How important is display resolution to you?

Search This thread

neonpolaris

May 12, 2011
I have a Pixel 2 XL, and I'll likely be getting the Pixel 5.

I usually upgrade every two years, but the 4 just didn't call to me. I've been holding out for wireless charging and I didn't want to give up my fingerprint reader. That and I've had a strong preference for the 'stock' Android that the Nexus/Pixel series gives you. So I waited last year. However, my battery is getting pretty poor so it's time to move on and the Pixel 5 seems to fit the bill for me.

However, there are a few drawbacks. It seems most of the gripes about the Pixel 5 seem centered around the CPU being somewhat mid-range. Coming from the 2XL, I don't really have any gripes about performance with what I already have for what I use it for. Why only real concerns are the screen and the speakers. I really like the front-facing speakers of my 2XL and sometimes will set my phone on its kickstand to watch a YouTube video with no headphones. (Not in public, I'm not a monster.) I feel like the 5 won't work as well in this scenario, but it's not a deal breaker.

The other drawback is the lower resolution screen. Honestly, I don't know if this is a big deal or not. How big a deal is the resolution difference? Noticeable to most? Would a higher refresh rate but a lower resolution be a net positive or net negative to most? I can't say I've ever felt like my screen was too laggy due to refresh rate but I honestly don't know if the bump down in resolution will slap me in the face or be a complete non-issue. I don't imagine I'd care or notice with video, but what about reading? Any advice from those with more experience in this area?

Acreo Aeneas

Mar 17, 2012
As long as you don't block the bottom speaker (lower right), you should be fine. Most of the phone stands I use don't block the speaker on my Pixel 3a XL now, so I don't see you having a problem with the Pixel 5.

If you pixel peep, then you will notice the lose of fidelity. Honestly with a screen this small (smartphone screens in general), it's not a huge deal for me. FHD+ is good enough. From experience, I do notice the loss going from higher density displays down to a 1080+ screen. Keep in mind, a higher resolution = less battery life. Takes more to drive that higher density screen. After a while, you won't notice it.

neonpolaris

May 12, 2011
Thanks. I hadn't considered the battery life aspect of it. That's almost more important to me now, but that might just be because I'm running on a 3+ year old battery now.