• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question How to activate 5G?

Search This thread

dwkkwong

Aug 12, 2008
I just got one with China stock rom, if plug-in Hong Kong 5G subscription Sim card, the "Perfer network" choice on "5G" is not selectable (simply disappear), however using China carrier 5G sim card, it is selectable . Also the Developer mode option of enable "SA" also disappear. Not sure if other users has such issue. 4G+ using non-chinese carrier has no issue. Any solution to force enable 5G without flash or unlock bootloader?

I just got one with China stock rom, if plug-in Hong Kong 5G subscription Sim card, the "Perfer network" choice on "5G" is not selectable (simply disappear), however using China carrier 5G sim card, it is selectable . Also the Developer mode option of enable "SA" also disappear. Not sure if other users has such issue. 4G+ using non-chinese carrier has no issue. Any solution to force enable 5G without flash or unlock bootloader?
And where do you live? China or Hong Kong?

There is a thing called SIM ToolKit that allows carrier to remotely upload and install code on your phone, this exists for many years now, even before touchscreen phones ever existed.

It can be used to even spy on you.

I think you understand now why when you insert Chinese SIM card your phones behaviour drastically changes...

bausonco

Apr 6, 2017
I just got one with China stock rom, if plug-in Hong Kong 5G subscription Sim card, the "Perfer network" choice on "5G" is not selectable (simply disappear), however using China carrier 5G sim card, it is selectable . Also the Developer mode option of enable "SA" also disappear. Not sure if other users has such issue. 4G+ using non-chinese carrier has no issue. Any solution to force enable 5G without flash or unlock bootload
Is it 5G selectable for 5G Chinese sim card using in HK?

dwkkwong

Aug 12, 2008
Hmm, is it possible your phone doesn't support the 5G band with the telecom you are using? Also, do you have a 5G plan act

Is it 5G selectable for 5G Chinese sim card using in HK?
original_260cfcca-e1e2-42c5-bdcb-5ac003336655_Screenshot_20210809-091918_hk.png
original_dd3ff59c-dc96-4e8b-ad8b-cad2d906c92c_Screenshot_20210809-091538_cn.png

Sorry for all the late reply. I have reported multiple times to Lenovo China support, however they do not have any answer on it. As demonstrate above. A China Telecom (Mainland China Sim with 5G plan) show 5G selectable. A China Mobile Hong Kong (Hong Kong with 5G plan) show only 4G selectable. I have double check CMHK use N78 band frequency and it does support N78 as advertise in Moto Edge S (Snapdragon 870).

Moreover, I try the same setting process in ROG phone 3 5G(Snapdragon 865+), Poco M3 Pro 5G (MTK 700), Vivo iQoo 7 (Snapdragon 888), iQoo Z1 5G (MTK 1000+) all of them are selectable for 5G in either China or HK sim card. Most likely Moto did a bad job in handling 5G setting for worldwide carrier.

Capture.PNG

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
View attachment 5381301View attachment 5381303

Sorry for all the late reply. I have reported multiple times to Lenovo China support, however they do not have any answer on it. As demonstrate above. A China Telecom (Mainland China Sim with 5G plan) show 5G selectable. A China Mobile Hong Kong (Hong Kong with 5G plan) show only 4G selectable. I have double check CMHK use N78 band frequency and it does support N78 as advertise in Moto Edge S (Snapdragon 870).

Moreover, I try the same setting process in ROG phone 3 5G(Snapdragon 865+), Poco M3 Pro 5G (MTK 700), Vivo iQoo 7 (Snapdragon 888), iQoo Z1 5G (MTK 1000+) all of them are selectable for 5G in either China or HK sim card. Most likely Moto did a bad job in handling 5G setting for worldwide carrier.

View attachment 5381305
Hmm, that's weird. Maybe a bug. Last resort would be to do a factory reset and see if that changes anything.

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
View attachment 5381301View attachment 5381303

View attachment 5381305

I'm starting to see what you mean, I'm running into the same situation except in Canada instead of HK. The 5G option is not showing up.

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
Ok, update. It seems that I managed to get the 5G option to pop up on the phone with a Singapore Sim Card (which is ironically connected to the same Canadian carrier via roaming) to show up the 5G option but not on my local Canadian carrier yet .

Last edited:

EdVoong

Aug 19, 2021
Sorry for thread bumping, but I managed to get the phone connected to the 5G network with my local simcard. All good to go.
I bought my Edge S from a China stock called G100 which has the same n66 band I need to connect to my Canadian 5g Bell provider but my phone doesn't automatically connect to 5g and 5g doesn't appear in preferred network. Which update did you download to be able to connect to 5g? The only update I see is a Chinese update RRN31.Q2.12-14-7 that didn't seem to fix the 5g problem. I downloaded Google carrier services but that has not helped the 5g problem. I don't know if Motorola has a worldwide 5g connectivity problems or if my China stock Motorola edge s called G100 needs to be flashed or forced enabled both which I have never done before so I must be careful not to brick my phone. I need HELP!

EdVoong

Aug 19, 2021
I bought my Edge S from a China stock called G100 which has the same n66 band I need to connect to my Canadian 5g Bell provider but my phone doesn't automatically connect to 5g and 5g doesn't appear in preferred network. Which update did you download to be able to connect to 5g? The only update I see is a Chinese update RRN31.Q2.12-14-7 that didn't seem to fix the 5g problem. I downloaded Google carrier services but that has not helped the 5g problem. I don't know if Motorola has a worldwide 5g connectivity problems or if my China stock Motorola edge s called G100 needs to be flashed or forced enabled both which I have never done before so I must be careful not to brick my phone. I need HELP!

EdVoong

Aug 19, 2021
I transferred my old 4g sim to a newer 5g sim but it didn't change how I can't connect to 5g and when I spoke to a technical support they said my 5g is enabled and is supposed to connect to 5g automatically. I don't have another country sim to check if 5g will appear in preferred network but I'm not sure how that would help me connect to my Canadian 5g service in 5g coverage area.