How to add 5G configurations to your Pixel 5 (solved)

Search This thread

cstark27

Jul 2, 2010
Good news everyone! I managed to enable 5G connectivity for my Pixel 5 in Finland. Thanks again to @cstark27 for hinting me to the right direction.

1. First you need to get your phone to show up in QPST. This is done similarly to Pixel 4 XL and you can find the the steps to do so here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83499679&postcount=75
2. Once you have installed QPST open EFS tool. If you have followed the steps in the previous step and have the right drivers installed your phone shows up here. Now you need to navigate to the carrier policy file. More details here: https://mt-tech.fi/en/modify-oneplus-7-pro-5g-8-and-8-pro-nr-lte-a-band-combos/
3. PLEASE remember to backup the original file! Pixel 5's file is different from the OnePlus example linked above. I simply added 5G to every rat_capability field, saved the file and then replaced the original file with the modified one. As usual, you have all the responsibility of your device and its modifications.​

Now that 5G is working, all that's left is to find a way to enable VoLTE. Replacing MBN files has worked in other devices so perhaps it could be the solution here as well.

Have you seen this thread? https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-4-xl/how-to/activate-volte-om-pixel-4xl-android-11-r-t4163217

mordof

Jan 19, 2006
tel aviv
Google Pixel 5
Qpst

Hello guys
I need your help please
I am looking for the engineering toggle, where or how can I find it?

Also looking for diag driver?

Please help me resolve that issue

Lemon200

Sep 29, 2012

Actually yes, but I haven't tried many MBNs yet. If this is a working method, it seems to be more of an trial and error -type of workaround. My carrier is Telia in Finland so finding a working MBN for VoLTE seems to be difficult.

When I have more time I will look into this more, right now my master's studies are taking the majority of my time. If someone has read my posts here and manages to enable VoLTE for an uncertified carrier, please let me know.

mordof

Jan 19, 2006
tel aviv
Google Pixel 5
VoLTE + wifi calling just working fine on my pixel 5 ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201126-231753.png
    Screenshot_20201126-231753.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 655

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
So happy for you to get 5G, but it looks like this method requires root, and I can't root the phone because banking apps don't allow it. I guess I still have to wait for google to fix the issue :(

inkogn

Nov 1, 2010
So happy for you to get 5G, but it looks like this method requires root, and I can't root the phone because banking apps don't allow it. I guess I still have to wait for google to fix the issue :(

This is not issue anymore. Magisk root solution hides root from selected applications. Google pay and bank apps work fine

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
This is not issue anymore. Magisk root solution hides root from selected applications. Google pay and bank apps work fine

I tried rooting the phone and now I got 5G & VoLTE, thanks to @cstark27 and @Lemon200.

So far so good, until I found out I cannot get google pay to accept contactless payment.

Here's what I did:

I rooted the device with magisk as described in this link, also used MagiskHide Props Config to simulate to pixel 3a to pass safetynet
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...ide-for-beginners-intermediate-users-0348101/

then I follow the instructions from the posts above to get 5G and VoLTE

After that, I check if google pay and banking apps work. Banking apps work perfectly

But for google pay, it only allows me to add credit card to my account, and does not allow me to use contactless payment. The added cards can make online payment to buy apps and books from google store, but I can't use my phone to make NFC payment in a physical store (in-app picture attached)

Somehow I found that when I change the SIM card and data to the eSIM by google fi, NFC payment is enabled automatically for these same cards. (the "not setup" and grey icon disappeared, and replaced with the text "hold near terminal to pay" )

I am not sure but I guess it's the problem with the SIM card with modified carrier policy file, because it works on the eSIM which I have not modified the similar file

Do you have the same problem?

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
I tried rooting the phone and now I got 5G & VoLTE, thanks to @cstark27 and @Lemon200.

So far so good, until I found out I cannot get google pay to accept contactless payment.

Here's what I did:

I rooted the device with magisk as described in this link, also used MagiskHide Props Config to simulate to pixel 3a to pass safetynet
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...ide-for-beginners-intermediate-users-0348101/

then I follow the instructions from the posts above to get 5G and VoLTE

After that, I check if google pay and banking apps work. Banking apps work perfectly

But for google pay, it only allows me to add credit card to my account, and does not allow me to use contactless payment. The added cards can make online payment to buy apps and books from google store, but I can't use my phone to make NFC payment in a physical store (in-app picture attached)

Somehow I found that when I change the SIM card and data to the eSIM by google fi, NFC payment is enabled automatically for these same cards. (the "not setup" and grey icon disappeared, and replaced with the text "hold near terminal to pay" )

I am not sure but I guess it's the problem with the SIM card with modified carrier policy file, because it works on the eSIM which I have not modified the similar file

Do you have the same problem?

I have wiped the device and started all over again. The google pay problem is already there after I have rooted the device and successfully passed safetynet, this is before I mess with 5G and VoLTE or any other things

eijnaix

Mar 25, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have wiped the device and started all over again. The google pay problem is already there after I have rooted the device and successfully passed safetynet, this is before I mess with 5G and VoLTE or any other things

Thanks for the update @cescman

So i guess magiskhide props config is failing now.... i'm wondering if all these is worth the effort to get 5G and VOLTE. I'm assuming it will affect future google update....right ?

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
I have 5G enabled now but cannot get volte working. I got the switch in the settings to enable volte but if does nothing when I switch it on. Cannot get the phone registered when I check IMS status with *#*#4636#*#*

Here's what I did:
Downloaded volte_pixel4.zip
Changed the mbn file (to the one which others using the same mobile service provider as me and works in pixel 4xl)
Put the zip to my phone
Installed and enabled the module in magisk
Reboot
Enabled volte in phone settings
Checked IMS but it's still not registered

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
Thanks for the update @cescman

So i guess magiskhide props config is failing now.... i'm wondering if all these is worth the effort to get 5G and VOLTE. I'm assuming it will affect future google update....right ?
Tested in a store, it actually worked. I can pay in store despite the phone showing it's not setup

noottt

Mar 1, 2007
Groningen
Hi ll, would love to know if I can enable 5g on my new pixel 4a 5g that i went and picked up in Germany. I live in the Netherlands and the Pixels aren't sold here so 5g is not enabled. I tried to distill a method to enable 5g, lurking these forums but i can't figure it out. Seems it's a bit complicated to do it. I got Root and all and don't really care for Volte though (wouldn't mind it either). Can someone help me out of point me in the right direction? Or should i just wait and hope google will enable this 5g function in the future updates?

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
I have 5G enabled now but cannot get volte working. I got the switch in the settings to enable volte but if does nothing when I switch it on. Cannot get the phone registered when I check IMS status with *#*#4636#*#*

Here's what I did:
Downloaded volte_pixel4.zip
Changed the mbn file (to the one which others using the same mobile service provider as me and works in pixel 4xl)
Put the zip to my phone
Installed and enabled the module in magisk
Reboot
Enabled volte in phone settings
Checked IMS but it's still not registered

Tried this method many times with a lot of mbn files in the zip but none worked. I also googled and found the specific mbn file for my carrier, but it didn't work either. This is so frustrating as 3G is fading out and it's getting harder to have data when I receive a phone call

Also tried to set SELinux permissive, not only did it not work, but I also lost 5G and back to 4G only

Do you guys have any ideas as to what might have happened? Your help is much appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have absolutely the same thought and conclusion. It's time to find a new brand. I don't like Samsung because of the heavy changes they make on AOSP, so I'll probably go to Motorola. What brands are you considering?

In the meantime, I tried to root my Pixel 5 just to later insert new modem settings to support 5G in my country. Ended up with a soft bricked phone (no system and fastboot refusing to flash) that I could eventually bring back to life without root. And although I know there are a lot of people here willing to help, the sole purpose of getting 5G is not worth a newbie's effort. 😞
    If you go to the Pixel 5 Questions section there is a tool called Pixel Flasher that can do the rooting for you
    Not working. I just delete root app and I am going back to stock and one reason was Google pay. It was good to see 5g here in Brazil(it was my goal) but I can't keep my mainly phone without GPay, and others apps(or i do not have knowledge enough, but I don't even want to use APK mirror or something like that). After delete root app I realize there was more apps that wasn't with update option on play store even in an old version.
    Universal Safetynet fix along with deny list and zygisk will let you use Gpay and the play store
    I grateful if someone can Prepare Video in Youtube to how can to enable 5g and VoLTE with full details to support and help everyone need it (LIKE ME 😌)

thank you guys
    Issue is totally at Google. Mostly it is management decision, but not technical. I was on contact with my carrier, they tried to push me on 5G manually but said the the Pixel 5 not announce it's 5G capabilities to the network! The phone must return some parameters to base station but it doesn't do it. In private discuss with an engineer from the carrier I've understand that Google also ignoring the official complains from the carrier. This exactly will be my last Google phone.
    If you want to change something send support cases to Google, as much as more you can.
    I enabled volte on my 4a 5G. It should also work with Pixel5, I think.
    I can confirm this to work with the Pixel 5 aswell. A bit of a hassle but IMS shows as registered when the phone is in NR/LTE mode. For some reason VoLTE does not register when phone is set to use also 3g and GSM. However, with VoLTE working, there's really no downside leaving the phone locked to LTE and NR as 4G coverage is very good in my country.

As a bonus, the phone also now shows the HD icon in calls indicating HD voice being enabled. Thank you!
    To my understanding, you can't do this, allow 5g, volte etc without root?
    That would be correct
    Late but this is the case. I have a Oneplus 8 IN2013 rooted with a different LTE profile via PDC. I have both 5G and VoLTE despite it not being supported by any of the carriers(Spark, Voda and Skinny).

I am too keen if anyone figures this out because I'd like to switch to a Pixel 5 and stay in the Android eco system and ditch my Oneplus 8 so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

You're not getting VoLTE or 5G due to a literal misconfiguration. A Spark rep have already said that it's not going to be supported in this Geekzone thread https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=280371&page_no=1#2619750 (there's actually quite a bit about this).

I honestly hope someone figures it out or enough complaints/demand grows for Pixel phones to start being supported in NZ. I'm sick of NZ getting the short of the stick but I am now ranting at this point :p
    omg another kiwi <3

I read on a Korean forum that phones must be registered to the carrier as a "VoLTE capable OMD (Open Model Device)". That forum says that users must call or visit their carrier customer support centre to register their phone as OMD. I think this means that carriers have a "certified" model names for VoLTE and as long as the device model is one of those pre-certified ones, VoLTE will work. Or ask your carrier to register your device for VoLTE.

I'm on Vodafone and I have successfully enabled 5G connection on my Pixel 5 using this method
    However, it seems that March update changed things up a bit that this method no longer works. However, my 5G connection stays enabled even through sim card swaps.

I couldn't enable VoLTE by editing the EFS partition though. So my theory is that even if my phone has the correct necessary files for NZ's carrier VoLTE configuration, it still won't work unless the phone model is registered to the carrier. This explains that in that geekzone link post #2643155 , someone who bought a Galaxy Note 9 from HongKong has VoLTE working in NZ probably because the Galaxy Note 9 is officially sold by NZ carriers, therefore the Note 9 model is a "certified" model in the carrier's system.

I also made a Magisk module https://github.com/swangjang/Pixel-Bramble-Redfin-Carrier-Patch in theory which supposedly force-enables 5G. Also adding in other Countries/Carriers mbn files from other devices which uses the same chip as the Pixel 5.