Search This thread

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
I have an old Alcatel Pixi 4 with Android 6.0 from which I'd like to back up my files. I've already copied all files from the internal storage except those inside the "Downloads" folder, which actually appears to be an app rather than a folder...and it's an utter mess: One can only open downloaded files, but there are absolutely no options to copy, move, rename or even delete anything, so this toxic app basically acts as a trap accumulating any file that has ever been downloaded while completely shutting the owner out.

How can I extract my downloaded files?

Note: The device is not rooted, but I have it hooked up with ADB.

Reactions: t0mWiNn31

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I have an old Alcatel Pixi 4 with Android 6.0 from which I'd like to back up my files. I've already copied all files from the internal storage except those inside the "Downloads" folder, which actually appears to be an app rather than a folder...and it's an utter mess: One can only open downloaded files, but there are absolutely no options to copy, move, rename or even delete anything, so this toxic app basically acts as a trap accumulating any file that has ever been downloaded while completely shutting the owner out.

Go to Playstore and install the MiXplorer app, it is a file manager, it should be able to open your downloads folder and copy/move/delete.

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
Go to Playstore and install the MiXplorer app, it is a file manager, it should be able to open your downloads folder and copy/move/delete.
Or Try another file manager from the Playstore...
Actually, I'm using an older version of Root Explorer, but I cannot locate the files.

Welcome to the Mass Surveillance Program by Big Daddies, we all are victims :cry:
Uhm - possibly wrong thread? Also, is this a reference to the current situation in the US?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Actually, I'm using an older version of Root Explorer, but I cannot locate the files.

Uhm - possibly wrong thread? Also, is this a reference to the current situation in the US?
Well, if it shows as a downloads app, do you have a downloads app on your phone? If so, it should be able to open/access your files.

If you don't have a downloads app, see if you can install one.

Have you checked permissions of your explorer app to make sure it has the permissions it needs?

Have you checked your device settings to make sure your explorer app is allowed proper access? I seem to remember some specific settings that needed to be enabled/allow in Marshmallow, it has been a few years so I can't remember the specifics, but I remember having a series of settings that I had to setup every time I flashed a new ROM to make my 3rd party file manager work the way I needed it.

Have you tried the built file system as described below?

Reactions: OldNoobOne

LR7875

Jun 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Xiaomi Mi Pad
How can it be wrong thread when the OP talks about a spy app pretending to be a folder? I was just clarifying about whats really going on & its not just happening in US rather the whole world. Yes I didn'tprovide a solution though.
well then I assume that the spy app will do more than locking you out of downloads folder as it is malicious, the hacker probably has much ambition, probably will sell my bank and credit card number on the dark web for a few spare kidneys? lol then if I were the OP I will disconnect it from any sort of internet and soak it in 99.95% military breaking bad grade hydrofloric acid, put it into a nuclear waste lead lined box for retired nukes, and hide myself in a suitcase in the cargo of a plane to north pole (just a nonsense joke but you get the idea)

Last edited:

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
Well, if it shows as a downloads app, do you have a downloads app on your phone? If so, it should be able to open/access your files.

Have you checked permissions of your explorer app to make sure it has the permissions it needs?

Have you checked your device settings to make sure your explorer app is allowed proper access? I seem to remember some specific settings that needed to be enabled/allow in Marshmallow, it has been a few years so I can't remember the specifics, but I remember having a series of settings that I had to setup every time I flashed a new ROM to make my 3rd party file manager work the way I needed it.

Oh god, why is the file explorer buried like that??? This is the very first time I'm using it since I got this phone years ago. Also, what then is the other "stock" file explorer in the apps list?

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
How can it be wrong thread when the OP talks about a spy app pretending to be a folder? I was just clarifying about whats really going on & its not just happening in US rather the whole world. Yes I didn'tprovide a solution though.
I just briefly checked some screenshots online of stock Alcatel PIXI 4s...and I cannot find this "File Manager" anywhere. :oops: So maybe it isn't stock software after all?

However, I found this app at APKMirror:

And it says that it's from "mie-alcatel.support". Do you really think this is spyware?

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
The "File Manager" is listed there as well. And I thought that this phone was behaving strange...random reboots and the connection is always slow and showing "E" despite having an LTE contract (maybe to hide traffic that is constantly eating through my monthly data quota?).

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
MOD ACTION:

I have deleted some posts as they were racial and political contrary to Rule 2. I have moved some other posts to HERE since they were totally not relating to the topic of the thread. Please be on topic.

Thank you.
Mod Edit: Some content removed.

Anyway...as you see, it's not always possible to completely ignore the political dimension when discussing INFOSEC. But to get back on topic: I think the information from Droidriven and OldNoobOne are complementary and spot-on:

1.) The "stock" Android version on the Alcatel PIXI 4 appears to come with malware disguised as a File Manager (mie-alcatel.support, 50 million installs):

TCL-Shenzhen-Hawk.jpg

The actual, built-in file manager is buried inside the settings which, in view of the "bundled" malicious File Manager app, points towards Alcatel/Nokia as culprits.

2.) Question: What do I do with this phone? Is there any way to reliably remove all spyware or would you suggest to just ditch this device? Would rooting and doing
Code:
adb shell pm uninstall
solve the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD ACTION:

I have deleted some posts as they were racial and political contrary to Rule 2. I have moved some other posts to HERE since they were totally not relating to the topic of the thread. Please be on topic.

Thank you.

Welcome to the Mass Surveillance Program by Big Daddies, we all are victims :cry: