[How To] Add Internal Qi charging While Retaining NFC

Search This thread

burnski

Mar 9, 2013
WARNING: I am not responsible if you break your phone. Proceed at own risk!

So I have received a ton of questions regarding how I added Qi to my phone, and its sort of scattered throughout this thread so I decided to edit the OP and lay it out step by step.

Here are the parts I used:

GalaxyS4 charging card: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331536120289
LG G3 coil combo: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261756381973

You will need both becase the S4 card does not include NFC, and the G3 card does not include the Qi PCB circuitry.

power down, remove sim, remove battery cover, remove lower speaker module. you can find how this is done here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/OnePlus+One+Teardown/26484 (you do NOT need to remove the upper cover nor the battery. just the back cover and lower speaker assembly)

Solder wires to the outside pins:

attachment.php

Route the wires into the battery cavity, replace the speaker. Here is the wiring diagram of a Micro-USB cable. Since the OPO is laying face down, this image would have to be "inserted" into the plug on the OPO then flipped so the narrow part of the plug faces up. The +5 pin ends up on the right like in my photo above.:

569499056-533.jpg

Remove the paper from the S4 card, cut out this part. Be sure to take note of which trace leads to the "outside" and "inside" of the coil:

attachment.php

and solder the wires from the micro-USB port to the coresponding pins marked on the S4 PCB (on the right side in this image) +5 & GND. I used a small piece of thin 2-sided tape to stick it to the battery.

Also follow the traces in the PCB for the Qi coil side. On the left side of the PCB I added a red wire to the trace that goes to the outside of the coil, and a black wire to the trace that goes to the inside of the coil:

attachment.php

I then removed the G3 Qi/NFC coil from its paper backing, and cut to seperate the NFC from the Qi traces. I just cut along this gap:

attachment.php

Next just align the POGO pins on the OPO to the NFC pins on the G3 card:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I "accordioned" the NFC traces so that the coil will sit higher / more central on the rear of the phone. Use 2-sided tape to hold it in place.

Then take the leads you soldered to the coil side of the S4 PCB board and match the red to the lead that goes to the outside of the G3 coil.

attachment.php

Carefully stick it all down to the battery. Here is the finished install:

attachment.php

Now just remove the NFC coil from the inside of your back cover. I also removed the sticker from the inside of the styleswap cover (only exists on bamboo - does not exist on the black or white covers). I also sanded down the plastic ledge around the location of the OEM NFC to free up a every tiny bit of available space:

attachment.php

and close everything back up. Mine fit perfectly flush with the bamboo cover:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Done!

I have an LG WCP-300 Qi charging puck. It has a rated output of 1000mA. It looks like this:

attachment.php

and I consistently get 850-900mA while charging:

attachment.php

NFC works exactly like stock, the Micro-USB port also works exactly like stock. I can still charge over micro-USB and get the proper 1800mA charge rate while using it.

Any questions just let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_20150108_175251.jpg
    IMG_20150108_175251.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 35,607
  • IMG_20150108_180252.jpg
    IMG_20150108_180252.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 16,685
  • IMG_20150108_180935.jpg
    IMG_20150108_180935.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 13,521
  • IMG_20150108_181257.jpg
    IMG_20150108_181257.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 16,013
  • IMG_20150108_182248.jpg
    IMG_20150108_182248.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 12,725
  • Screenshot_2015-01-08-18-19-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-08-18-19-50.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 12,798
Last edited:

mtxx1

Aug 4, 2012
may i know what is the app you used to measure the charging current?

burnski

Mar 9, 2013
For anyone interested, here is last nights batter log. Note that I put it on the charger last night around 11:45pm, took it off the charger at 6:48am this morning.

Attachments

• bmw_history.txt
    38.5 KB · Views: 388

cgjjaf

Jun 25, 2010
So for two years I loved having wireless charging with my nexus 4, and the lack of it with the OnePlus One was the only shortcoming I settled over. I finally got tired of going without it, so decided it was time to do something about it. I had a spare qi receiver for a Samsung s4 kicking around so I decided to open up my opo and perform surgery. It was a success and I can finally bid farewell to the loose cables laying around again!

Note that with the screen off it charges at approx 460mA. Sure it's not as fast as the stock charger but this is about convenience not speed. If I'm in a hurry I can still use the stock charger for a bump... But the reality is that my old n4 was always fully charged because whenever I sat it down I sat it on a charger.

Edit: so it's spent the night in the charger and I found something interesting according to the battery monitor widget log.

I put it in the charger at 11:45pm with 28% battery remaining. It charged at a rate of approx 875mA and by 1:30am it had reach 80% battery. Then the battery rate of charge dropped to approx 100mA until it reached 100% at approx 6:00am.

This looks like a great mod, would you mind putting specific instructions on how to do it? I can get the idea from the pics, but I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks.

Lupercal

Jul 23, 2010
I just switched to a OPO from a Nexus 4, and wireless charging is the only thing I miss... well, and Seidio cases and holsters; I really like their products.

Anyway, couple questions about your mod; do you think copper tape would work? I'd prefer not to do any soldering. And, does your coil interfere with NFC function?

Reactions: cavityking

adas1223

May 11, 2011
I put an s5 qi charger in mine. 750-800mah screen on. Screen off approximately 15-20% per hour. The NFC blocks alot of the potential. Maybe place your coil between the antennae and the back cover.

Glad to see people are not afraid to tear apart their opo

Reactions: prozack1983

burnski

Mar 9, 2013
I just switched to a OPO from a Nexus 4, and wireless charging is the only thing I miss... well, and Seidio cases and holsters; I really like their products.

Anyway, couple questions about your mod; do you think copper tape would work? I'd prefer not to do any soldering. And, does your coil interfere with NFC function?

I actually bought the white style swap back that doesn't have the nfc. I honestly have no use for the nfc coil so that buys me 1-2mm of space.

If I do find I need nfc down the road I'll buy the lg g3 qi/nfc combo coil and swap it out.

barrmulio

Oct 5, 2010
Has any tried to get a charger with the micro usb between a case (diztronic) and the back?

I'm a bit worried about ruining the sandstone so i may get a generic cover

adzidek

Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
So for two years I loved having wireless charging with my nexus 4, and the lack of it with the OnePlus One was the only shortcoming I settled over. I finally got tired of going without it, so decided it was time to do something about it. I had a spare qi receiver for a Samsung s4 kicking around so I decided to open up my opo and perform surgery. It was a success and I can finally bid farewell to the loose cables laying around again!

Note that with the screen off it charges at approx 460mA. Sure it's not as fast as the stock charger but this is about convenience not speed. If I'm in a hurry I can still use the stock charger for a bump... But the reality is that my old n4 was always fully charged because whenever I sat it down I sat it on a charger.

Edit: so it's spent the night in the charger and I found something interesting according to the battery monitor widget log.

I put it in the charger at 11:45pm with 28% battery remaining. It charged at a rate of approx 875mA and by 1:30am it had reach 80% battery. Then the battery rate of charge dropped to approx 100mA until it reached 100% at approx 6:00am.

does it matter which pin gets the black and which pin gets the red? I'm looking at an S5 coil that i want to adapt to my OPO, but that coil doesn't identify red/black...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: I am not responsible if you break your phone. Proceed at own risk!

So I have received a ton of questions regarding how I added Qi to my phone, and its sort of scattered throughout this thread so I decided to edit the OP and lay it out step by step.

Here are the parts I used:

GalaxyS4 charging card: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331536120289
    LG G3 coil combo: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261756381973

You will need both becase the S4 card does not include NFC, and the G3 card does not include the Qi PCB circuitry.

power down, remove sim, remove battery cover, remove lower speaker module. you can find how this is done here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/OnePlus+One+Teardown/26484 (you do NOT need to remove the upper cover nor the battery. just the back cover and lower speaker assembly)

Solder wires to the outside pins:

attachment.php

Route the wires into the battery cavity, replace the speaker. Here is the wiring diagram of a Micro-USB cable. Since the OPO is laying face down, this image would have to be "inserted" into the plug on the OPO then flipped so the narrow part of the plug faces up. The +5 pin ends up on the right like in my photo above.:

569499056-533.jpg

Remove the paper from the S4 card, cut out this part. Be sure to take note of which trace leads to the "outside" and "inside" of the coil:

attachment.php

and solder the wires from the micro-USB port to the coresponding pins marked on the S4 PCB (on the right side in this image) +5 & GND. I used a small piece of thin 2-sided tape to stick it to the battery.

Also follow the traces in the PCB for the Qi coil side. On the left side of the PCB I added a red wire to the trace that goes to the outside of the coil, and a black wire to the trace that goes to the inside of the coil:

attachment.php

I then removed the G3 Qi/NFC coil from its paper backing, and cut to seperate the NFC from the Qi traces. I just cut along this gap:

attachment.php

Next just align the POGO pins on the OPO to the NFC pins on the G3 card:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I "accordioned" the NFC traces so that the coil will sit higher / more central on the rear of the phone. Use 2-sided tape to hold it in place.

Then take the leads you soldered to the coil side of the S4 PCB board and match the red to the lead that goes to the outside of the G3 coil.

attachment.php

Carefully stick it all down to the battery. Here is the finished install:

attachment.php

Now just remove the NFC coil from the inside of your back cover. I also removed the sticker from the inside of the styleswap cover (only exists on bamboo - does not exist on the black or white covers). I also sanded down the plastic ledge around the location of the OEM NFC to free up a every tiny bit of available space:

attachment.php

and close everything back up. Mine fit perfectly flush with the bamboo cover:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Done!

I have an LG WCP-300 Qi charging puck. It has a rated output of 1000mA. It looks like this:

attachment.php

and I consistently get 850-900mA while charging:

attachment.php

NFC works exactly like stock, the Micro-USB port also works exactly like stock. I can still charge over micro-USB and get the proper 1800mA charge rate while using it.

Any questions just let me know!
    does it matter which pin gets the black and which pin gets the red? I'm looking at an S5 coil that i want to adapt to my OPO, but that coil doesn't identify red/black...

yes it matters very much.

The qi receiver I used actually had the contacts marked a "+5" and "neg" so it made it very easy to identify, but if your coils isnt marked just use a multimeter while the pad is on a charger to identify which is + and -.

then in my first pic I have the wire soldered to the correct pins (red=+, black=-). You can also refer to this diagram:
    569499056-533.jpg
    So it sat on the charger all night. Warmed up to 30°C as it approached 100% Ruth cooled back down to 28.
    For anyone interested, here is last nights batter log. Note that I put it on the charger last night around 11:45pm, took it off the charger at 6:48am this morning.

I actually bought the white style swap back that doesn't have the nfc. I honestly have no use for the nfc coil so that buys me 1-2mm of space.

If I do find I need nfc down the road I'll buy the lg g3 qi/nfc combo coil and swap it out.