• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

how important is it to have security patches?

Search This thread

nattynatalia

Sep 15, 2021
Hello,its my first post in XDA and it is about something that I have asked myself many times, my phone is about 2 years old and the security patches were hardly ever updated, in fact they are from January, I have searched on internet and I have read some posts but none of them makes it clear to me if for someone who only uses some google applications, whatsapp, chrome, a wallet with very little money and 4 google play apps it is so extremely dangerous to have a smartphone with old security patches? I mean, am I at risk for that as if someone can infect my phone just because it is connected to the internet? without me installing any malicious app? :) well, I hope that you understood well what I explained here since I am not a native English speaker :) I would appreciate if someone could explain a little more about the subject of security patches, what extent security patches are very important and what extent it can become more like a psychosis of wanting to have the latest security patch? 🤨 I ask all these questions because once a friend installed a custom rom that I loved, I really loved (I don't know why I asked him to return the phone as it was when I bought it) but I know that the last time it was updated was in December, so that rom must have even older patches (from December 2020) and I also know that it uses a custom kernel that was also somewhat outdated, it is very dangerous for me to use a rom that the kernel is old and security patches old?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
5n0ial.jpg

Top Liked Posts