Question How to actually delete gmail app from system?

Search This thread

bokkoman

May 24, 2009
I'm looking for a way to actually delete/uninstall gmail from system.

I know you can do a command in adb to uninstall, but that just disables the app and leaves the files in the partition.

Looking for a way to actually delete the file, and when i install it through Play Store, it just installs like a regular app, not as system app.

I've been looking through files with MiX explorer. But I'm scared if i delete the file i find, that it bricks my phone after reboot.

I'm rooted and use debloater module in magisk to delete system apps. I like that I can save the list of apps I want to delete and just flash the module after each update to repeat the process.

Deleting an app folder shouldn't break anything, but if you ever have concerns just rename the folder instead of deleting. That way the system can't find it, but it's still there if you need it back.

bokkoman

May 24, 2009
Make sure usb debugging is active on phone in developer options, download fastboot tools connect phone to computer and select always allow usb debugging from this computer on text pop up on phone.
Open cmd line in fastboot tools dir and type
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.gm
Or try this
This is the command i was talking about. It doesn't delete the apk. After i run this and reinstall the app from play store, it is back into system app.

bokkoman

May 24, 2009
it shouldn't

root and use system app remover
That doesn't work.
It is only able to delete the updates. System apk remains.

According to the app it is located here:
/product/app/Gmail2/Gmail2.apk

I dunno if i can delete it, since this phone uses A/B partitions. Usually system apps are located in a different folder.

bokkoman

May 24, 2009
Why are you reinstalling it if you want to delete it?
Maybe look at systemize module to move it from system to data if that's what you are trying to do
I'm trying to delete it to see if it fixes the notifications.
This phone is hunted with push notifications not receiving at all for this app.
Hoping that this would fix it.

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro

I know you can do a command in adb to uninstall, but that just disables the app and leaves the files in the partition.

Looking for a way to actually delete the file, and when i install it through Play Store, it just installs like a regular app, not as system app.

I've been looking through files with MiX explorer. But I'm scared if i delete the file i find, that it bricks my phone after reboot.
I use alpha backup pro to delete gmail (and many other apps), which will permanently remove a system app (need root), however, if you want to do it the safe way, use de-bloater (playstore), which removes apps via magisk, i.e systemless, so you can revert if you f something up. cheers

Reactions: galaxys

gregpilot

Titanium Backup (root) can delete, freeze, and of course, backup system and user apps. Make a backup first, and look over the list of system apps, there are a lot there which are google-related. Freezing will do the same as pm disable....... Uninstall will remove it completely. Whether your device is A/B or not will not matter.

The nice thing about TB is you can see the actual (full) filenames of the packages, and any uninstall/freezes are easily reversible. There are probably other (google) notification service-type apps which are giving you the undesired notifications,

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

bokkoman

May 24, 2009
All these apps can't delete the actual apk in the /products folder.
I guess I'll have to do it manually.

All these apps can't delete the actual apk in the /products folder.
I guess I'll have to do it manually.
Not sure what you mean. Several of these apps do exactly that.

De-bloater Pro (from playstore) deletes the apk from /product (or /vendor, etc.) and moves it to its own folder in /data/adb/modules so that you can restore it later if you so choose (or if you accidentally delete the wrong thing and bootloop).
Debloater (magisk module for terminal) does the same thing. I use it to fully remove several system apps (Netflix, YouTube, YTMusic, etc.) in order to install non-system versions.

bokkoman

May 24, 2009

De-bloater Pro (from playstore) deletes the apk from /product (or /vendor, etc.) and moves it to its own folder in /data/adb/modules so that you can restore it later if you so choose (or if you accidentally delete the wrong thing and bootloop).
Debloater (magisk module for terminal) does the same thing. I use it to fully remove several system apps (Netflix, YouTube, YTMusic, etc.) in order to install non-system versions.
Well, the apps i tried all failed with an error it could not delete it.

I didn't try that one you mentioned, because you have to pay for it.

So i went and tried the debloater module, and you are right. It did delete it. Thank you!

Let's see if this makes any difference.

bokkoman

May 24, 2009
So far, so good.
I have been receiving notifications from Gmail since i deleted the system app and installed it from Play Store as a regular app

Let's see if this continues working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, the apps i tried all failed with an error it could not delete it.

I didn't try that one you mentioned, because you have to pay for it.

So i went and tried the debloater module, and you are right. It did delete it. Thank you!

Let's see if this makes any difference.

I use alpha backup pro to delete gmail (and many other apps), which will permanently remove a system app (need root), however, if you want to do it the safe way, use de-bloater (playstore), which removes apps via magisk, i.e systemless, so you can revert if you f something up. cheers
    Titanium Backup (root) can delete, freeze, and of course, backup system and user apps. Make a backup first, and look over the list of system apps, there are a lot there which are google-related. Freezing will do the same as pm disable....... Uninstall will remove it completely. Whether your device is A/B or not will not matter.

The nice thing about TB is you can see the actual (full) filenames of the packages, and any uninstall/freezes are easily reversible. There are probably other (google) notification service-type apps which are giving you the undesired notifications,

Good luck!