How I unlocked my TMobile OnePlus 6T

Search This thread

mackentosh

Jun 30, 2010
Orlando FL.
I called Customer service and told them I bought the phone cash from T-Mobile store and it doesn't make sense to put me on a 40 day hold to unlock, I own the phone outright. I asked was there any way to override the 40 day policy because I travel and sure enough she bypassed the policy and told me I will have to do a factory reset. I factory reset and open the unlock app and tap the permanent unlock option and boom it unlocked and the app disappeared.

TechOut

Aug 15, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
OnePlus Open
I called Customer service and told them I bought the phone cash from T-Mobile store and it doesn't make sense to put me on a 40 day hold to unlock, I own the phone outright. I asked was there any way to override the 40 day policy because I travel and sure enough she bypassed the policy and told me I will have to do a factory reset. I factory reset and open the unlock app and tap the permanent unlock option and boom it unlocked and the app disappeared.
Same I just sent a pic of my receipt on Twitter and the guy told me about the 40 day policy but tried anyway and it worked

KOLIOSIS

You can't "unlock" an IMEI it doesn't have one and the phone can't just create one
There ya go,good point. :good: (Admittedly,I didn't consider that either,THX for bringing it up).
If there is no "buried" IMEI (doubtful,at best),even if the hardware is there (less the SIM Card holder for T-Mobile models),it's not just gonna magically generate one.
Before anyone gets the idea of "putting" an existing one on there (if even possible) that discussion is off limits here @ XDA.................

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
If u have the right tools u may be able to write an imei to the efs partition however that would be highly illegal..I don't hold out much hope that the tmo variant is dual SIM.. as OnePlus has stated that tmo specifically chose a different variant sadly..I will be happy with unlocked bl and custom roms tho after this first month..when I need dual SIM I'll just use my XS Max.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

TechOut

Aug 15, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
OnePlus Open
If u have the right tools u may be able to write an imei to the efs partition however that would be highly illegal..I don't hold out much hope that the tmo variant is dual SIM.. as OnePlus has stated that tmo specifically chose a different variant sadly..I will be happy with unlocked bl and custom roms tho after this first month..when I need dual SIM I'll just use my XS Max.
From what I saw from T-Mobile on Twitter is their backened doesn't support dual SIM phones. Not that you can use an unlocked dual SIM phone on their Network they just can't sell them directly

KOLIOSIS

From what I saw from T-Mobile on Twitter is their backened doesn't support dual SIM phones. Not that you can use an unlocked dual SIM phone on their Network they just can't sell them directly

That sounds more like a "won't" than a can't.
TBH,I've heard that term (backend) used a few times recently & have no idea what it really means in this context,other than just what it sounds like,they won't sell it.
I bet it's just a canned response w/no real reason other than T-Mobile & the other carriers would rather sell us two single-SIM phones vs one dual-SIM phone.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Apple is having a hard time getting carriers to support dual SIM capability and this will be more difficult after the merger as control of the wireless market will be further concentrated. They are easily the most influential supporters of dual SIM capabilities in the States, lets hope they maintain that support and are joined by others that could benefit from taking back some control of the wireless market because it helps check abuses by our wireless oligopoly. Folks will do what they want but I'd carefully consider buying the Tmo version if dual SIM was something I wanted. Burned myself thinking something would come that never did more than once. I do think it's a good possibility but I use dual SIM now so wasn't taking a chance.

Reactions: KOLIOSIS

KOLIOSIS

Apple is having a hard time getting carriers to support dual SIM capability and this will be more difficult after the merger as control of the wireless market will be further concentrated. They are easily the most influential supporters of dual SIM capabilities in the States, lets hope they maintain that support and are joined by others that could benefit from taking back some control of the wireless market because it helps check abuses by our wireless oligopoly. Folks will do what they want but I'd carefully consider buying the Tmo version if dual SIM was something I wanted. Burned myself thinking something would come that never did more than once. I do think it's a good possibility but I use dual SIM now so wasn't taking a chance.

T-Mobile DIGITS helps, but, it's not exactly the same. (Still only one SIM for data).

Otherwise, I'd stayed away. Been using Dual SIM phones more often than not over the past five years, since I left Sprint for T-Mobile (the sheer variety of BYOD/Dual SIM was the main reason, let alone better service).

Sent from my SM-N960U using XDA Labs

Reactions: EnruChem

suzook

Jan 25, 2010

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Illegal, just to unlock it? Then just restore original. NO?

TechOut

Aug 15, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
OnePlus Open
That sounds more like a "won't" than a can't.
TBH,I've heard that term (backend) used a few times recently & have no idea what it really means in this context,other than just what it sounds like,they won't sell it.
I bet it's just a canned response w/no real reason other than T-Mobile & the other carriers would rather sell us two single-SIM phones vs one dual-SIM phone.
Backend is their systems and the network it self

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Nice, I just had tmobile support via twitter help get my 6T unlocked in not even 15 minutes, thanks for the tip.
I think if you tell them it's for OEM unlock to be enabled most will do it

Reactions: EnruChem

KOLIOSIS

Backend is their systems and the network it self

Still sounds like they're making it out to be more expensive/labor intensive than it actually is.
If BYOD Dual-SIM phones can operate on their networks,it would stand to reason it would take little to no effort for the carriers to sell dual SIM models.

Not being disagreeable,my beef is w/the US carriers,it's nonsense.

TechOut

Aug 15, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
OnePlus Open
Still sounds like they're making it out to be more expensive/labor intensive than it actually is.
If BYOD Dual-SIM phones can operate on their networks,it would stand to reason it would take little to no effort for the carriers to sell dual SIM models.

Not being disagreeable,my beef is w/the US carriers,it's nonsense.
Yes dual SIM devices work because TMobile sees it as 1 IMEI for each line. But if they sell a dual SIM phone then they have two IMEI numbers per phone in thier system. I'm guessing the iPhone works a bit different since one is virtual

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same I just sent a pic of my receipt on Twitter and the guy told me about the 40 day policy but tried anyway and it worked
    Now if we can get you guys to unlock bootloader and then try to flash the international stock rom from OnePlus and see if it "unlocks" the second simcard imei
    I tried and they said I couldn't until the buyer remorse period is over.

Edit -
    Contacted Tmo via Twitter and they did it no problems!
    I just unlocked my 6T with the Unlock app. I have only had it for 24 hours and still on the payment plan after turning in my 3. Didn't go through twitter or any other support, just clicked Permanent Unlock. Then restarted, got a message that it was permanently unlocked, and the Unlock app is gone.