Question How is everyone updating the firmware? used japanese simcard?

Search This thread

Dunatiry

Sep 28, 2021
p.s. I actually have the Leitz Phone 1 (Softbank) but I imagine it would be the exact same way with the Aquos R6
I have r6 docomo and I can find updates using Japan VPN.
It's really hard to update Softbank devices. I have zero 2 and r5g and this is a headache.
You can:
1) Buy Japan SIM - people say it is the most reliable choice
2) You can use Japan VPN . It might works but not always because of Softbank
3) You can hard reset your device and don't add any Google accounts, don't use gps, SIM cards. Add only WIFI and Japan VPN to find a new firmware. When device finds it and starts downloading you can disable your VPN connection to download with normal speed. You should do these steps with each update.
To know about new firmware use Softbank site. They post when the firmware is ready.
Be careful because I updated docomo r6 yesterday and now camera app opens with max brightness, I can't disable this thing.

Reactions: yellowchilli
It's really hard to update Softbank devices. I have zero 2 and r5g and this is a headache.
You can:
3) You can hard reset your device and don't add any Google accounts, don't use gps, SIM cards. Add only WIFI and Japan VPN to find a new firmware. When device finds it and starts downloading you can disable your VPN connection to download with normal speed. You should do these steps with each update.
To know about new firmware use Softbank site. They post when the firmware is ready.
Be careful because I updated docomo r6 yesterday and now camera app opens with max brightness, I can't disable this thing.
thank you

looks like I'll need to get hold of a jp sim
because VPN didn't work for me :(

couldn't locate the Leica's firmware update page on Softbank but I'm sure if the R6 has an update then perhaps Leica should follow...
At this time I'm willing to accept max brightness bug if they are bringing optimisations elsewhere.. it's got a pretty heavy battery drain going on with first party homescreen for example

Dunatiry

Sep 28, 2021
thank you

looks like I'll need to get hold of a jp sim
because VPN didn't work for me :(

couldn't locate the Leica's firmware update page on Softbank but I'm sure if the R6 has an update then perhaps Leica should follow...
At this time I'm willing to accept max brightness bug if they are bringing optimisations elsewhere.. it's got a pretty heavy battery drain going on with first party homescreen for example
You can try this:
Turn off Google sync (everywhere), gps and pull out SIM. Restart device and turn on wifi and JP VPN.
It might works

Bluiquid

Jan 13, 2014
Sharp Aquos R6
Keep in mind...I think I read there was a cyclone there which cut there signal so probably their servers but again it worked on the nttDocomo R6 just using Proton VPN which Japan is free on.
Okay, thanks for the answer.

Did you unlock the Phone also? Like sim-unlock.
My R6 comes locked but with sim code seller says. I guess I need VPN for that to?

kwanying

Nov 14, 2009
curious where you get your firmware news from :)

:)

Reactions: yellowchilli

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
for anyone who already updated their phone, how is the improvement going ? is the camera quality got better ?

it's a shame that this phone has such promising hardware, yet weak software optimisation

Dunatiry

Sep 28, 2021
If you have Softbank device you have to
1) factory reset
2) do not plug in your SIM
3) do not add Google account, only wifi settings
4) do not change region/time settings
5) turn on any VPN app, choose Japan
6) done. You will find an update
Every new update you can find only this way or you can buy Softbank sim

So, if you have Docomo device you have to:
1) just use any VPN app
Maybe: without SIM and with Japan region in settings.

Reactions: andamiro00

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
H
I used proton vpn - japan is free and just did update for the Aquos
Hi, can you provide the more details procedure to update the phone ?

Did you just go to Setting - System - System Update to update ? Or is there any other procedure needed ?

I already use proton, but system update said my system is up to date (which not the case) , am still on 1.0.0.6 an the latest from docomo i believe is 1.0.0.8

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Nevermind, got it. I need to reset my phone, and don't change the region at all from beginning. I choose japan language as well for precaution, and now it updating

Attachments

• 20211019_215606.jpg
    20211019_215606.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Did yo
Yesterday we have a new firmware update for R6 and Leitz. I'm using the Docomo variant. Addition manage to
Yesterday we have a new firmware update for R6 and Leitz. I'm using the Docomo variant. AdditionalView attachment 5471951
Did you manage to update using VPN ? i was able to update previously, but somehow for this 1.0.11 version it wont appear even after using VPN.

What VPN do you use ? And what is the other procedure ? Thx !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    p.s. I actually have the Leitz Phone 1 (Softbank) but I imagine it would be the exact same way with the Aquos R6
    You can:
    Any news about your situation?
    Keep in mind...I think I read there was a cyclone there which cut there signal so probably their servers but again it worked on the nttDocomo R6 just using Proton VPN which Japan is free on.
    curious where you get your firmware news from :)

:)
    If you have Softbank device you have to
    1) factory reset
    2) do not plug in your SIM
    3) do not add Google account, only wifi settings
    4) do not change region/time settings
    5) turn on any VPN app, choose Japan
    6) done. You will find an update
    Every new update you can find only this way or you can buy Softbank sim

So, if you have Docomo device you have to:
    1) just use any VPN app
    Maybe: without SIM and with Japan region in settings.
    Yesterday we have a new firmware update for R6 and Leitz. I'm using the Docomo variant. Additional
    Screenshot_20211201-112837_1.png