Search This thread

kerstin92

Jun 16, 2022
I have an old Alcatel Pixi 4 with Android 6.0 from which I'd like to back up my files. I've already copied all files from the internal storage except those inside the "Downloads" folder, which actually appears to be an app rather than a folder...and it's an utter mess: One can only open downloaded files, but there are absolutely no options to copy, move, rename or even delete anything, so this toxic app basically acts as a trap accumulating any file that has ever been downloaded while completely shutting the owner out.

How can I extract my downloaded files?

Note: The device is not rooted, but I have it hooked up with ADB.

Reactions: t0mWiNn31

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Mod Edit: Some content removed.

Anyway, back to topic! :coffee:

Question: Considering all the bundled malware on this device, can the files be accessed at all? Do I need to root it? Is it possible to somehow "sanitize" it? And is it even safe to connect it via USB to e.g. my laptop or server?
Does the device respond to adb commands?

If so, use adb commands to navigate through your directories, folder by folder until you find the folder/files you are looking for. Then use adb pull commands to pull copies of the files in downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldNoobOne

And is it even safe to connect it via USB to e.g. my laptop or server?
It had happened twice to me when I had tried to connect my old Lehnovo Devices to my old HP laptop long ago, both the lehnovo shutdown my laptop twice when I had tried to root them, finally nothing worked so I gave them away. Crazy AI or malware dunno but you could be right.

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
Does the device respond to adb commands?

If so, use adb commands to navigate through your directories, folder by folder until you find the folder/files you are looking for. Then use adb pull commands to pull copies of the files in downloads.
This is first thing I would try, adb pull everything and inspect files. It's even possible to adb backup and extract

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD ACTION:

I have deleted some posts as they were racial and political contrary to Rule 2. I have moved some other posts to HERE since they were totally not relating to the topic of the thread. Please be on topic.

Thank you.
    I have an old Alcatel Pixi 4 with Android 6.0 from which I'd like to back up my files. I've already copied all files from the internal storage except those inside the "Downloads" folder, which actually appears to be an app rather than a folder...and it's an utter mess: One can only open downloaded files, but there are absolutely no options to copy, move, rename or even delete anything, so this toxic app basically acts as a trap accumulating any file that has ever been downloaded while completely shutting the owner out.

How can I extract my downloaded files?

Note: The device is not rooted, but I have it hooked up with ADB.
    Welcome to the Mass Surveillance Program by Big Daddies, we all are victims :cry:
    Actually, I'm using an older version of Root Explorer, but I cannot locate the files.

Uhm - possibly wrong thread? Also, is this a reference to the current situation in the US?
    Well, if it shows as a downloads app, do you have a downloads app on your phone? If so, it should be able to open/access your files.

If you don't have a downloads app, see if you can install one.

Have you checked permissions of your explorer app to make sure it has the permissions it needs?

Have you checked your device settings to make sure your explorer app is allowed proper access? I seem to remember some specific settings that needed to be enabled/allow in Marshmallow, it has been a few years so I can't remember the specifics, but I remember having a series of settings that I had to setup every time I flashed a new ROM to make my 3rd party file manager work the way I needed it.

Have you tried the built file system as described below?