How to add 5G configurations to your Pixel 5 (solved)

Search This thread

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5
From the creator's repo:
After flashing in, restart, then enter the system, connect to the computer, enter the ADB interface, enter adb shell and enter settings put global captive_portal_mode 0 After pressing OK, everything can be used normally [If there is a situation that requires manual input, please give me feedback]

they said android 7>= doesn't relevant with settings put global captive_portal_mode 0

(10) GUIDE: How to avoid the Captive Portal Checkin to Google | XDA Developers Forums (xda-developers.com)

demosuzki

Feb 24, 2021
Finally got all services for my unsupported carrier (KPN NL 204 08).

Here's the magisk module,

I added KPN in Module

would love some help here if you can

attempting the same for telia sweden.

I've rooted and have magisk working.

I've looked inside the kpn 5 module you have. it seems straight forward.
what I think I need to do is find a oneplus mpn file for telia, replace it in the tree, zip it up again, package it as a magisk module and install with magisk

questions
/ it is that simple?
/ any pointers to where to find the mpn files ?
/ any pointers to how to make or merge in that zip the magdisk module?

Last edited:

Ivanovic

would love some help here if you can

attempting the same for telia sweden.

I've rooted and have magisk working.

I've looked inside the kpn 5 module you have. it seems straight forward.
what I think I need to do is find a oneplus mpn file for telia, replace it in the tree, zip it up again, package it as a magisk module and install with magisk

questions
/ it is that simple?
/ any pointers to where to find the mpn files ?
/ any pointers to how to make or merge in that zip the magdisk module?

This is the Telia mbn from Oneplus nord modem partition. Open with 7zip the chinese module and replace the file inside the Telia Sweden folder with this one.

demosuzki

Feb 24, 2021
This is the Telia mbn from Oneplus nord modem partition. Open with 7zip the chinese module and replace the file inside the Telia Sweden folder with this one.
thank you.

that worked. my problem with the zip/compressor on the mac didn't work to the magisk format.
winrar on a pc did.

IT WORKED ! 760Mb download. :)

thanks again

Last edited:

dDesuKb

Nov 13, 2012
It could simply be that your carrier is also using IMEI to register for VoLTE and this may mean that only if you buy a phone directly from your carrier, it will have the phone's IMEI whitelisted on their network.
My carrier is Vodafone NZ and I tried using other Vodafone VoLTE mbn files to replace my ims folder with no luck. I'm guessing that the phone's IMEI must also be registered in their network.

Also, if you open the ims_user_agent in notepad++, is there your carrier's name written in there (e.g. "Vodafone VoLTE Qualcomm") or just a series of "nul" blocks? Because even if you use a different phone's mbn for your carrier, it won't make any difference if the ims_user_agent is blank.

As far as I know, I don't think Pixel phones have FTM mode.
But I don't think it's due to IMEI. Because on its website it says all postpaid and prepaid customers are eligible and just mentioned another requirements is supported device.

Well, since Pixel phones are not officially sold here in my country, so definitely they're not listed in the supported models

Late but this is the case. I have a Oneplus 8 IN2013 rooted with a different LTE profile via PDC. I have both 5G and VoLTE despite it not being supported by any of the carriers(Spark, Voda and Skinny).

I am too keen if anyone figures this out because I'd like to switch to a Pixel 5 and stay in the Android eco system and ditch my Oneplus 8 so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

You're not getting VoLTE or 5G due to a literal misconfiguration. A Spark rep have already said that it's not going to be supported in this Geekzone thread https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=280371&page_no=1#2619750 (there's actually quite a bit about this).

I honestly hope someone figures it out or enough complaints/demand grows for Pixel phones to start being supported in NZ. I'm sick of NZ getting the short of the stick but I am now ranting at this point :p

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
Late but this is the case. I have a Oneplus 8 IN2013 rooted with a different LTE profile via PDC. I have both 5G and VoLTE despite it not being supported by any of the carriers(Spark, Voda and Skinny).

I am too keen if anyone figures this out because I'd like to switch to a Pixel 5 and stay in the Android eco system and ditch my Oneplus 8 so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

You're not getting VoLTE or 5G due to a literal misconfiguration. A Spark rep have already said that it's not going to be supported in this Geekzone thread https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=280371&page_no=1#2619750 (there's actually quite a bit about this).

I honestly hope someone figures it out or enough complaints/demand grows for Pixel phones to start being supported in NZ. I'm sick of NZ getting the short of the stick but I am now ranting at this point :p
omg another kiwi <3

I read on a Korean forum that phones must be registered to the carrier as a "VoLTE capable OMD (Open Model Device)". That forum says that users must call or visit their carrier customer support centre to register their phone as OMD. I think this means that carriers have a "certified" model names for VoLTE and as long as the device model is one of those pre-certified ones, VoLTE will work. Or ask your carrier to register your device for VoLTE.

I'm on Vodafone and I have successfully enabled 5G connection on my Pixel 5 using this method
However, it seems that March update changed things up a bit that this method no longer works. However, my 5G connection stays enabled even through sim card swaps.

I couldn't enable VoLTE by editing the EFS partition though. So my theory is that even if my phone has the correct necessary files for NZ's carrier VoLTE configuration, it still won't work unless the phone model is registered to the carrier. This explains that in that geekzone link post #2643155 , someone who bought a Galaxy Note 9 from HongKong has VoLTE working in NZ probably because the Galaxy Note 9 is officially sold by NZ carriers, therefore the Note 9 model is a "certified" model in the carrier's system.

I also made a Magisk module https://github.com/swangjang/Pixel-Bramble-Redfin-Carrier-Patch in theory which supposedly force-enables 5G. Also adding in other Countries/Carriers mbn files from other devices which uses the same chip as the Pixel 5.

baboon23

Apr 9, 2020
Hello friends!
Cool stuff.
Is there a security risk with installing these custom modems? Where did they come from, are they modified in any way or still signed, just from a different manufacturer?

Also, is there neat trick to keep magisk installed after OTA updates or do you just flash magisk+these zips after every update?

Lastly, why aren't all pixel ROM makers merging this? What possible reason is there to not want VoLTE for all users?

Kars88

Dec 14, 2008
Amsterdam
The android 12 developer preview 3 is packed with more carrier settings. All carriers in the Netherlands have support and they updated the expired apn settings. I found a carrier policy containing a very detailed list for europe with 5G support.

I suspect they are included with the upcoming may patch. I didn't expect Google tot fix this, a very pleasent surprise!

Reactions: fuadhdmini

baboon23

Apr 9, 2020
Thanks Kars, can you please check if there's anything about these in the preview

Cellcom
Partner Communications
Pelephone
Golan Telecom

Reactions: axel92a

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I grateful if someone can Prepare Video in Youtube to how can to enable 5g and VoLTE with full details to support and help everyone need it (LIKE ME 😌)

thank you guys
    Issue is totally at Google. Mostly it is management decision, but not technical. I was on contact with my carrier, they tried to push me on 5G manually but said the the Pixel 5 not announce it's 5G capabilities to the network! The phone must return some parameters to base station but it doesn't do it. In private discuss with an engineer from the carrier I've understand that Google also ignoring the official complains from the carrier. This exactly will be my last Google phone.
    If you want to change something send support cases to Google, as much as more you can.

omg another kiwi <3

I read on a Korean forum that phones must be registered to the carrier as a "VoLTE capable OMD (Open Model Device)". That forum says that users must call or visit their carrier customer support centre to register their phone as OMD. I think this means that carriers have a "certified" model names for VoLTE and as long as the device model is one of those pre-certified ones, VoLTE will work. Or ask your carrier to register your device for VoLTE.

I'm on Vodafone and I have successfully enabled 5G connection on my Pixel 5 using this method
    However, it seems that March update changed things up a bit that this method no longer works. However, my 5G connection stays enabled even through sim card swaps.

I couldn't enable VoLTE by editing the EFS partition though. So my theory is that even if my phone has the correct necessary files for NZ's carrier VoLTE configuration, it still won't work unless the phone model is registered to the carrier. This explains that in that geekzone link post #2643155 , someone who bought a Galaxy Note 9 from HongKong has VoLTE working in NZ probably because the Galaxy Note 9 is officially sold by NZ carriers, therefore the Note 9 model is a "certified" model in the carrier's system.

I also made a Magisk module https://github.com/swangjang/Pixel-Bramble-Redfin-Carrier-Patch in theory which supposedly force-enables 5G. Also adding in other Countries/Carriers mbn files from other devices which uses the same chip as the Pixel 5.
    To my understanding, you can't do this, allow 5g, volte etc without root?
    That would be correct
    I enabled volte on my 4a 5G. It should also work with Pixel5, I think.
    I can confirm this to work with the Pixel 5 aswell. A bit of a hassle but IMS shows as registered when the phone is in NR/LTE mode. For some reason VoLTE does not register when phone is set to use also 3g and GSM. However, with VoLTE working, there's really no downside leaving the phone locked to LTE and NR as 4G coverage is very good in my country.

As a bonus, the phone also now shows the HD icon in calls indicating HD voice being enabled. Thank you!