How many of you experiencing high android system battery drain?

Are you experiencing high android system battery drain?

• Yes

Votes: 996 70.2%
  • Not

Votes: 215 15.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 208 14.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

emptydream

Sep 26, 2013
While I'm waiting for my verizon s7 edge, I saw a lot of people post screen shot of s7 and s7 edge showing android system use battery over 20%. I just wondering if this is common problem or just happen to several users? This makes me really worry of my upcoming s7 edge.

emptydream

Sep 26, 2013
I feel like it should be excellent.... we always pursue for better right? My nexus 6 is usually less than 5% for android system. Imagine if it's 5% how good the battery life would be.

Xileforce

Feb 27, 2012
Yes mine is the same which seems odd to me too. It should be the screen. Like angionicholai said though. Im still getting great battery life. But I would assume knocking down Android system would help a sizeable amount

Reactions: slyest12

stone5000556

Oct 18, 2013
Boston
Yes I certainly am and it's a little concerning but I'm not very worried. Batery life has been quite good and I'm assuming will only get better with OTA updates and our lovely dev's :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160303-034210.png
    Screenshot_20160303-034210.png
    241.4 KB · Views: 20,831
Reactions: ffd173

dodgeboy

Dec 6, 2006
Detroit, MI
I feel like every phone has a "catch all" that the basic phone operations fall under, as far as reporting battery drain. I don't think that the battery drain is higher than it should be for my phone, and my android system has shown as high as 36%. Even with that, the phone was still at 62% after moderate use at work all day (10 hours). That's better than any other android phone I've had. My V10 would have been around 20-30% after a day like that.

One thing I have noticed about this phone is that it doesn't sit at 100% for very long at all. Previous phones I've had would sometimes still be at 100% when I got to work in the morning. This phone is at 98% before I get to the car. I think it's all in the way that they report the percentage. This phone appears to be more linear, and other phones try to fake you into thinking the battery is going to last forever by making it stay at 100% for an hour or two.

Try to judge the battery life in a general, overall sense, instead of watching the draw of each application. See if that changes your opinion of the battery life.

Dr. Fed

Apr 23, 2010
Boston Area
Android system is taking up about 30% of my battery use. That's quite high. Strangely, I'm still very happy with my battery life. Probably because I haven't had a phone with a 3600 mAh battery before, and I'm getting 5 hours of SOT out of the box, without any attempt to save power. Plus my last phone was the S6.

Having said that, I might start experimenting with things to see if Android system can be tacked down. The list of processes running for Android system is quite long.

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

I should also mention that this drain doesn't seem to affect Marshmallow's doze feature. The battery graph flat-lines nicely when I'm not using the phone.

Rodini14

Sep 18, 2012
Android System is at 31% for me right now. Definitely the highest on any Android phone i've had. I'm just going to chalk it up to the phone settling in. If it is actually an issue, hopefully they'll address it with an update.

kxhaz

Aug 21, 2009
Kansas City
Android system is 37% while Android OS is 19% and then Screen is 14% with 1 hour on. Phone has been off charger for 3:30 and is down to 83%. However if you factor the use out that would give me 20 hours and 37 min with 5 hours and 50 min of screen time. I just got the phone Tuesday afternoon so I am hopping after a couple more battery cycles this calms down.

adamj546

Apr 2, 2010
Is it possible that everything was more efficient to drop the battery usage except android sysyem. This would result in a higher percentage showing but in turn its using the same amount as other phones. It would helpful to test of someone could post a picture of their android system usage when battery gets low.

BennyJr

Mar 29, 2010
Orlando FL
Is it possible that everything was more efficient to drop the battery usage except android sysyem. This would result in a higher percentage showing but in turn its using the same amount as other phones. It would helpful to test of someone could post a picture of their android system usage when battery gets low.

That's what i've heard is the case.

WeatherTech

I'm on the S5 until my S7 edge comes in. I sometimes get high android system usage when there's background updates going on or after an OTA update for a few days. Usually it seems to resolve by itself. Maybe give it a few days and see if there's still high drain? Also could be a bug that will be worked out in an OTA update.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Mine has the same thing. I disabled everything possible and the idle drain is really bad. My 6P has system drain at 2% so there's clearly an issue here when my S7E has 30-40% system drain

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

GiancarloMorr24

Jul 22, 2011
Mine has the same thing. I disabled everything possible and the idle drain is really bad. My 6P has system drain at 2% so there's clearly an issue here when my S7E has 30-40% system drain

For discussion, here's my latest use summary. Note, I have location off, wifi scanning off, Bluetooth off.
cc2c78f94fd5d1000d44c8f792e3b8f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
For discussion, here's my latest use summary. Note, I have location off, wifi scanning off, Bluetooth off.

I'm not using my S7E until my screen protector arrives outside of being at home because I managed to get a small scratch on the screen already on day 1. I'll post some screenshots of the usage regardless because it's still high,but for now this is my 6P for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160303-120237.png
    Screenshot_20160303-120237.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 3,159

vahdyx

Dec 23, 2010
Broomfield - Colorado
I thought mine was contributed to the fact I use Adguard's VPN connection, so I didn't think much of it especially since I achieved more SOT than my Note 5 did by 1.5 hours. I typically get 5 to 5.5 hours of SOT.

GiancarloMorr24

Jul 22, 2011
I thought mine was contributed to the fact I use Adguard's VPN connection, so I didn't think much of it especially since I achieved more SOT than my Note 5 did by 1.5 hours. I typically get 5 to 5.5 hours of SOT.
No doubt that battery life on the S7E seems to be very impressive. I'm just wondering if we can squeeze more out of it if we can figure out what's causing Android System to take up so many resources.

Reactions: vahdyx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I feel like every phone has a "catch all" that the basic phone operations fall under, as far as reporting battery drain. I don't think that the battery drain is higher than it should be for my phone, and my android system has shown as high as 36%. Even with that, the phone was still at 62% after moderate use at work all day (10 hours). That's better than any other android phone I've had. My V10 would have been around 20-30% after a day like that.

One thing I have noticed about this phone is that it doesn't sit at 100% for very long at all. Previous phones I've had would sometimes still be at 100% when I got to work in the morning. This phone is at 98% before I get to the car. I think it's all in the way that they report the percentage. This phone appears to be more linear, and other phones try to fake you into thinking the battery is going to last forever by making it stay at 100% for an hour or two.

Try to judge the battery life in a general, overall sense, instead of watching the draw of each application. See if that changes your opinion of the battery life.
    Also disabled all the App Usages,
    Security settings
    Advanced
    Apps with usage access, all off

Most Important, all AUTO backup is turned OFF (Seems a bug in Marshmallow)
    Most of the Apps are Disabled.
    Alarm is Not in Use
    FingerPrint is not in use
    Encrypt is not done
    All Edge Features is Disabled
    FB and Whatsapp is used as of now

Finally I put Active Sync to off, Wifi off during Night...

And now phone = dumbphone
    Go to settings, language and input, text to speech, google text to speech settings, then settings for Google text to speech, turn off anonymous reports. It helped my battery I think, because I use Google search a lot. Hope it helps someone who missed it.

sent from the sm-g935t unrootd.
    Instead of bragging so much you could show and explain us how to get that kind of battery performance...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    He watches black videos nonstop.
    Why worry about it if your getting 6 hours sot? The sd820 isnt as efficient as the 8890 so you guys should chill