow the instructions on screen to unlock your bootloader
    4.) Now Boot your device and we'll move on to making a rooted Boot Image

Creating a Rooted Boot Image with Magisk Manager
    0.) Make sure you already have Wifi setup and connected before the first time you open Magisk Manager on your device! Make sure it auto connects as well
    1.) Download Magisk Manager Canary from the link above
    2.) Install it to your device
    3.) Download boot Image from the Stock Boot Image part of the Prerequisites above and put the boot.img on your devices internal memory
    4.) Open Magisk Manager and select Install Magisk
    5.) Select Patch File and select the boot.img from your internal storage
    6.) Once its done patching the image, take magisk_patched.img from the downloads folder of your device and move it onto your PC
    7.) Boot your tablet into Fastboot mode and plug it into your PC
    8.) Open Command Prompt and type the following command and hit enter (make sure you know your magisk_patched.img file location)
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    9.) Reboot the device and you'll be Rooted!

Optional Steps like Modules and Debloating
    My basic debloat script: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wa...s-general/root-walmart-bloat-remover-t4011639
    Will be testing GSI roms on the spare 7 inch and will list those here

Recommended Magisk Modules:
    Viper4Android Legacy
    FDE.AI
    MagiskHide Props Config
    Systemless Hosts
    Youtube Vanced Black

Magisk Setting to Enable:
    Magisk Hide
    Rename Magisk Manager App (keeps app from detecting magisk root)

Credits:
    Myself for this root method @byproxy for reminding me to add the steps for OEM Unlock and enabling wifi before opening Magisk Manager for the first time
    I'll start this off saying i'm an amateur at this, but I cannot for the life of me get an option to show up in magisk to patch the boot image even though it's on my 7" tablet. Any thoughts?
    The bootloader was unlocked and it was successful so that's not the issue.
    Are you online? I had the same problem.

I'll start this off saying i'm an amateur at this, but I cannot for the life of me get an option to show up in magisk to patch the boot image even though it's on my 7" tablet. Any thoughts?

Sorry, been a busy few days, but make sure you're connected to Wifi, close Magisk Manager, then reopen it and you'll be good to go!
    I just wanted to say to the OP this worked excellent. I had a bit of confusion with trying to decipher the drivers in order for fastboot to recognize the device. For some reason the drivers on my 8in identify it as a 'Samsung Android device'. So I proceeded to attempt to update the driver to no avail. I then uninstalled the drivers rebooted the PC and the same 'Samsung Android device' drivers appeared again. So I decided to continue on with the instructions with hopes that this was the proper driver, and I happened to get lucky. The stock ROMs have all the files you need this made SP flash tool extremely easy to use. Which is good for me because the device had FRP activated and I was locked out. So I can confirm this method does work on the 8-inch tablet to regain account access when you have forgotten the password or account associated with the device. Little tricks with these little tools on these type of devices always makes rooting and tinkering loads of fun. Thank you for your detailed instructions! A thanks AKA thumbs up to you!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone