[How to][ACS][CWM Flashable Zip!!!]Update built in Swype in almost any Rom!

Search This thread

flimsy888

Jan 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Finished_logo.png

Tutorial Video At Bottom​

Thanks to dmarden for this Awesome Tutorial!!!!

Thanks to icecold23, stormglove, Prince_Basil and the Community for there help,support and testing
If I forgot you PM me!!!

SEE ZIP AFTER STEP 4!!!!!!

Compatibility (These are not modems they are the build # the rom is based off of! This will work with any modem!!!!)
EC05=YES EB13=Unknown EE03=Unkown EF02=NO DK28=Unknown Di18=Unknown
SRF1.2=YES Bonsai EC05 Edition=YES Other Roms= Probably

Anyone want to help me getting this working on more roms/android versions....Search the file system for the files listed is the op...as far as i know this only works with EC05 but with help we can make it work on GB and older versions of froyo!!!!(Report back on results in thread)(Need help with any version listed as no or unknown!!!!!)

READ WHOLE OP BEFORE ATEMPTING!!!!!!!

1. Install some other keyboard from the market... Doesn't matter what kind.

2. Deactivate swype in your keyboard settings and select your new (temp) keyboard as your input method.

3.Use Root Explorer to remove "/system/app/Swype.apk" (without quotations) and "/system/lib/libSwypeCore.so" (you can delete or keep "libswypecore.so.bak" it doesn't matter) (without quotations) Be sure to disable Swype and switch input to another keyboard before removing these files!!!

4.REBOOT you must do this step!!!!

(Instead of steps 1-4 you could just flash this in CWM 3 SwypeDelete.zipNo wipe needed. Please report back on results as this is a brand new addition to the op!!) (Tested and confirmed working on EC05 may work on others tho..don't hold me to it though make sure to back up!!!) (NANDROID Before flashing it!!!!!!) Thanks SOOOOOO MUCH qbking77 and chris41g

5.Download and follow the Swype installer as you normally would

6.PROFIT!!!!:D

b8e64f37-73b5-3367.jpg
b8e64f37-7662-84e5.jpg

When posting about success or failure please state what rom and what android version/build number!!!

FYI Root explorer must be in R/W mode to do this not R/O mode!

Tutorial Video by qbking77

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about root explorer or this process before doing this! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Last edited:

tsperez

Jan 29, 2008
Mission
A few questions...
1 I could not find a copy of Swype in the Market,
2 Is step 5 correct? Skype
3 How do we set RW mode if not already there?

Thanks in advance.
tsp

flimsy888

Jan 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
A few questions...

Thanks in advance.
tsp

Fixed step 5

google Swype to find Swype website and download from there!

and click mount as R/W in top left corner of root explorer and it will change to R/W!

Last edited:
Reactions: vwags and tsperez

icecold23

Feb 17, 2011
Wouldn't this method work on any of the ROMs, assuming they are still using the stock (or even themed) version of SWYPE?

How would you go back to the stock version if you didn't like the new Swype v3.0? Could you simply copy the files and replace them, reboot?

Last edited:
Reactions: flimsy888

flimsy888

Jan 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Wouldn't this method work on any of the ROMs, assuming they are still using the stock (or even themed) version of SWYPE?

How would you go back to the stock version if you didn't like the new Swype v3.0? Could you simply copy the files and replace them, reboot?

I would assume so but i'm not sure....i think you could just reflash the rom also!

DrKaotica

Feb 18, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Done and done :) . Thanks for the write up. What are the major differences with the one that comes with srf vs swype beta? I can see it looks a little different, no haptic.

Sent from my SPH-D700

Prince_Basil

Oct 2, 2010
I tried this on EF02. It didn't work. I keep getting a force close whenever I try to enter the Swype settings. But then again. I only seen the Swype.apk, I didn't see the libSwypeCore.so. Maybe Gingerbread has them in a different location. Thought I would test it out for you guys on EF02. Thanks for this though!! :)

Reactions: flimsy888

tsperez

Jan 29, 2008
Mission
New 3.0 Beta

Thanks for the post. Installed and it working. No eval yet but it seem to look and function better than the old version.

tsp

icecold23

Feb 17, 2011
Done and done :) . Thanks for the write up. What are the major differences with the one that comes with srf vs swype beta? I can see it looks a little different, no haptic.

Sent from my SPH-D700

The major difference you should see is how Swype brings up the auto-correct selections. Instead of the window popup type it had previously, it uses a single, scrollable line on top of the keyboard, similar to the GB Stock keyboard, FlexT9, etc...

flimsy888

Jan 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
I tried this on EF02. It didn't work. I keep getting a force close whenever I try to enter the Swype settings. But then again. I only seen the Swype.apk, I didn't see the libSwypeCore.so. Maybe Gingerbread has them in a different location. Thought I would test it out for you guys on EF02. Thanks for this though!! :)

Thanks for testing credited you in OP!

wis3m0nkey

Sep 2, 2010
Thanks this works if u don't have any software keyboard as well (remember we have physical keyboard ? :cool: )
And yea my swype suddenly disappeared from settings, and beta was not letting me generate license, however this method worked :)

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finished_logo.png

Tutorial Video At Bottom​

Thanks to dmarden for this Awesome Tutorial!!!!

Thanks to icecold23, stormglove, Prince_Basil and the Community for there help,support and testing
    If I forgot you PM me!!!

SEE ZIP AFTER STEP 4!!!!!!

Compatibility (These are not modems they are the build # the rom is based off of! This will work with any modem!!!!)
    EC05=YES EB13=Unknown EE03=Unkown EF02=NO DK28=Unknown Di18=Unknown
    SRF1.2=YES Bonsai EC05 Edition=YES Other Roms= Probably

Anyone want to help me getting this working on more roms/android versions....Search the file system for the files listed is the op...as far as i know this only works with EC05 but with help we can make it work on GB and older versions of froyo!!!!(Report back on results in thread)(Need help with any version listed as no or unknown!!!!!)

READ WHOLE OP BEFORE ATEMPTING!!!!!!!

1. Install some other keyboard from the market... Doesn't matter what kind.

2. Deactivate swype in your keyboard settings and select your new (temp) keyboard as your input method.

3.Use Root Explorer to remove "/system/app/Swype.apk" (without quotations) and "/system/lib/libSwypeCore.so" (you can delete or keep "libswypecore.so.bak" it doesn't matter) (without quotations) Be sure to disable Swype and switch input to another keyboard before removing these files!!!

4.REBOOT you must do this step!!!!

(Instead of steps 1-4 you could just flash this in CWM 3 SwypeDelete.zipNo wipe needed. Please report back on results as this is a brand new addition to the op!!) (Tested and confirmed working on EC05 may work on others tho..don't hold me to it though make sure to back up!!!) (NANDROID Before flashing it!!!!!!) Thanks SOOOOOO MUCH qbking77 and chris41g

5.Download and follow the Swype installer as you normally would

6.PROFIT!!!!:D

b8e64f37-73b5-3367.jpg
    b8e64f37-7662-84e5.jpg

When posting about success or failure please state what rom and what android version/build number!!!

FYI Root explorer must be in R/W mode to do this not R/O mode!

Tutorial Video by qbking77

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about root explorer or this process before doing this! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    A few questions...

Thanks in advance.
    tsp

Fixed step 5

google Swype to find Swype website and download from there!

and click mount as R/W in top left corner of root explorer and it will change to R/W!
    what about libswypecore.so.bak

I left it and everything seems to be working fine after following the directions. Thank you for this.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App
    A few questions...

Thanks in advance.
    tsp

Beta.swype.com

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk